Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Over-Singing

Options
  • 05-10-2006 11:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭

I'm officially sick of female singers lyrically masturbating. Beyonce, Sugababes, Christina, Mary J., and the rest ... you know what I mean? There's no buildup in the music, it's just constant "Whoaaahahahah, ooooohaaa, yeeeaaah" all over the repetitive melody. Less is more ladies, it's okay to wax lyrical every now and again to give a song some dynamic presence, but if you do it all the time - ITS LIKE TYPING WITH CAPS ON!!!11!!eleventy!1omgwtfbbq ;)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭DerekD Goldfish

Its not just female signers a lot of male signers do it as well I cant stand it.
    That probably why I generaly prefer Vocalists to Signers.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

ned78 wrote:
    "Whoaaahahahah, ooooohaaa, yeeeaaah"

You can impress people by referring to it as "melisma"!

But really, i agree. Just because you can sing like that, doesn't mean you should. And all those extra notes when they should be just be singing the "right" notes...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I completely agree.

Some people consider it "talent" if you can "whooahhahh" all over the place. All those curly-cues don't do anything to enhance the vocal performance. Gosh it's more irritating than anything else.

Sometimes, simplicity is a lot nicer.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Yeah it reminds me of Lead Guitar players in Rock and Metal bands that do a guitar solo at every available opportunity, christ get over yourselves!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

boooooo

a great guitar solo is always great to listen to

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,838 ✭✭✭Doomspell

eddyc wrote:
    Yeah it reminds me of Lead Guitar players in Rock and Metal bands that do a guitar solo at every available opportunity, christ get over yourselves!!!

Only difference being is that guitar solos are/can be amazing! Mariah Carey or anyone of that sort going on for about 5 minutes with her ooooohs and yeeahs not so amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Mossy Monk wrote:
    boooooo

a great guitar solo is always great to listen to

that's true, but i think the OP's point is when they just kinda over-do it and it takes away from their talent...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭pbsuxok1znja4r

It's why I hate most R'n'B music. It robs a song of all drive and...dynamics, I suppose. Articulation. More awful still is the influence it seems to have had on all the young pop-idol etc hopefuls; warbling away under the impression that this makes them sound 'impressive' or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

No matter what we think it still sells and our souls rot on the ego of a non-thinking smattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

merge this with the mariah thread :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Package

i agree,, most of the time now if a song starts with whoahw yaeaeahhhhhhh ,, CLICK,,, off to the bin with ya

ive had enough of thesse idiots who think music is about how many notes you can sing without taking a breath...

over singing is a big problem in music,, the most recent example of this is the "tragedy" of a song,, one by U2 feat mary j bligh. talk about over singing,,, cop fookin on would ya. the song is meant to be beautiful and full of emotional pain,, not painful to listen to.

Advertisement