Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT + wireless router connection problems

Options
  • 05-10-2006 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭

I have BT's 3mb connection and use a Netopia 3347W router for my bb connection. Over the last few weeks i've been having trouble with the connection. Playing games i'd suddenly get messages saying there was a problem with my connection and i'd disconnect. Downloading files will not complete, they'll just hang. This occurs when downloading using firefox, ie and download managers. gf uses a conferencing type app for other on line course and she frequently gets disconnects with that as well.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Does the wireless connection cause the problem or does the DSL connection go down?
    Did you try plugging directly into router via cable to check if it still happens?
    What do you have to do reestablish connection?
    Is the modem set for an "always-on" connection rather "manual"?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

kaizersoze wrote:
    Does the wireless connection cause the problem or does the DSL connection go down?
    No, looking at the router stats shows the connection remains up.
    Did you try plugging directly into router via cable to check if it still happens?
    no, will do this tonight.
    What do you have to do reestablish connection?
    well the connection doesnt really go down, i can still browse even when a download is hanging.
    Is the modem set for an "always-on" connection rather "manual"?
    I dunno where this option is on the modem but i presume "always-on"

One other thing i notice is that fairly often the "wireless connection now established" bubble over the wifi sympol on the icon tray will display. wifi connection dropping out?

Scruff wrote:
    I dunno where this option is on the modem but i presume "always-on"

One other thing i notice is that fairly often the "wireless connection now established" bubble over the wifi sympol on the icon tray will display. wifi connection dropping out?
    The default connection on the router is 'On Demand'.
    Log into the router, go into 'expert mode' and in the left menu click 'Configure' then 'Connection'. At the bottom of the main window you'll see the 'Connection type' drop down box. Select 'Always on' (not manual or on demand) and save changes. It may as you to restart the router (I forget).

Try that first and if the problem is still there use the cable to see if it's the wireless causing it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Scruff wrote:
    Your Wireless connection is dropping, either because of interference, or because there's another wifi signal in the vicinity, and WZC is periodically trying to connect to it. Theis will screw up downloads, which are continuous, but will hardly be noticable when browsing the web, because you're constantly connecting to and disconnecting from whatever web servers you're hitting anyway.

If you're using drivers that came with the wireless card, then disable the Wireless Zero Config service in the Services Control Panel. If you're relying on the Wireless client built in to Windows (WZC) then you're going to have to try playing around with settings to see if you can get WZC to stay put once it connects. There is no clear cut answer to how to do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

kaizersoze wrote:
    The default connection on the router is 'On Demand'.
    Log into the router, go into 'expert mode' and in the left menu click 'Configure' then 'Connection'. At the bottom of the main window you'll see the 'Connection type' drop down box. Select 'Always on' (not manual or on demand) and save changes.
    An "On Demand" connection won't disconnect when there's traffic on the line.

• Advertisement

hmmm you could ne onto something there Foxwood. I noticed that i can now detect at least 2 other wifi networks in my gaff.
    *shakes fist at neighbours.

Foxwood wrote:
    An "On Demand" connection won't disconnect when there's traffic on the line.
    Usually the case with most modems but when I got the Netopia first it was set to 'on demand' and I found that using explorer (or firefox) was the only thing that kept the connection alive. Most downloads (not all) would stop when the modem disconnected. Even downloads that were started in explorer and then the explorer window was closed. Changing to 'always on' cured it.

Having said that, I do think the OP's problem is the wireless. It's just something to rule out first.

cheers lads. kaizersoze's suggestion seems to have fixed it, at least with the downloads anyway, havent tried any gaming yet.

Thanks!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Scruff wrote:
    cheers lads. kaizersoze's suggestion seems to have fixed it, at least with the downloads anyway, havent tried any gaming yet.

Thanks!

If you have not done so already try downloading netstumber (www.netstumbler.com) this will show you what networds are around you and what channels they are using - change your changel away if theres any overlapping.

Cool, will try give that a whirl too.
    Cheers!

• Advertisement

its happening again. :(
    gave netstumbler and i'm using a different channel than all the other networks around.

Scruff wrote:
    its happening again. :(
    gave netstumbler and i'm using a different channel than all the other networks around.
    Did you test it using a cable connection instead of the wireless?

no didnt do that yet, cant find lan cable
    One thing i did notice though is that i hadnt the little filter box thingie connected between the router and the phone line. I put that on and the SNR on the wifi went up from 42 to 63, so that may have a big impact.

Advertisement