Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCD Life/Accomodation Advice

• 05-10-2006 4:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Hey, I'm from Wicklow Town and wondering 1) what are my chances of getting accomodation on campus? I'm really basing my college choice on the accomodation, because it's the most important to me.. I'd rather live in galway that commute like!

and 2) What's it like to live on campus? I'v heard UCD is awful compared to other colleges.. But I only know people who've commuted! None who've applied for campus! I was thinking it wouldn't be so bad if I was living there though... doing societies and SU and all that! But I really dont know! Plus it's near to town so thats convienient for a million and one reasons, not least getting a job! Seeing how I'm going to have to work all through college!

And a few questions/concerns about the accomodation (bearing in mind i'l probably go for the budget roebuck castle if i can)
    • Internet access? Will I have it in my room? Anywhere in the building?
    • Are there strict rules about living there, or is it just like living anywhere else?
    • Is sharing a bathroom a bit of a pain in the ass? Like does it get out of hand?
    • Are the cooking facilities ok? Bearing in mind I intend to live off my own cooking 24/7

Hmm thats all I can think of for now! This stuff is so stressful :( ...And I hate how you cant apply for accomodation untill you've accepted the course! Considering I'm basing my college choice on where I'm going to be living...AHH!

Thanks UCDians! Don't mean to insult your college :D .. just i've heard bad things and i'd like to hear feedback on what you guys think about it! I don't want to spend 3 or 4 years hating it!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

its based on distance from college so i doubtull get campus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I'm from Brittas and I can't get on-campus, you probably won't either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Wicklow Town? Unless you get a scholarship, I'd say you have about a snowballs chance in hell of getting on-campus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

UCD is not in or near town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 _Ganondorf_

Well it's pretty fecking close. It's in Donnybrook basically like, that's not far.

Thanks for the vote of confidence on accomodation lads,depressed now :( ... I know someone in Ashford who got it though! That's much closer than Brittas

• Advertisement

If they're closer than about 3 hours drive from UCD and they got it then either A) it was a few years ago when they used the lottery system or B) they got an entrance scholarship. Simple as.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

Ah here it's not that bad. I know one lad from Naas who is living on campus this year. And no, no scholarship or anything.

Btw Naas is 24 miles away from UCD, Wicklow about 27 miles. (courtesy of google earth)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

well Ganondorf it's quite simple. If you don't get campus, your first priority is to make friends with someone who did :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

I know two people who have Dublin suburbs addresses and got into Glenomena as undegrads so you might be lucky.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I'm from Greystones, and I got Glenomena. It's not that difficult to get because it's very pricey. I think the Roebuck Hall residences freed up a good bit of space this year as well.

• Advertisement

Byrno wrote:
    Ah here it's not that bad. I know one lad from Naas who is living on campus this year. And no, no scholarship or anything.

Btw Naas is 24 miles away from UCD, Wicklow about 27 miles. (courtesy of google earth)
    I've been on a cancelation list since college started to try and get somewhere to live. It is that bad, in my experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Byrno

I know it's bad but it isn't as bad as you were saying. Firstly where are you from? And when did you apply for campus? Also what year are you in? All those affect whether or not you get campus. It isn't just distance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭gubbie

Byrno wrote:

Something completely pointless-they measure the distances from town to town by the distances from the main, local post office. So the Wicklow 27 miles above is the distance from the main post office in Wicklow town to the GPO in Dublin

YEA RANDOMNESS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 steffy182

can you apply for campus accomodation for just after christmas?? i only need accomodation from jan-may so wondering do they have a list we can sign up on now and then get it early?? thanks, i have no idea how the campus thingy works!

Byrno wrote:
    I know it's bad but it isn't as bad as you were saying. Firstly where are you from? And when did you apply for campus? Also what year are you in? All those affect whether or not you get campus. It isn't just distance.
    1st year, New Ross so 3 hours on public transport, and I applied as soon as I got my CAO offer. The situation this guy will be in come september, if he decides on UCD

Ok,hmm not sounding good then is it! I'd probably be applying for Roebuck Castle, if that makes a difference? (lack of funds haha). Failing on-campus accomodation, what are the prospects like for a flatshare or bedsit or something nearby for a decent price? (say 100 a week or something). Dig's aren't my thing I'm afraid. If I can't get on campus or living some where decent nearby, I'l prob ship off somewhere else! Commuting would wreck my head... UCD sounds like a great place to live, but anyone I know who commutes finds it very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

I'm living in small two storey a flat in a small estate less than five minutes walk from the clonskeagh entrace, paying €101.25 a week and sharing with 2 others, so it is possible. There's lots of competition but plan ahead and visit as many places as you can, and you will see lots of opportunities. It's true that there's many students vying for places in clonskeagh, stillorgan etc, but there's also lots of places for rent for that very reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I know a guy who got a place in Sandymount for less than €300 a month. It may not be on the most frequent of bus routes, but it's not a million miles away either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Lived in The Maples in Clonskeagh for a year for €85 per week - really nice estate and really close to UCD. Definitely you can get a place nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭catching_streams

Theres still accomodation available in Proby. The cooking facilities there are appaulling, your €120+/- a week will get you a microwave and hob but no oven and no grill. Everything else is great.

• Advertisement

nando wrote:
    Lived in The Maples in Clonskeagh for a year for €85 per week - really nice estate and really close to UCD. Definitely you can get a place nearby.

Yeah, I did a bit of research and The Maples seemed like a good idea, it's cheap and very nearby. So definatley be looking into that come next year..

To whoever said there were places in Proby: As far as I can see, that's not open to most undergrads? Plus its prohibitively expensive compared to Roebuck.. I doubt I'l be able to afford much more than €100 a week like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭tywy

Just gonna revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Thinking of moving out for final year next year, what are the chances of getting Glenomena if you live in Dublin? Slim to none? Or are you more likely to get it cuz it's expensive? Does anyone know, is it full at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

I'd say there is a chance of getting it... it all depends on the demand for next year though! I would apply anyway if I were you. I know two Dubs [Dublin county] living there and theres a few people from Wicklow which is only up the road:p I live in Roebuck but someone else that actually lives in Glen might be able to answer you better.

I'm in Dublin 6W :P

I just wanna get out of home. Thought campus would be fun as a few friends will be applying there next year too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Even though I live about 15 miles away from campus I'm gonna apply for next year since i'll be in final year. Commuting on buses and DORSHes is a such a killer

it's the parents for me, I'm too old to be living at home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

i'm going into final year arts, also live in wicklow.
    any chance if i apply to glenomena? i really want to stay there i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 625 ✭✭✭princess-sprkle

nevermind, just read scraggs response! ta :]
    anyone here live in glenomena? whats it like really?

Advertisement