Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

1500-2000 to spend on a HD TV

• 05-10-2006 10:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

I want to know what will i get for my money?
    I am useless to know the difference between plasma and LCD etc
    Any info appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 303 ✭✭brian_rbk

what size are you looking for ? ... sony s series are good value ... around 1350 for 32" and 1999 for 40". even better is the v series 1800 for 32" and 2600 for 40". I recently bought a 40" v series after alot of looking around and im very happy with it.
    sony no longer make plasmas. they seem to be concentrating on lcd technology

• Closed Accounts Posts: 120 ✭✭johnjay

this looks like good value, what do we think?

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=323829 for the U series or
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319927 for the S

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

lcd are becoming the better choice
    unless you have sky hd dont forget you might have to fork out another €500 on a box

1huge1 wrote:
    lcd are becoming the better choice
    unless you have sky hd dont forget you might have to fork out another €500 on a box

Even if it is "HD Ready"?

lcd are better tv's ... u wont get a plasma smaller than 42" anyway...
    those prices dont seem great... u should get them cheaper in any big retailer. theres a free sony dvd recorder with the 32 s series in most big retailers

• Advertisement

brian_rbk wrote:
    those prices dont seem great... u should get them cheaper in any big retailer. theres a free sony dvd recorder with the 32 s series in most big retailers

They are about 1400 in DID, but yeah, you do get the recorder.

in pc theyre 1349 with dvd rec

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

brian_rbk wrote:
    lcd are better tv's ... u wont get a plasma smaller than 42

Yes, you will. Most plasmas also come in 37", such as the Panasonic 37THPV60 or 600.

My advice is if you're planning to do a lot of gaming, e.g. with XBox360 go for the LCD, if on the other hand, movies are going to be viewed, then the Plasma is a better buy.

Have a look at both of them in action, and make up your own mind is the best advice I can offer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I'd recommend the Sony 50" Rear Pro doing the rounds at the minute, lots of happy buyers with good feedback on this board across teh last few months, do a search for "sony 50" and you should find sommit, could be some posts in Bargain Alerts also

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

brian_rbk wrote:

komplett are a good bit lower than any of the big retailers...if you see them cheaper in a retail shop i'd be very surprised...

• Advertisement

look at the samsungs..better bang for the buck than the sony's. you pay too much for the sony name...i'd go samsung over sony every time

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

just my opinion but Panasonic plasmas look far better to my eyes at the moment than any LCD with standard definition TV.
    If it was me I would by the "one older that the latest" as the best bang for buck.

flatface wrote:
    just my opinion but Panasonic plasmas look far better to my eyes at the moment than any LCD with standard definition TV.
    If it was me I would by the "one older that the latest" as the best bang for buck.

ture...panasonics might run him a bit more than the other prices in this thread though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Alliance Electric on Georges Street, Dublin are doing the Panny 42" PV60 for €1995 right now. A lovely screen, you might get it cheaper (in fact you will) online, if you're feeling brave.

thats a nice price for a panny plasma

looks cheap alright. This one is 2500 in Komplett

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324373

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 895 ✭✭✭brav

mossym wrote:
    komplett are a good bit lower than any of the big retailers...if you see them cheaper in a retail shop i'd be very surprised...

I was shopping for a 46" and loved the samsung model.
    http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=325562

However found it for the same price at soundstore in blackpool, Cork!
    Was really supprissed to find a good price for the tv in the store.

nice tv...if i wasn't putting a projector in my new build i'd be looking at putting something like one of those in..i really like the samsung tvs

Samsung's look good value everywhere, are the good??

There are huge savings to be had for shopping around. Look at this http://www.didstore.com/store_detail.asp?modelcode=LE32R72B&subid=195

versus this

http://komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=319638

200 quid saving for the same product. (though there would be a deilvery charge from Komplett)

samsung are some of the best value going in my opinion...excellent quality for a good price. sony are overpriced. Panasonic are excellent..but you pay for that.philips, not impressed. ever seem as good a picture. same for the others..

• Advertisement

Advertisement