Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Fixing rust, scratches, etc.

Options
  • 05-10-2006 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

Just got my first car on Monday, so I'm a "n00b" to all this :D

Anyway, what I'm most concerned about is that there's some very small spots of rust around the body - I assume from loose chippings scratching off the paint or something. There's also a scratch or two around one of the rear passenger doors that's rusted a bit. What should I do about these to prevent it getting any worse?

And any recommendations for minor scratches?

Also, there appears to be some sort of hand prints that don't want to come off around the back of the cars (by the two rear doors) - I washed the car and they still remain :mad:

It's a metallic silver '98 Fiesta. I can take pictures if it decides to stop raining!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

I find a Dremel to be great for grinding out rust patches.

Halfords do touch-up paint kits for those small scratches and chips.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

They're very small spots of rust though - I certainly wouldn't consider them "patches". Surely a Dremel would be overkill for these?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

You ever seen the little pointed grinding heads you get for a Dremel?

We're not talking about an angle grinder here. It's not overkill at all.

And small spots turn into patches, specially on Fiestas and Kas of that era. Nip it in the bud. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Haven't actually used a Dremel, and after I posted I did consider the possibility of suitably small heads existing. Might invest in one then, though my experience in using them and painting metal with something that isn't Hammerite is non-existant :(

What about those gammy fingerprints that won't go away? I'll see if waxing at least makes them less visible.

Advertisement