Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keep having to repair network connection for Broadband?

Options
  • 05-10-2006 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭

I have ntl Broadband and nearly every time I restart my PC I have to manually repair my broadband connection(i.e. go into my netwrok places and select the cable modem connection and select repair). Sometimes this doesnt even work and it just gets stuck while renewing IP address. In this situation I have to restart my pc, plug out my cable modem and then wait till its rebooted and plug it back in.
    Anybody any ideas what could be causing this?
    See pic of my network connections, would it be safe to delete the 'local area connection'?
    NetworkConnections.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

I'd advise you to use the LAN cable instead of the USB cable (if possible) as the USB connection isnt as reliable from my experiences anyway

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

No! Don't delete the Local Area Connection - Delete the NTL USB driver, and use the ethernet interface to connect to your NTL modem - you'll get much more reliable and consistent results using Ethernet thn USB!

You should have gotten an ethernet cable with the modem - if you didn't, they only cost a few euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Plugging in with ethernet is by far the best option but if you are desperate for the usb to work then you are going to have to uninstall all the usb drivers both for the devices and the root hubs and reinstall them again. The windowsUSB driver stack gets very easily broken, I had terrible problems once with external drives and lost complete use of my usb for a while until I managaed to mysteriously get it ack via a reinstall.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

You guys mean an rj45 cable I presume? Yea actually have a few lying around but I always thought usb connection would be more reliable. I even thought quicker(:o) but thats just me getting caught up in the whole usb 2.0 craze.
    I'll give the ethernet cable a go so and delete my ntl usb drivers :)

edit: Plugged in with my ethernet cable and did a few restarts and everything seems nice and stable, cheers guys :D

Advertisement