Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where have all the best friends gone?

• 05-10-2006 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

What about this one.

Ive had friends all my life, many groups of them, im involved in (and have been through the years) stacks of different things, scouting, bands, martial arts, soccer, army reserve, and while i have tons of mates, ive no actual best mate.

you know, someone you would see most days, text a lot, head out for a beer with, i mean my gf is my best mate, we get on so well, she plays soccer, GAA, we go on the beer together, were not all gooey and cuddles and kissing and crap in public, but were nuts about each other in our own way. so respect where its due

in case she wanders across boards some day, terms and conditions apply, non payment of respect may result in loss of relationship

What i mean is a lads lad best mate (hope im not coming across all metro sexual!), yeh know? ive 3 or 4 real good friends, we go out together, our girlfriends know each other too which helps. as we know gf's come and go and yet we stay in touch but I just realised while browsing another thread that its a hell of a long time since i considered anyone my "bestest buddy" :D

I had a life long mate, but he's off living the married life with kids (hes not married but you know what i mean!), these last few years i came to realise that he's also very annoying and if i do hang out with him, none of my other mates can tolerate his humour and personality, i guess im just very easy going and always see the real bloke behind the mask, but these last few years he failed to mature and i did and we've since moved in different directions.

my other best mates through the years moved away.

So what is the story here with most people? we move around so much and dip in and out of so many circles of friends do we ever really have a best mate, the equivelant of a soul mate in the world of friendship.

Ive one or two blokes id consider closest to the mark, but at times they dont seem as in tune with me as in the past with other mates who arent around now.

The kind of mate whereby your sitting down in a crowd of mates and just a look sets both of you off in histerics about something someone else has said and you know that all the explaining in the world wouldnt make the other guys understand what you pi$$ing yourselves about.

anyway, got it off my chest, thanks for being such a captive audience!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,711 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

maxjam wrote:
    What about this one.

Ive had friends all my life, many groups of them, im involved in (and have been through the years) stacks of different things, scouting, bands, martial arts, soccer, army reserve, and while i have tons of mates, ive no actual best mate.

you know, someone you would see most days, text a lot, head out for a beer with, i mean my gf is my best mate, we get on so well, she plays soccer, GAA, we go on the beer together, were not all gooey and cuddles and kissing and crap in public, but were nuts about each other in our own way. so respect where its due

in case she wanders across boards some day, terms and conditions apply, non payment of respect may result in loss of relationship

What i mean is a lads lad best mate (hope im not coming across all metro sexual!), yeh know? ive 3 or 4 real good friends, we go out together, our girlfriends know each other too which helps. as we know gf's come and go and yet we stay in touch but I just realised while browsing another thread that its a hell of a long time since i considered anyone my "bestest buddy" :D

I had a life long mate, but he's off living the married life with kids (hes not married but you know what i mean!), these last few years i came to realise that he's also very annoying and if i do hang out with him, none of my other mates can tolerate his humour and personality, i guess im just very easy going and always see the real bloke behind the mask, but these last few years he failed to mature and i did and we've since moved in different directions.

my other best mates through the years moved away.

So what is the story here with most people? we move around so much and dip in and out of so many circles of friends do we ever really have a best mate, the equivelant of a soul mate in the world of friendship.

Ive one or two blokes id consider closest to the mark, but at times they dont seem as in tune with me as in the past with other mates who arent around now.

The kind of mate whereby your sitting down in a crowd of mates and just a look sets both of you off in histerics about something someone else has said and you know that all the explaining in the world wouldnt make the other guys understand what you pi$$ing yourselves about.

anyway, got it off my chest, thanks for being such a captive audience!:D

Sounds like you're looking for a soulmate rather than best friend. And no, they're not always member of the opposite sex you want to share the rest of your life - there is a difference, as I presume you've noticed in having a girlfriend already.

I'm getting the impression that you're looking forr someone different, and finding only clones of people you already know (could be wrong here, sticking my neck out for sure). Go on holiday to somewhere you'd never even think of going. Take up an unusual hobby. Go down the less-travelled path as the poet once said. You'll find different people.

And take the girlfriend with you. Hell, she might even have some good suggestions of her own...!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Advertisement