Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mystery Tour!

Options
  • 05-10-2006 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭

Howya,
    It's my first year in UCD, and i'm considering goin on "The Mystery Tour" next week. Can anybody share some thoughts on it.
    1) Is it worth the money?
    2) What has it been like other years?

and finally

3) Do they really keep the location a mystery?? :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

They have it on the same weekend as class rep training AFAIK, so thry could have chosen a better date. I never went, but from what I heard there will be drunken days and nights, with plenty of mistakes all round. You won't make any friends on it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

Last yr was its first year. Yes it will be a secret. Who can really say if its worth the money without knowing your financial circumstances and what you like?!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I went on it last year and had a savage time, I'd really reccommmend it!
    1] I thought it was worth it coz I had such a great time but some of my friends didn't so it depends on your finances at the moment. Bring cheap drink with ya and the clubs ya go to have offers on drink.
    2] I had a ball at the last one and would go again this time if I was able to
    3] I still actually don't know where we went... Meath perhaps? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

They have it on the same weekend as class rep training AFAIK, so thry could have chosen a better date. I never went, but from what I heard there will be drunken days and nights, with plenty of mistakes all round. You won't make any friends on it though.

what are u on about? its on a thursday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭Chakar

Yeah its on Thursday last so you would be back on Friday night very late.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭random_banter

Yeah its on Thursday last so you would be back on Friday night very late.

You mean the Mystery Tour? The buses will leave between 12PM and 1PM on Thursday and arrive back anytime between 2AM and 4AM Thurs night/Friday morning. So the event will be around 15 hours (of crazy dancing, boozing, and much bus banter). Needless to say you will be fairly exhausted the next day but its well worth it, imo. And yes, you do make friends on the mystery tour. The stories that come back from the Mystery Tour are pretty much legendary! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭singingstranger

You went to Meath, Scraggs. On both tours. One went to Buck Mulligan's in Athboy and another to Rapture in Johnstownbridge just outside Enfield. Honestly, some people...

Meath ftw, btw. :)

You went to Meath, Scraggs.

Cheers;)

I remember now I never actually made it home to change or shower and had to give a presentation at 9am the next morning still drunk and as Gaeilge.
    I got an 'A';)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

The first one last year was a lot better than the first. I'd be very put off by the suprise "international act" in the last venue. I'd be well pissed off to spend €30 and end up being stuck listening to The Republic of Loose or something similar for the 100th time in the last 12 months.

Betcha' it'll end up in Carlow... 'international' act Goldie Lookin' Chain are playing:p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

I'd rather go on that surfing trip to Lahinch - I'd say that would be a good laugh.
    Anyone going to Cork with JazzSoc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Who busted the window on one of the buses last year?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

jimi_t wrote:
    I'd rather go on that surfing trip to Lahinch

That sounds like a great laugh. Anymore details?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

Grimes wrote:
    That sounds like a great laugh. Anymore details?

It's with the SurfClub - e90 for the trip, has to be in by this Thursday and it's on from Friday till Sunday. The 90 quid covers transport, accomodation, gear, lessons, food and booze in the evenings. If I can scrape the money together I'll probably go - I'd say it would be great craic and it's pretty good value, you'd easily spend e100 on the Mystery Tour.

Anyone got a ticket for sale, obviously at face value, looking for around 4.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,416 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

i cant wait for this now, if it's anything like last year it's gonna be amazing! is it sold out Simona?

It sold out at some stage this afternoon as far as I can gather.
    It's Simon btw ;)

The Mystery Tour has been cancelled you can get your refunds all day today and tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭XchampagneX

Chakar wrote:
    The Mystery Tour has been cancelled you can get your refunds all day today and tomorrow.
    are you serious?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Chakar wrote:

Who told you that? Or where did you see it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Chakar wrote:
    A bit more information would be welome.

Chakar wrote:
    Jaysus way to leave us in suspense! Where'd you get this info?
    Can anybody confirm if this is true or not? There'll be some very disappointed people if it is!

Pythia wrote:
    Who told you that? Or where did you see it?

Got a text message from Q soc saying that

"Qsoc regret to inform you that due to issues beyond our control the Mystery Tour has been cancelled.Refunds available next Wed all day, Room 5 Stud Centre"

Same message from BL society.

Chakar wrote:
    Got a text message from Q soc saying that

"Qsoc regret to inform you that due to issues beyond our control the Mystery Tour has been cancelled.Refunds available next Wed all day, Room 5 Stud Centre"

Same message from BL society.
    i never got any text message!!!

i never got any text message!!!

Then I guess you're not a member of Qsoc or BL.

Chakar wrote:
    Then I guess you're not a member of Qsoc or BL.
    i'm a member of both actually!! Maybe it's my phone..

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,727 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm on the B&L committee and it seems to be true. Apparently Richard Butler said that the societies weren't fulfilling their duty of care to the students.

That's a legal standard he's using there, so I'd imagine he was given some advice on it. From a legal point of view, I can see where he's coming from because if anything were to happen to someone, it would mean big trouble for the societies.

Even with ambulances and all of the safety precautions, the societies could still be liable. Butler would end up footing the legal bill in such a case (not personally, but as societies officer).

That said, I think that there should be a trade-off between legal risk and allowing societies to entertain students. I think the Mystery Tour is a great event, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone who hasn't gone already.

i'm a member of both actually!! Maybe it's my phone..

Maybe you'll get it soon enough.

For people who already bought the tickets you can get refunds on the tickets in the Student Centre next Wednesday in the Student Centre in Meeting Room 5.

Looks like i'll be going to my lectures tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Actually I think refunds are next week

Advertisement