Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joint Bank Accounts

Options
  • 05-10-2006 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭

What do people think about opening joint bank accounts with your partners? The reason I'm asking is because my girlfriend and I are buying a house soon, and I was thinking about setting up a joint bank account?

Is this a good idea?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Yep I would say its a good idea, it shows joint ownership of some of your assets and will show the lender than you have an active account for a down payment or for reserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Baldie wrote:
    Is this a good idea?

yes.

As a suggestion, both DD the same amount per month into the joint account.

Then use the Joint Account to pay all household bills - mortgage, phone, TV, food, new coffee table etc. You each keep your own finances in your own "normal" accounts.

Get each person a laser card - it costs 2x€20 but it is worth it.

Generally the account should run in a surplus which means you can go out for dinner out of it, or book flights from it etc. as a nice bonus.

L.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Reyman

A good idea if you're buying shares too. Double the annual CGT allowance 2x€1270 means you can get some return on your lucky punts

Advertisement