Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Motorsport Sponsorship

• 05-10-2006 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭

Can some biz guru's give me some advice on this..

For the last year I've been rallying on my own money, done 7 Hillclimbs/Sprints and recently done the stonethrowers rally.. However.. i done this on my own money i saved from working during the summer.. I've finished every event I entered, which was my aim.. not to go out on risk throwing the car in the ditch knowing I wouldnt have money to repair it.

Anyway, next year (2007) I want to have a serious cut at it and would favour doing the Southern 4 Championship which has 6 rallies around the south of Ireland. However to do this would mean alot of money and a new car. I'm selling the car I have so I would have my own money to put towards a new car. I'm not someone who sits back and expects things to land at my feet, after all if I had worked a very decent summer job in an IT firm for 3 summers I wouldnt of been able to do what I've done so far, plus I've been out testing as much as I can and have gotten plenty of adivce from an well know Irish champion on driving, but as he said, my car isnt up to it..

So, the question is, how do I go about getting a 'big' sponsor to cover these costs and help me do the championship..

Help me please!!

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,780 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

some of it will be down to the "what is in it for me" for the sponsor. What will the sponsor get for sponsorship, is this sport featured on TV or in the press?

look at the reasons why a sponsor would give you money and approach them on that basis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,774 ✭✭✭Scotty #

What you should do is put together a small 'Info pack' about Motorsport in general, Motorsport in Ireland, the exploding popularity of it, and the Press (TV, radio, newspaper) exposure that it is receiving. How it is only going to get more popular, and how a 'dynamic', 'innovative' company like 'insert company name' can't afford to miss this 'outstanding' opportunity. Talk it up a bit.

Then talk about you and your 'high profile' 'already known in Ireland', 'press exposure' factors, etc etc. Harp on about your 'tremendous' results, and how terribly bright the future looks. Sell yourself.

Set out a little what you are looking for in terms of putting you in for events/travel costs/etc. etc. and how much it will cost them. Talk to one of the guys who has sponsorship to see what they actually get.

Set out what you offer in terms of mentioning your sponsor/s incessantly in your 'constant' press interviews, wearing all thier gear 'all the time' etc etc

Then post out a copy of this to any and all 'Big companies' marketing managers who you think might be remotely interested in spending some of their humoungous budgets on such a great, fun, exciting and exploding(!) way.
    Go outside the motor industry, try and drag in mainstream companies.

I might be inclined to even try the 'consider your offer amongst all the others I have had coming in' reply to initial interest as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Evo

:D thanks for the help!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Ask yourself honestly, are you going to help them sell more? That's the bottom line. If the answer is yes, then explain how in detail, give case studies and peform a comparison against more conventional forms of marketing.

Promoting a brand is fine, but beacuse of the comparatively high costs of motorsport sponsorship (and lack of coverage), brand promotion is not not the first choice for companies. They want sales.

Results although are great, they aren't crucial and to be honest your driving ability is secondary.

Start off with local businesses and company owners that you know, get then onboard as well as the local media. Having some sort of sponsorship on the car is a good start then start targeting bigger companies.

I'm trying to hitch a ride in stock cars in the US right now, either with NASCAR or ARCA. Heres some food for thought about what you want to offer to a potiental sponsor: http://www.nascar.com/2006/news/business/10/24/unilever_marketing/index.html

Advertisement