Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Baby Woodland Pigeon - Help!

Options
  • 05-10-2006 9:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi,

Ive got a baby wood pigeon which has been hand reared. I found it out walking and it was lying on a path with no sign of a nest or anything like it near by and with a lot of cats around, I couldnt just leave it to be killed!!

Anyway its getting quite big now and becoming difficult to keep as we've been hand rearing it..I cant just realease it as it would have no idea how to fend for itself...The ISPCC recommended me to goto the phoneix park and realease..nice. But it cant even feed itself so it would not last long...Does anyone know anywhere that take pigeons in..there are lots of places in England that do this but I can seem to find anywhere in Ireland that does this...I live in Dublin but would be willing to travel anywhere to help it!

Any advice would be much appreciated...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭FranknFurter

Releasing it if it was hand-reared is probably NOT a good idea I agree. Can't believe they told you just do that! (*Sigh* Well, actually, unfortunately I can believe they did).

For the moment, if it were me I'd try just scattering its food on the floor of the cage to see if it is able to realise that there is food on the ground.

B

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭Arcadian

You could do a soft release from your back garden/balcony. Borrow a large cage like a dog crate and allow the bird a couple of days to acclimate to the outdoors and take in its surroundings, while keeping it well fed. Then just open the cage and let it explore in its own time, leaving out plenty of food. It will return for food but will eventually learn to support itself. Needless to say you'll have to protect him from cats during this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tommyburke

yeah they werent exactly helpfull with that suggestion, condemn to poor little chap to his death!!

I think both yer eplies are helpful all right...cant believe there are no bird sanctuaries around..have checked all over the net and found nothing...oh well!

thanks for the advice though anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

You can bring it here. It can live semi wild here if it wishes and no cats about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tommyburke

Apologies for the delay in getting back to you egar, lost my internet for a few weeks there..

Anyway could you give me more details on the location you have. Do you have other birds? Is it out in the country etc.. Is it safe!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I am living in the middle of nowhere and I run an animal shelter, there is also a small colony of pidgeons living in the trees behind my house. I am in County Galway. You can PM me here for more info.

Advertisement