Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Did Smart increase bandwidth limit?

Options
  • 05-10-2006 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I have the 6mbit broadband.

I just started downloading something and it said 950KB/sec.
    I thought something must be wrong so i logged in to my router...

DownStream Connection Speed 10367 kbps
    UpStream Connection Speed 605 kbps

10 MEGABITS!!! :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

yes i do believe smart have added 3 megs onto packages as compensation for recent events. I dont know however if this is permenent or just for the next few days. But Enjoy it while you can

Regards
    Matthew

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Official Announcement - Service Restoration

Smart Telecom are pleased to announce that restoration of services to our customers began today at midday.

Smart's broadband customers should have had inbound and outbound voice services restored today.

It has come to our attention that some of our broadband customers have lost access to our broadband services over the past two days. We aim to contact those customers directly in the coming days with a view to restoring our service as soon as possible.

We would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise to all our customers for any inconvenience caused during this difficult time and as a token of our appreciation for your continued support, we are increasing the speed of your existing broadband product by an additional 3Mbps.

This upgrade will take place during the next 24 hours and will be available for the remainder of 2006.

We look forward to continue providing you with our exciting products for many years to come.

Enjoy. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭matdabomb

WoW nice 3 months of great speeds. Hopefully other ISP take in Smarts tactics and start raising the bar. I would have been very sad to see smart go as they are really one of the few companies trying to make broadband what it should be and not what Eicon and Conreg are doing.

Regards
    Fugly Fox

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

My line seemingly can't handle the full 6Mbps, and is now upgraded to 4.5Mbps, which is still damn good, coupled with the doubled upload speed which I find more beneficial. \o/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

My line can only do at max about 2mb and not even that reliably (thanks for the crap copper Eircon). Be careful if you're line is not capable of the higher speeds as you might get a lot of dropped connections at times. It happens to my connection quite a bit.

The best resolution for it was to drop the max speed down to about 2mb in my case. It could sort of do 3mb but would keel over and die far too often in that case. We found this out thanks to some intensive testing by the techs over on the smart forums.

Bigger uploads are sweet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

i dont know what the hells going on with mine it keeps trying to tell me ive got what looks like 100mb so thats bollocks. that said the connection is better, it sure as hell whores down HD trailers on apple.com and they always used to jam for me if i tried to stream it. so i reckon my 3 became a 6 yay!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Check the speed that your modem/router is syncing at.

As pointed out above if you line is not the best the increases in speed can be a bit of a poison chalice:rolleyes:

Its a very nice gesture though. If you notice any problems as a result of the speed increases visit the Smart support forum and if necessary one the support lads there (who deserve mucho credit by the way) will sort things out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Legion

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Hopefully this will convince people not to leave them. Apart from the hiccup over the last fews days, it's been a great service for over a year for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,988 ✭✭✭constitutionus

turns out my speeds the same and im an idiot :D:D i'll check tomorrow to see if its changed but to be honest i dont really care that much as im happy with the service as it is. i dont do that much downloading so the3mb is enough for me. still its a nice gesture, cant see eircom doing that. in fact ive found smart are pretty good to ya if anything goes wrong. i got cut off for a month once (guess who wouldnt get the finger out to fix the line:rolleyes: ) and they gave me a months free service for it. i know you can say its only fair but when something similar happened with eircom i got feck all (just one of the reasons i left)

nice to see things seem to be sorted, at least for the broadband section

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Yep mine is up to 10mb now - must reinstate my DD today...:D

Advertisement