Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

how do ya feckin dance?

• 05-10-2006 8:33pm

hey eh a lil embarasin i think but basically i cant dance to save me life,now i got no problem going on the dancefloor or anythin i just wave my arms about and wot not but i look like a right tick only for the alcohol id probably care,but anyways any tips on how to pick up a few moves and to get some ladies to dance with me without me makin a show of meself?any help at all is appreciated lol

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I think you'll find that the majority of people have no clue what they are doing either. :) Just go out and watch what the others are doing and copy them perhaps, then make something up of your own. You can be sure that no one is looking at you or too concerned because they are concentrating on themselves most likely and wondering of they look ok. Have fun and a laugh, thats what its all about.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I dunno.
    I dont feel like dancing.
    No sir.
    No not me today.
    Dont feel like dancin, dancin, dancin, shabadabbadabbadaboo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

hey eh a lil embarasin i think but basically i cant dance to save me life,now i got no problem going on the dancefloor or anythin i just wave my arms about and wot not but i look like a right tick only for the alcohol id probably care,but anyways any tips on how to pick up a few moves and to get some ladies to dance with me without me makin a show of meself?any help at all is appreciated lol

Like no ones watching... :)

In all honest you do need some rythme.

This may sound stooopid but have you tried practising? in your room? Just watch a few of the other blokes, ones you think are ok dancers, and pick up a few tips. You don't have to go Friday night fever on the dance floor. Just general in time movement.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I think "waving your arms about" is not the best thing to do. Until you're sure of yourself, it's best to keep to more controlled, smaller movements. Just get used to shuffling your feet and moving your hips to the beat. Watch people around you, see what they're doing, and take your cues from the music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

I'm not much of a dancer myself, but just feel the beat and have fun. Who cares what other people think as long as you're having a good time. Someone who is confident in themselves is the most attractive feature. ^_^

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭sonic juice

yeh its all about having a good time, listening to the brain in you're feet and the rhythm in you're brain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭abetarrush

just dont stand still

and dont point

Try the usuals

*stackin the shelves
    *callin d guards
    *screwin d lightbulb

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

Go loose (dont look like someone is working you with strings).
    No wild movements.. (remember the wedding videos of great uncle norm?)
    let the music rhythm dictate how your body sways and shakes.. close your eyes and feel it.
    Close your eyes and let it go through the blood :).. sinuous as a snake..
    Dancing is a vertical expression of a horizontal desire..... live it!

finally
    Wax on, wax off :D *

*honourable teacher in karate kid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Smile, move your feet about. Forget the other people are there. Don't dance like Mr. Bean. I play with my band at a lot of Weddings, and you wouldn't believe the crimes on the Dancefloor we see ... the foot shuffle ... the zombie (forearms parallel with the ground and swaying them about with a stern face), or the guy who seems like his feet are nailed to the spot, and his entire body is rigid from the knees up, just wobbing about like a flagpole in the wind.

Enjoy it. I never have a clue about what to do, I'll watch people's moves around me, and 5 mins later copy it when no one is looking. You'd be suprised, no one really takes notice, and if a nice girl is on the floor, as long as you're not dancing like a moron, she'll notice your smile more than your fancy schmancy dancin'!

well i move my feet to the rythym and move my hips its my arms that im concerned about,i just feel like im doin the same thing wit my arms and all ill keep an eye out for wot other lads are doin nice one lads

• Advertisement

I dunno.
    I dont feel like dancing.
    No sir.
    No not me today.
    Dont feel like dancin, dancin, dancin, shabadabbadabbadaboo.
    thats funny i was practisin dancin to that song earlier haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

It's all about enjoying yourself and hopefully bumping into a nice girl on the dancefloor. It's not a competition so you don't need to worry about who is giving you points for your "killer moves".

The more aware of yourself you become, the less likely you are to relax and just move to the music, hence making you look even worse. So, forget about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Skank like ya got a pair!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

ned78 wrote:
    Smile, move your feet about. Forget the other people are there. Don't dance like Mr. Bean. I play with my band at a lot of Weddings, and you wouldn't believe the crimes on the Dancefloor we see ... the foot shuffle ... the zombie (forearms parallel with the ground and swaying them about with a stern face), or the guy who seems like his feet are nailed to the spot, and his entire body is rigid from the knees up, just wobbing about like a flagpole in the wind.

that made me laugh so much i nearly died. :D

but seriously, do whatever YOU want to do, relax, enjoy it. girls will see the confidence and (hopefully) not the moronic dancing. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

I make an absolute twat of myself on the dancefloor at least once a week, and ya know what? I love it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

I find its quite hard to dance (like a lot of things) if you are self-conscious, I'll dance for ireland now, but will quite arkward if I'm thinking about it too much so.....
    What I think you should do (and of course if your arsed) is head along to some latin dance lessons or something, these things are usually quite informal , a bit of a laugh and everyone is in the same boat, nobody knows what theyre supposed to do. So , in this way I think it would releive the self consciousness a bit and you'll get good proper dance lessons. When you've finished you'll be a beast on the dance floor!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

You have to study the original "thriller" video by M.J. Get the moves "dead" on and even at the end of the night - even if you look like Fr. Jack but do the zombie dance perfectly it will serve you well;

Ok this worked for me in Lahinch; not saying it will work in the pod ;-)

(another overdue rant: its Lahinch not Lehinch! also Marlborough street! not Marlboro street - You know who you are! grrrrr!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭Mojito

Just do this and you'll be fine! :D

Put your left foot in,
    Your left foot out,
    Your left foot in,
    And shake it all about.
    You do the hokey pokey
    And turn yourself around.

