Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NATO command in Afghanistan

Options
  • 05-10-2006 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭

I was wondering what y'all thought of Nato assumming command in Afghanistan.I'm not entirely sure,but i think this is the first time US forces have been under direct foreign command since WW2.Like i said, not too sure on that one so feel free to correct me.
    IMO i'm not to sure about the benefits of this move,given the recent upsurge of violence in the country.Is the US still going to be providing the majority of air assets,and if not how will this affect the ability of Nato forces to prosecute their actions against anti-government forces?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

Doesn't make much practical difference, it's just a political thing really.

US forces have worked under foreign control before, it's just not particularly common, especially not in practical terms more than about ten years ago. For example, technically Schwarzkopf answered to the Saudi Chief of Staff, but US forces didn't really 'operate' in any size under any foreigners until a unit was put under British control in the Balkans.

NTM

• Registered Users Posts: 10,489 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Interesting,i was wondering how cohesive the Nato forces would be in their operations together and how commited they are going to be in the face of increased casualties

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭babybundy

its a way for them to tip toe back out there

Advertisement