Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roches is breathing his last

Options
  • 05-10-2006 10:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭

Roches has adverts in the window: Clearance sale, evereything up to 30%

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 173 ✭✭scrattletrap

Not everything is up 30% off, just somethings !!

Was in there yesterday when the signs were up but the only discounted things I could see were handbags and Christmas decorations. Not much of a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭lasno

And for the record it is not Roches anymore, it is now known as Debenhams
    Retail Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭motormouthmable

lasno wrote:
    And for the record it is not Roches anymore, it is now known as Debenhams
    Retail Ireland.

is it? really? then they should take away the ROCHES signs inside and outside.

for the records

If the signs bother you that much I am sure that if you ask nicely they will remove them.

frankly, my dear, i don't give a damn about the signs there. until they not have their debenhams or whatever signs on it they are still roches for me. i suppose i will call them roches even if they have the debenhams signs on it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

At least the staff will have jobs, unlike the poor roches staff in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

frankly, my dear, i don't give a damn about the signs there. until they not have their debenhams or whatever signs on it they are still roches for me. i suppose i will call them roches even if they have the debenhams signs on it.

It will be have been Debenhams for a month from tomorrow, They took over the company and staff on the 6th of September and have been operating as such since then, the signs have not been removed as the Debenhams ones have not arrived.

As for knowing about it, there is a notice on the front door clearly stating that it is Debenhams and there is a customer notice at each point of sale stating that it is now Debenhams, the changes in refund and exchange policy and the change in debit card policy. All Roches stickers and Roches sale tags have been done away with and the transfer of systems should be complete this month. Roches bags are still being used as it would be a waste of stock to destroy them, but Debenhams bags will have arrived in time for the Christmas buying spree

Many people are afriad of the massive Debenhams price myth

Debenhams have items across a RANGE OF PRICES and are not necessarily expensive
    Not everything is up 30% off, just somethings !!

Was in there yesterday when the signs were up but the only discounted things I could see were handbags and Christmas decorations. Not much of a sale.

Didn't look very hard so. Menswear is reduced by up to 50% Ladieswear by up to 70%, admittedly homewares aren't significantly reduced.

Debenhams stock is now reduced - as they are now having their mid-season sale. why would it be otherwise. They just want rid of the Roches stock so they can get on with what they do!!

They would have to go through the planning process before changing anything anyway.

Never thought of that:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

It's gonna be known as "Roches" for along time to come. Like Tesco, you still hear the odd few calling it "crazies" and "quinnsworth"!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

all this talk about "Quinsworth" and "Crazy Prices" is enough to drive a guy to drink so I went into "Cruises Hotel" for a quick one and all I could find were $$$$$$$ CD's !!!! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

well i guess theres no chance of debenhams being in the Opera now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

And I for one will defend to the death- TO THE DEATH - your right to do that!

Fight on, Mable, Fight on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

It's gonna be known as "Roches" for along time to come. Like Tesco, you still hear the odd few calling it "crazies" and "quinnsworth"!

Yep I'll be one of the "Crazies"
    Brown Thomas will always be Todds to me.
    I still call Tesco Quinnsworth sometimes when not thinking.
    I used to go into Cruises Hotel to use the Loo.

~B

Debenhams won't make any major structural changes anyhow because;

1. Roche Property Management owns it *(the building)
    2. The future of the building isn't certain ( City Centre Development)

So it'll still be Roches really

*edit

I am having difficulty finding yellow pack products in Quinsworth in Roxboro of late ;) anyone got an idea as to why.

On the brown thomas thing, there were four stores they used to reel them off in their TV adverts. Switzers, Cash's Moone's Todd's all became brown thomas afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

The Signs are coming down! Roches Stores....is Gone! :(:(:(

I actually shed a tear passing in the car tonight. I'm looking for a new job now, not that they're gettin rid of us(some management are going), but its just not the same

RochesStores1968.jpg

Ah sure t'will be missed. Bit of a rip-off though, can't see Debenams being much cheaper though.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

Aaaagh! :eek: There's a car going down Sarsfield Street the wrong way - quick, tell 'em!

• Advertisement

RochesStores1968.jpg

Ah sure t'will be missed. Bit of a rip-off though, can't see Debenams being much cheaper though.

...it's a disgrace. And there's trees growing outta de side of Roches. You'd think someone would clean it up!

This morning they were taking down the ROCHES signs outside. It's going to an end...
    Oh, I loved the Springfield sale in the old mens department. It had a bit of Penneys and TKMAXX!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 100 ✭✭dv

Anyone think there's any chance there might be some movement on the Liddy St. shacks with Debenhams in charge?

Roches still own the property they are just leasing the selling space to Debenhams. Yes Liddy street is a bit of a mess!

There were suggestions mooted six months ago that a new 'opera' type centre could be built on the Roches/Penneys/Liddy Street block (and possibly the Dunnes block), across and over the park and join onto Arthurs Quay Shopping Centre with a pedestrian tunnel joining onto the new Opera Centre. The road from the river and Dunnes in between Roches and Penneys back door and AQSC would be sent underground emerging again by Sarsfield House. The new centre would be built in stages causing the minimum disruption to existing buildings.
    Haven't heard any more about it since but it sounds like one grand project.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

I saw a planning application on one of the shops on Liddy street to retain a few of the premises as storage areas for 5 years so it doesn't look like anything is going to happen.

What are you talking about Penny's for? Surely you mean Cannocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Crea wrote:
    What are you talking about Penny's for? Surely you mean Cannocks.

I think most people stopped associating it with Cannocks the day Penny's decided to make a laughing stock of one of our city's best known landmarks, Cannock's clock.

bazz26 wrote:
    I think most people stopped associating it with Cannocks the day Penny's decided to make a laughing stock of one of our city's best known landmarks, Cannock's clock.

Fully agree with that. It was once a fine clock on a beautiful building renovated by Peter Tait. The building once belonged to Cumine & Mitchel.
    Tait arrived in Limerick in 1844 aged 16 from Scotland and worked for them. C & M then sold to Arnott and Cannock who put Tait out of work. Tait went on to make an incredible fortune, starting with selling shirts on Arthurs Quay and eventually making army uniforms for the British Empire. He got his revenge for his earlier sacking by buying out Arnott. When Tait became bankrupt years later we were just left with Cannocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

It was once a fine clock on a beautiful building renovated by Peter Tait

Now I never knew that ..... :rolleyes:

more info on Peter Tait .....

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/show_narrative_page.do?page_id=3399

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Spengman

bazz26 wrote:

Well actually it was Cannocks themselves who destroyed their own premises, demolishing their famous facade(and clock) in the mid 1960s,it was replaced with something similar to what still fronts Brown Thomas,:mad: that horrific curtain wall which was obviously all the rage back in the 60s! Penneys only took over the shop in 1980, not sure when it was re-clad in red brick though!..

Advertisement