Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Clutch sticking on and off- advice please!

Options
  • 05-10-2006 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭

First of all, it's a 96 Fiesta, nothing hi-tech but I love it! ;)

My clutch used to stick a small bit first thing in the morning but was then fine all day. But today I was driving around Drogheda in terrible traffic and the bloody thing started sticking again. At one point it wouldn't spring back with my foot, IYKWIM, but after about a second or two jumped back out with force! But after parking up for a few hours it seemed o.k again... :confused:

Anyway, am I in imminent danger of my cable snapping or my spring going?

Should I bring it in somewhere straight away?

And finally, any idea what I should expect to pay?

Thanks in advance. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

this happened to me a lot

i drive a 99 ibiza, so i got a new clutch cable and left it in
    they changed it for me, but told me it wasnt actually the cable, it was something holding it.

cable was only €50

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Is your Fiesta the 89-96 model or the newer shape, the old model used to give a lot of clutch pedal problems. i don't know if ford sorted it out on the newer model. The part was called the ratchet and pawl and was part of the clutch pedal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

Blue850 wrote:
    Is your Fiesta the 89-96 model or the newer shape, the old model used to give a lot of clutch pedal problems. i don't know if ford sorted it out on the newer model. The part was called the ratchet and pawl and was part of the clutch pedal.

Yes! It's the old one, Fieasta Classic! I think mine was one of the last they ever made. Have to say I prefer it to the new "rounded" ones!

Anyway, thanks for the replies, and if it's the rachet and pawl is that a big job??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

We had that roundy model (96-> ) and had a similar problem - but it was hydraulic clutch, so I changed the hydraulic fluid. Worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

sudzs wrote:
    First of all, it's a 96 Fiesta, nothing hi-tech but I love it! ;)

My clutch used to stick a small bit first thing in the morning but was then fine all day. ..... At one point it wouldn't spring back with my foot, IYKWIM, but after about a second or two jumped back out with force! ....... :confused:

Anyway, am I in imminent danger of my cable snapping or my spring going?

Thanks in advance. :)

assuming it is a cable operated clutch, it coudl several things.

Pedal itself sticking,
    Cable sticking in the sheath,
    Clutch lever/bearing sticking in the box.

It is dangerous in that if you let you foot off it and there is something or someone in front of you, you could run into it or over them. So never tak your foot completely off the pedal, help it up with your hand or a string if you must.

Anyway, that aside. If you have the time, the next time it occurs, leave the clutch stuck in position, stop and at teh bell houseing lever end, determine if the bit of cable attached to the lever is taunt & loaded or slack and free, though the lever is still stuck. Be careful as it could snap back and hurt your fingers at any instant.
    If the cable end is loose, then the problem is with the lever and release bearing mechanism inside the bell housing.
    If the cable is taunt, then the problem is with the cable or pedal.
    If the latter, then unload the cable and see if it can be slid in its jacket. While you are at examine the end for rust, fraying, dried grease, etc. You culd lubricate it with a drop of oil off the dipstick and see if it makes any difference.
    The you have to examine the other end, ie the pedal end.... can't help you there as I have no idea what it looks like in a Fiesta. But you coudl start by oiling the protruding end of the cable and the shaft hinge points.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

I can't tell you anymore about the part,but I worked in a ford dealership in the mid 90s and we were plagued with warranty claims on fiesta clutch pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ah Ford, sure they are only crap. Why would anyone want to buy one of those. Its your own fault for wasting your money on such a lump of dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

prospect wrote:
    Ah Ford, sure they are only crap. Why would anyone want to buy one of those. Its your own fault for wasting your money on such a lump of dirt.

great contribution there :rolleyes:

Take it to a garage or two and see what they have to say would be the best bet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

dub_dan wrote:
    great contribution there :rolleyes:

I am in the middle of a little protest here.
    See the Alfa 146 thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,721 ✭✭✭sudzs

prospect wrote:

Cheek of ya! :p

I love my Fiesta! Apart from my clutch problem it has never given me a bit of trouble. :)

And thanks for all the replies... will check out a few garages today.

• Advertisement
Advertisement