Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon Tunnel "is" Started!

Options
  • 05-10-2006 6:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭

The Work on the Shannon Tunnel has begun, some people were having doubts about it but it says on The Post that construction has begun. I always thought that the area on the roundabout close to the old Roxboro Swimming Pool.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭hobie

Whats the roundabout called just down from Elm Motors on the way into the new bridge? ... :confused:

well anyway, every $$$$$ time I go that way I need to hose my $$$$$ car down for 1/2 an hour to get rid of all the mud from the road ... :(

but I don't mind .... :rolleyes:

it's only going to be like that for 5 years .... :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

did anyone read the limeirck independent (i think it was that one) and on the front page it had a farmer trying to tell us how a bridge would of been such a better idea
    money and timewise
    but a tunnel is so much cooler haha

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Nope, that was the Leader, some farmer designed a little model bridge, nice looking bridge too. One weird feature though was a....wait for it....wait for it...a tree, in the middle of a bridge! What the f**k is that about? A Tree? lol

In my opinion a tunnel is the better option, I think the Bridge will date and become another traffic blackspot.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

hobie wrote:
    Whats the roundabout called just down from Elm Motors on the way into the new bridge? ... :confused:

well anyway, every $$$$$ time I go that way I need to hose my $$$$$ car down for 1/2 an hour to get rid of all the mud from the road ... :(

but I don't mind .... :rolleyes:

it's only going to be like that for 5 years .... :confused:

Clonmacken roundabout I think.

that and tunnels are cooler

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 Evo9

NRA= Overbridge: St Nessans Rd (R526)

Does this mean thad the current road is going to be a flyover like the one on Roxbrough Rd just past Southill, our is it like thad little tunnel on the old Ballysimon rd where the carriageway runs over the road:confused:

Linkhttp://nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/SchemeInformationBrochuresforTenderers/file,1196,en.PDF#search=%22shannon%20tunnel%22

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

is it going to be Tolled?:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

They have already started the work on the approach road at the Irish Cement Factory roundabout on the Dock road.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

galwayrush wrote:

Yes, nice little money earner for the Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Evo9 wrote:
    Does this mean thad the current road is going to be a flyover like the one on Roxbrough Rd just past Southill, our is it like thad little tunnel on the old Ballysimon rd where the carriageway runs over the road:confused:

Linkhttp://nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/SchemeInformationBrochuresforTenderers/file,1196,en.PDF#search=%22shannon%20tunnel%22

Yah - I was wondering too - seems strange to have that volume of traffic passing over St. Nessans raod as it heads for town ? Anyone know for sure ?

• Advertisement

bazz26 wrote:
    Yes, nice little money earner for the Government.
    amazing, never been as much money in the country and we can't afford to build a few roads and tunnels without a toll. 2 cents onto a litre of fuel would bring in way more than all the proposed tolls in the country put together.not forgetting how many 2 cent increases the goverment has squezzed out of us over the past few years.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

galwayrush wrote:

I have no problem with tolling as long as it's used to upgrade and maintain the tunnel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

Yes, its public/private partnership.. meaning really its a private road that the gov makes sure they keep upgrading it! Should be spotless!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Pure Mule

Toll the Nenagh bypass, then the Ennis Rd & a few more. If our ancestor's had thought of it we'd have had no siege of Limerick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

They only toll a road if there is another road doing the same journey

excellent,two tunnels,:D

interesting never knew that and it makes sense for most situations but not this
    theres no other tunnel like (just like the jack lynch tunnel which wasnt tolled...)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭cyberspi

does anyone know the costs of the nenagh road and the tunnel and where the financing is coming from? - doing a project on roads

• Registered Users Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

bazz26 wrote:
    They have already started the work on the approach road at the Irish Cement Factory roundabout on the Dock road.

Is that what all the noise was!! All day yestarday and all through most of
    the night I heard the sounds of heavy machinery. I thought it would stop
    come evening by All bloody night this constant sound like a Kango hammer.

~B

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

900 metres of a tunnel, the document reads:- in real terms, the length of the dock road from the cement factory roundabout, to the roches feeds roundabout.Class!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Martin Cullen will be turning the sod on the site today. Its finally going ahead after all the waiting.

Martin Cullen will be turning the sod on the site today. Its finally going ahead after all the waiting.
    with his track record, will it leak,be finished on time and be on budget?:rolleyes:

Advertisement