Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Toyota Avensis

Options
  • 05-10-2006 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Having been away for a month I've come back to find that my car has decided it doesn't want to stay locked, either by locking the doors remotely or by using the key. Strange thing is if I go for a drive it will stay locked for the whole journey and up to an hour afterwards. If I turn off the engine and restart it the doors will unlock themselfs most of the time. Once the doors unlock they continue to try and unlock themselfs. It's a 99 terra 1.6L. If anyone could shed some light on this or if it's happened to you I'd be gratefull for any comments.

Have looked at the fuses but not sure of the relays that are envoled with this system.:confused::confused::confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Is the unlock button on the key dodgy maybe. It might look alright but open it up and take a look.

I'm sure your dealer will sort it fairly cheaply anyway. a friend has the opposite problem with his Vectra

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Used to have a similar problem on a 93 Orion. You'd lock the doors and they'd unlock themselves again, or stay locked for a while then unlock themselves, or just have a random life of their own.

Turned out to be the passenger door handle (inside) was a bit stuck and didn't return to the flush position. Whenever this went past a certain point (bump in the road) it would trigger the central locking to unlock all the doors. Bit of WD40 sorted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Ah Toyota, sure they are only crap. Why would anyone want to buy one of those. Its your own fault for wasting your money on such a lump of dirt.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 kenfjt

Have tired everything, starting to lean towards a relay as both keys seem ok and all the locks are doing what they should. But my owners manual only shows me fuses which is just a little stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 65,401 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

prospect wrote:
    Ah Toyota, sure they are only crap. Why would anyone want to buy one of those. Its your own fault for wasting your money on such a lump of dirt.

LOL! Any other threads you posted this in?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

I am planning in posting in all threads relating to any brand other than Fiat/Alfa.

Why?
    Because every Fiat/Alfa thread gets hopelessly hijacked and it largely goes unmoderated.
    So what?
    If you own/plan to own a Fiat/Alfa then you are eliminated from getting fair and useful advice on this forum.
    But everyone is entitled to their opinion!
    I know, and it is fine, I am objecting to off topic, and ludicrous comments which are pure trolling.

Thanks for your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I wonder has the fact you were away for a month got anything to do with it. Your battery will have lost a lot of its charge during that time I wonder if that could have affected the battery and caused some sort of voltage issue. It should be obvious from the above that I know SFA about auto electrics however I do know that voltage and earthing issues can cause some pretty bizarre electrical symptoms.

Some extra info on this. Batt Voltage is good, have notice that after the car unlocks itself it'll continue do try and unlock itself up to 4 times in a row and this happens every few mintues. took to an auto electrician and get this it was perfectly fine no problem(didn't I feel stupid).
    Have asked my local dealer for a wiring diagram as I know I could troubleshoot it if I just knew where to start but no joy from them.:mad: :(

• Registered Users Posts: 73,454 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

you haven't got an alarm have you?

There's no alarm on this model. Seems to be taking a little longer to unlock. It's almost like the relay was sticking and the more I lock and unlock the more it trys to stay in the correct position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Sounds like the locking mechanism in one of the doors, probably the drivers door. Same thing happened mine (same model) a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I'd also be inclined to think that a door lock is at fault. Do Avensis of this year have deadlocks? Deadlocks only engage with the ignition off - and your problem only happens with the ignition off. Most door locks have various swithes built into them so my guess is that one is sticking.

Advertisement