Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Revenue Site

Options
  • 05-10-2006 8:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭

Was just on their site there and their VRT calculator is down for maintenance.

Just wondering, I know that the VRT is calculated by a percentage of their Open Market Selling Price - but what is the Open Market Selling Price..Is it fixed and is it possible to view a database of such prices for cars/models?

If not then whats to stop them changing them?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

*Apparently* the OMSP is based on actual selling prices. The Revenue supposedly get this from the like of Buy & Sell, Autotrader etc.

They set the OMSP, and can change it any time. I was toying with the idea of bringing in a '95 EG Civic VTI late last year. In December it's OMSP was 800 euro according to the Revenue, but come January it had shot up to 4,500! :(

I paid the VRT on my current car yesterday, but fortunately for me the OMSP is less than half what it should be (for now anyway), so I got away very lightly indeed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭Ronanom

So basically if they see a trend they'l buck it

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

JHMEG wrote:
    *Apparently* the OMSP is based on actual selling prices. The Revenue supposedly get this from the like of Buy & Sell, Autotrader etc.

The prices in those publications are asking prices, not actual selling prices. Big difference and I'd like to think the OMSP is not based on silly asking prices

unkel wrote:
    not based on silly asking prices
    Notice how I didn't mention carzone or CBG;)

JHMEG wrote:
    Notice how I didn't mention carzone or CBG;)

Neither did I refer to those publications. I would have used a word a good bit stronger than "silly" otherwise ;)

• Advertisement

In fairness tho, they can't really phone up people and ask them what did they pay for their car.

JHMEG wrote:
    In fairness tho, they can't really phone up people and ask them what did they pay for their car.

Indeed, so they can not get actual prices from any of those publications. How do they get actual prices or more to the point how exactly is the OMSP established?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Large executive saloons are the place to get good deals on vrt. They usually have them priced quite low from any I've checked. My kind of cars.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dub_dan

Back up working this morning for anyone interested

• Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭tvr

laughed this morning some simi rep on saying that the used car industry ireland sales had fallen sharply and (totally unrelated matter !!! ) he also wanted the number of 5 year old bmw , mercedes coming into the country as imports to be reduced as they were a co2 hazard and we wear importing someone else gas monsters . he suggested vrt should be increased to provent this happening and to help the environment.

talk about bull . he just wants to save his members making the standard 5-10 grand profit on 01-02 bmw and merc's , which have also been probably clocked aswell.

• Advertisement
Advertisement