Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Can you help me?

• 05-10-2006 11:26am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Ok will try to keep this short. I'm currently in my final year in college. Great, well not really. I just can't motivate myself anymore. I hate getting up for it. Part of the reason is the journey time, but more importantly is a complete lack of interest. I'm pretty good at it though, comfortably top 10 every year. Also, I think that I'll regreat it if I were to leave, so I don't want to do that. I'm so close to finishing it. On top of that, I'm in a relationship where I have no feeling for the girl. I need to break up with her, but I don't know how because she's really keen and anything I could say will only hurt her, which I obviously don't want to do. I have a great bunch of friends, they're top people, but I just feel like I've drifted from them almost completely, esp my best friend who I hardly even talk to anymore. I just can't get a proper night's sleep anymore. I think it the above that's messing that up for me. I just can't get to sleep for hours and when I do it's restless and I wake up tired. I'm haunted by the dead friends and familly in my thought. I've been feeling like this for the best part of two months now, and it just doesn't seem to changing. Any advice would be greatfully recieved.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Sounds like textbook symptoms of depression to me: lack of motivation, sleeplessness, thinking/brooding on ppl that have passed on etc. I would advise you go tell your GP all this and hopefully you can get it sorted soon enough before you jeopardise your final year. Also, you need to break up with your girlfriend if you think your lack of feeling preceded this. If you cared about her before maybe hang onto her?
    Good luck!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I would tend to agree with the previous posters observation.

While the classic signs of depression are present in what you describe, it is vital that you attend a medical professional.

Drifting from friends is a natural occurance, especially when you and they are doing different things. I can say the same of my friends. College, career and life in general can get in the way. That doesnt mean that they mean less to you, or indeed you to them. Its just a fact of life.

See a doctor, get a diagnosis. Many people suffer from undiagnosed depression which can become very serious.

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭il gatto

Hang on to your girl. She might be the very thing to help you through. If she loves you and sticks around when you're in bad form, how can you not love her?:) You mightn't realise it the moment. And alot of people have doubts from time to time, so don't end it because you might find that your lack of feelings stem from being depressed with other aspects of your life.
    Finish your degree and go and find a low stress job with no responsibility for a while. Relax and spend some time with your gf and have fun. Life's what you make of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭NeiloMac

Maybe try get away for a week or a weekend with your friends or your girlfriend, if you can, talk to her about how thing are getting you down, you are only at the start of the collage year, relax, breath, we all feel smothered by life sometimes,

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

If you have no feeling for your GF, its time to move on. It is still your last year of college. Enter it as a single man and see if you can't discover something new about yourself. You are currently at the stage where you are beginning to see what you dont want out of life. ie not happy with the girl, the course, the friends. This is a stage lots of people go through, but its time now to focus on where to go next. College is ending soon, so just hang on for your degree and try and figure out where to go on the back of that. I would ditch the girlfriend alright, because you aren't gonna suddenly fall back in love with her and when u are in college it could be good to be single for a while.
    In other words, you arent experiencing a depression, its disillusionment with your current life, and that should be redirected towards planning the next, post uni stage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭vorbis

Christ man, you sound a good deal like me. I get that way from time to time. I did an IT degree in college, didn't hate it but like yourself just developed a complete lack of interest after a while. If I wasn't naturally good at it, I would have failed no question. The restlessness at night is familiar as well. For years, I wouldn't go to bed early purely because i'd be tossing and turning thinking about death related things.

Advice wise I'd recommend speaking to your GP as I plan to do. You haven't mentioned any underlying issue in your post but there's usually something. As well as that some people are just more prone to depression. Ironically of all the problems listed in your post, sleep is probably the major one to correct. I find doing some excersise during the day helps me get to sleep earlier. Better sleeping habits on their own elevated my entire mood.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭alias06

The student health services are usually very good. The best advice I can offer to you is to go and see the student counsellor. He will talk to you about your problems and if needs be refer you on to a psychologist for longer term counselling. GP's are not experts in the area of mental health, certainly not to the same extent that psychologists are, therefore I would think the student counsellor is the best option.

Advertisement