Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do hackney drivers have to produce plates on the car

Options
  • 05-10-2006 1:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭

Please move if im in the wrong forum. Just wondering does anyone know if a hackney driver has to show the yellow plates (ie proof that he is a hackeny) on his car. A hackney taxi i got last night did not have any plates on it. He is a local man who i know to see and he also has a mini bus with the plates on it but uses his own car any time myself or friends use him. Just courious really!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,240 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

sandyg wrote:
    Please move if im in the wrong forum. Just wondering does anyone know if a hackney driver has to show the yellow plates (ie proof that he is a hackeny) on his car. A hackney taxi i got last night did not have any plates on it. He is a local man who i know to see and he also has a mini bus with the plates on it but uses his own car any time myself or friends use him. Just courious really!!

As far as I know they do have to as this has their hackey licence number on it. It usually contains the car registration number also.

To be sure you could ring the Irish Carriage Office and they should be able to confirm either way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭sprinkles

Hacjneys must have the small yellow plate on their car when working. The plate is slightly different in differetn counties but same principal applies.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is it possible that he is a limo driver? Is his car fairly upmarket/luxurious? They are not obliged to have either sign AFAIK, although some have a small sign on the registration plate. Some are taxi drivers also with upmarket cars- they just remove the taxi sign for VIP work. You can also tell from the tax disc and the NCT cert which is required from new.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

If it's a limo he must have LM accompanied by his number on his reg plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭milltown

Only if he's from Leitrim :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 254 ✭✭sandyg

He lives in a small estate and the car he uses is a skoda octavia 01 reg. He has a red mini bus also in his drive but i havnt seen him use it for a long time. I dont think its road worthy. He only taxis in the evening.

Tipsy Mac wrote:
    If it's a limo he must have LM accompanied by his number on his reg plate.
    I've often seen the LM on older limos but if you walk through the limo car park in Dublin Airport you won't see too many with it. Have the regulations been changed or is it displayed elsewhere?

sandyg wrote:
    the car he uses is a skoda octavia 01 reg.
    Very unlikely to be a limo then! Most tend to be S Class Mercs, Chrysler 300 C or Grand Voyagers or 7 series BMWs. (And, of course, all the stretch versions).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

Everything you wanted to know about hackney cabs:
    http://tinyurl.com/nsspn
    Hackney
    Existing Regulations require that on the granting of a hackney licence, the owner of the vehicle shall, while such vehicle is being operated as a hackney, display signs on the front and rear of the vehicle. The signs shall be constructed of a durable material, be securely mounted in appropriate positions (one at the front of the vehicle and one at the rear, on surfaces that are, as near as is practicable, vertical) and be positioned where it could not obstruct the driver’s view of the road.

Limousine
    A limousine is a vehicle which is evidently suited by its style and condition for the provision of hire services for ceremonial occasions, or for corporate or other prestige purposes. It is also a vehicle which has an engine capacity of at least 1900 cubic centimetres, save in the case of a vehicle which was constructed more than thirty years prior to the date of the application for a limousine licence.

On the granting of a limousine licence, the licensing authority is obliged by Regulations to issue a sign to the owner of a limousine. It is specified that a limousine sign be in the form of an ellipse, be either white, grey or silver in colour and shall display the letters “LM”, the number of the limousine licence and the name of the licensing authority or a letter(s) identification for that name in black letters. It is also required that the limousine sign be securely affixed, at all times, to the rear of the limousine on the outside, in respect of which it was issued, in such a manner that it does not obscure the view of the driver, the vehicle licence number or the vehicle lights.

Advertisement