Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rent increase - urgent!!

Options
  • 05-10-2006 4:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi, need advice urgently..

landlord put up the rent by 200 euro.
    we were advised this about 12 days ago.
    all fine and dandy, agreed with other tenants and off we go.
    its now time for the rent and weve paid the lower rent thinking we would have some sort of notice period.
    ie 1 month to sort ourselve out, some of us get paid mid month etc so will have to make adjustments for next SO
    however ive just got a text from the landlord that the he was expecting the higher amount.

who is in the right here?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

pfew, found the info
    "Your landlord has the right to review the rent annually. However your landlord must give you at least 28 days notice (in writing) before increasing the rent"

http://oasis.gov.ie/housing/renting_a_flat_or_house/rent_increases.html

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

12 days notice is not enough. It has to be 28days and in writing and can only be done every 12 months and the rent has to be in line with market rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭whizzbang

They are probably feeling the pinch on the mortgage, still they can only charge the market rate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

was the lease up for renewal and if it's not then what was the figure on the lease and for how long?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Budd

As the others said he hasn't given enough notice so you don't have to pay his increase. Enjoy telling him that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I was in kind of a similar situation a few years back. Our lease was due to expire in August. Around the start of August, the landlord called me, said he was busy "Would you be willing to extend the lease?" sure. "There will an increase in the rent" should be ok - let me know the details. Didn't hear anything from him till February (despite me ringing him two or three times, telling him I wanted to get the lease signed). Eventually, in Feb, the rent was increased by €100 a month or something, and the lease was signed. The new (higher) rent went through in March, and he rang saying we were short - he was expecting us to pay a lump sum to reflect the higher rent backdated to august - I told him no chance and it was fine after that. Some guys are chancers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

the landlord can only raise your rent once per year and it has to be in line with market rents (as well as the correct notice being given).

So you can appeal the increase to the PRTB (as I understand it).

Advertisement