Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT - only got half the package!

Options
  • 05-10-2006 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭

I signed up to BT Ireland's €45/month package for broadband and telephone on Sept 11th.

I received the modem and connected to the broadband service on Sept 25th but I am still waiting for the telephone to be switched over. It's now passed the 15 working days and I'm still waiting. I've sent them an email, to which they haven't yet responded, asking for an update on the situation. On phoning them back in September they said the service would be activated around the 29th.

Anyway, my main concern is the monthly charge of €45/month. When does this kick in? When both services are up and running or would it have kicked in back when the broadband was activated?

So far no payments have come out of my bank account. Also, checking the online usage it says I haven't used any broadband since Sept 2004, when I took out a 3 month trial with IOL, even though I've been online most days since connecting :confused:.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

they always do it in sequence

BB first, then CPS then WLR

If they did the line rental ( known as WLR) portion first eircom WOULD NOT LET THEM provision BB on the line.

In their wisdom Comreg have decided that if you already pay line rental to another carrier then you may not order broadband on that line. . You can test the line and pass but not order it.

email consumerline@comreg.ie to find out why this is so, it seems most odd to me :(

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭muffinhead

I've just had a bill from Eircom for line rental, so what is the story when BT take over the line rental? Will Eircom credit me back the remainder of the two months?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Sponge Bob wrote:
    In their wisdom Comreg have decided that if you already pay line rental to another carrier then you may not order broadband on that line. . You can test the line and pass but not order it.
    Whaaaa! That's just not right. Typical of eirComReg to do something like that. I had never heard of this before, it probably doesn't come up too often as an issue since most people would be paying rental to eircom regardless of who their calls go through.

So if you are paying for line rental and calls to say, UTV, for example. Then you decide you want broadband so you must first switch back to eircom, order the broadband from UTV, then switch back to UTV for calls/rental? What a crock.

I was with eircom for rental when I ordered BT broadband, then switched the calls and line rental over when they started their bundle deals so I never noticed this being an issue. I guess I would have found out if I had already changed over to BT before the broadband.
    I've just had a bill from Eircom for line rental, so what is the story when BT take over the line rental? Will Eircom credit me back the remainder of the two months?
    I think eircom sent me a cheque for the line rental I had paid in advance when BT took over my line. Anyway, they'll have to refund you in some way (direct debit reversal or cheque) as it's your money.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ah but you HAVE BB so you may TRANSFER that BB to BT in the example you gave (its called Bitstream Port Transfer)

if you are with another carrier , today, for WLR you may not GET BB at all. BB is only ever initially provisioned if your rental is with eircom at that point in time.

again, consumerline@comreg.ie will explain the process to you in full and will explain why it should be so. They think its a jolly good wheeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

BB is only ever initially provisioned if your rental is with eircom at that point in time.

Can BB not be initially provisioned by whoever you have line rental with? I had UTV phone and ordered broadband from UTV. Now that it is installed I might move to BT at some point. Presumably the point is that Eircom is the only provider with whom you can have line rental and order a new BB service with someone else.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Keep a close eye on that - it took me nearly 4 montsh to get my line over to BT after - they did eventually refund the difference between the package and the cost of their BB and UTVs line rental. But it was slow and aggravating.

Advertisement