Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

As if eye level traffic wasn't enough to worry about...

Options
  • 05-10-2006 10:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Was stuck in traffic this morning next to that "Elysian" site (near Brownlows) staring into space, when I noticed on the other side of the road a huge chain dangling from a Crane - I mean just hanging inches above the road - there was no oncoming traffic at that side - (lights must have been red from Anglesea Street) then the cars started coming but the chain was still dangling, I could see as the drivers were turning onto that stretch of road, they slowed down -and the chain started to lift - slowly - I may add, I thought if a van/truck/bus comes along - it's going to go right through their windscreen - and then a van and bus did come along and the chain started to rise higher. But I put my window down and had my arm out waving - just in case Van Driver didn't see it. I can't understand WHY the hell that thing was dangling above a public road.

How long are we going to have to endure that - as if traffic wasn't bad enough every day, watching cars, pedestrians at eye level - now we have to hang out the window to ensure there's nothing dangerous hanging above our cars. Just getting to work is like going through a mental and physical obstacle course every day!!!

Wondering did anyone else see/experience this today? J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

I'm sure it's a once off. I take the same route to work every morning, and it's not something I 'endure'. Stress issues behind the wheel? I can never understand why people get stressed in traffic. It's something that happens, and you can do nothing about it, so sit back and relax!

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Judes

Ned - how can one sit back and relax when a huge and extremely dangerous chain is dangling on the road. I'm sure if you were driving towards it - you wouldn't have been so relaxed. Also, that route in the morning - does become quite dangerous - as cars continue to sit in the yellow box - or as they turn go all over the place, pushing onto lanes where they shouldn't be - because they can't take corners correctly. I'd be a very relaxed driver - if the roads weren't full of incompetent drivers who ignore the rules of the road!!!

You mention this being a one-off situation - let's hope you're right. When the Clarion was being built there were cranes over the road then - also, the apartment block that went up near the Motor Arms pub - the cranes were always dangling building equipment above drivers heads.

You've got to be alert!!! J

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Be alert! Your country needs lerts!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

*rubs eyes in disbelief*

so... the stories were true!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

Judes wrote:
    How long are we going to have to endure that J

How long has this been going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Crane operators work in conjunction with a banksman. As the operator frequently cannot see where the chain is positioned, it is the banksman job to guide him and to ensure safety at all times. They use recognised hand signals or radio communication. Many crane operators will only work with 'their own ' banksman. In this case, someone clearly had their eye off the ball. If it was a fairly big site, they would probably have a H & S representative. You could report the matter to him/her. As has been said, it was probably a 'once off'.

Advertisement