Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Please help me if you can!!

• 05-10-2006 11:54am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi everyone! Im looking for help! Ive been tryin to learn as much as i cant about laptops since i decided i was gona get one but i still I dont really know to much about laptops and it is my first time to buy one so i hope to make the right purchase but i cant coz im clueless when it comes to laptops ! unless i get you help :D .
    Im buying this laptop mainly for football manager games, burning cd/dvds & downloading from the internet then maybe the odd bit of work in Microsoft word. I have around 1000-13000 to spend on this laptop
    I have two laptops in mind at the moment......

First one: Price: 1200
    Ive created a laptop from the dell website but i couldnt understand everything but i tryed my best if you think i left out anything or that i should change anything please let me know.

PROCESSOR Intel® Core™ Duo Processor T2050 (1.60 GHz, 2 MB L2 cache, 533 MHz FSB)
    OPERATING SYSTEM Genuine Windows® XP Media Center Edition 2005 (incl Symantec PC Restore Recovery)
    SUPPORT SERVICES Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    LCD 15.4" Wide Screen WXGA (1280 x 800) Display
    MEMORY 1024MB 533MHz Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM (2x512)
    HARD DRIVE 80GB (5,400rpm) Hard Drive
    OPTICAL DRIVE(S) Fixed Internal 8X DVD+/-RW with Software
    GRAPHICS CARD 128MB ATI® Mobility™ Radeon® X1300 HyperMemory™ graphics card
    PRIMARY BATTERY 9 Cell, 80Whr Lithium Ion Primary Battery
    CARRY CASES No Carry Case

WIRELESS CONNECTIVITY Intel® Pro Wireless 3945 802.11a/b/g Mini PCI Wireless LAN Card for Duo Processors
    BLUETOOTH Dell™ Wireless 350 Bluetooth 2.0 Module (up to 3Mbps) with Enhanced Data Rate
    SOUND CARDS Integrated Sound Blaster® Audigy® ADVANCED HD™ Audio- Trial Version
    FLOPPY/MEDIA DRIVES Optional USB 3.5" 1.44MB floppy drive
    COLOR CHOICE No Snap on LCD Back Cover

SECURITY SOFTWARE McAfee® Security Centre™ 15-month subscription
    MICROSOFT SOFTWARE Microsoft® Works 8.5 - English
    NETWORK ASSISTANT Network Assist - 90 Day Trial
    PHOTOGRAPHY SOFTWARE Combo: Paint Shop® Pro and Photo Album® Trial
    SYSTEM MEDIA No Resource CD

Also included with your system

KEYBOARD Internal Keyboard - UK/Ire (QWERTY)
    Gedis Bundle Reference List N10645C - DHS 6400
    Order Information Inspiron Order - Ireland
    Shipping Documents System Documentation
    Adobe Reader English - Adobe Reader 8.5.8
    Power Supply 65W AC Adapter
    Modem 56.6k V.92 Capable Internal Modem & Adapter
    SecureData Software Ghost 10 - 90 Day Trial
    Dell Media Experience No Dell™ Media Experience
    Standard Warranty Collect & Return, 1 Year Service only
    Dell Internet Order Dell Internet Order.

Second laptop: Price 1000 euro
    From Harvy Norman all the details i have are.....
    The make is HP.
    Processor Amd Turion 64 bit 1.8 X 2
    1 GB memory hard drive
    Dvd Rw Dual Layer Burner
    Graphics: Ant Express 265

I would be very greatful of ANY advise! Which should i go for...

THANKS A MILLION!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Would you be playing any other type of games that are graphically intensive? If its only for footie manager games, internet and the likes of word etc. I think you could get one a lot cheaper. Of the two you have posted I'd go with the Dell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 162 ✭✭Fanfan

Nope no graphics games. I want to get a powerfull laptop tho that would be worth getting and i could use for a few years. What makes you go for the Dell when the HP is cheaper has bigger hard drive....would it be the prosessor is better on the dell?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Without the full specs, it is difficult to give solid advice. However, generally speaking, buying from the likes of Harvey Normal et al does not give as good value for money as buying online.

From my own experience, I would not recommend HP. Others would, it's just my personal vendetta against the company. :) I'm not bitter.

The Dell laptop is extremely poweful for what you want to do, so it will last you a long time. But as petes said, for what you want, you could get a lower spec Dell at a lower price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭tonyboy247

I think you will learn to your financial cost here..however 13000 should get you involved, nice I.T. budget for one who knows little. Anyway I suggest a visit to the local arcade..the games machines in these places are quite good and for that money you should be able to stay quite some time. For word processing well lets face it, you canna beat the ole pen and paper, much cheaper. As yer man says in faulty towers " I no nootin"

Advertisement