Now put your right foot in,
    Your right foot out,
    Right foot in
    Then you shake it all about.
    And then you do the Hokey Pokey
    Turn yourself around,
    That's what it's all about.

You put your head in,
    You put your head out,
    Put your head in,
    And bang it all about.
    Do the Hokey Pokey
    And turn yourself around.

Let's Do the Hokey Pokey!

Put your right hand in,
    Your right hand out,
    Your right hand in,
    And shake it all about,
    You do the Hokey Pokey,
    And you turn yourself around.

Now put your tongue in,
    And your tongue out,
    Tongue in,
    And Blblblblbl!
    You do the Hokey Pokey
    Turn yourself around

You put your bottom in,
    Put your bottom out,
    Put your bottom in,
    You put your bottom out,
    Put your bottom in,
    You put your bottom out,
    Put your bottom in,
    You put your bottom out,
    Put your bottom in,
    You put your bottom out,
    Put your bottom in,
    You put your bottom out,
    Put your bottom in,
    You put your bottom out,
    Do the Hokey Pokey,
    Turn yourself about.

Let's do the Hokey Pokey!

I'm telling ya the girls will come running! Works every time :p

I understand I'm hijacking your tread & all but I have to agree with the op & say I can't dance. End of. I've read the advice posted above but it appears to be from people who actually dance, problem with me is even getting the courage to get up & do it. OK so its a confidence thing.

I've a siblings wedding to go to in about 6 months & I've no problem going to classes for beginners but do they exist. I'm in my early thirties & where dancing is concerned at this stage probably do need professional help :)

Suggestions welcome

Yours, about to become the infomous Uncle Norm at the wedding & desperate to stop it happening :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭greenkittie

I think the best thing to do is put on some music you really like and dance about your room, try looking in a mirror etc, and eventually it should come to you to a certain extent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

I'm not one for dancing myself but one piece of advice ... get your hands on a copy of Napolian Dynamite ... not just for the dance scene but you see he gets out a video to learn how to dance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9BR4DjqRRI

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Buy some ska music/ madness/ specials/ maytals/ the beat

Dancing to ska is the easiest music in the world to dance.

See any Madness video

All elbows and knees!!!

giidy up/ giidy up :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 570 ✭✭✭manonthemoon

Problem solved. Every dance move of the last 20 years is here..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pS31wHxg89c

rockin:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

waddle your arse and you'll be grand!

Seriously, unless you need to learn how to jive, do the foxtrot or an old time waltz, just let the music take you away.

S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I'm sure that I've gotten much much worse at dancing than I used to be.

Maybe it's because I'm a father now - the law that all dad's must dance badly is kicking in.

I'll still dance though. Almost every dancefloor will contain a few people just as crap as you are, after all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Someone else said smaller movements and I agree. If you feel like a tit dancing at least try to minimise the "arms waving" etc.

I was over in another town a few years back with some friends and they didn't feel like dancing when a certain song came on. I thought "hell, no-one knows me here" and so went up by myself onto an empty floor and effing strutted me stuff all by myself. Point is - it doesn't matter, as long as you enjoy yourself!

I don't know how you can even think about dancing. Last time I was on the dance floor all the hot girls dancing around in skimpy outfits put me on a total boner. I had to excuse myself from the dance floor before anyone noticed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Dancing is natural. Move along with the beat. Just don't pretend you're a dancer in Saturday Night Fever! Those guys look ridiculous!

so yea went out to town last night and danced the night away and i was more relaxed didnt really think of it pulled two girls so thats a good start :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Big fish, little fish, cardboard box.
    Big fish, little fish, cardboard box.

:p

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yep, no mad arm-waving is generally better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,805 ✭✭✭Setun

Buy some ska music/ madness/ specials/ maytals/ the beat

Dancing to ska is the easiest music in the world to dance.

See any Madness video

All elbows and knees!!!

giidy up/ giidy up
    QFT

Ska is fantastic, and you can't help but dance to it. Just go out on the floor and enjoy it. Dance like your personality.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭wailers_irl

I had the same issue with dancing and the like until I stumbled across this video form electric picnic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEwTc_bY538

Hope it helps you as much as it did me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I had the same issue with dancing and the like until I stumbled across this video form electric picnic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEwTc_bY538

Hope it helps you as much as it did me.

Oh dear god! Was there something down the back of her shirt or something? :)

Let us know how you get on in the coming weeks OP.

• Advertisement

Man, here is what to do

WATCH THE MOVIE 'HITCH'

"Just put your arms by your side, bend your elbows so they are nearly paralell to the floor, and do a two step... No man, not like that, move you left leg out a bit, then your right a bit, and keep going"

Advertisement