Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digiweb DSL 3 - Limit

Options
  • 05-10-2006 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hello.
    Yesterday my line has been cut down to 10kb/s. I didn`t know that couse they didn`t tell me about any traffic control site since i`am with them (9 months).They just cut my speed to 10kb/s.Sent email with notification and said as well that for coming days line will be cut. I asked what is that mean this "coming days"...3,5,7 fays or maybe 2 weeks?.... no asnwer yet.

Anyone experienced that? how long i have to wait until my line will be bring back to normal

thakns

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

Your speed returns to normal when your traffic comes back below what you are paying for. You are supposed to get restricted to 128kb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

kc66 wrote:
    Your speed returns to normal when your traffic comes back below what you are paying for. You are supposed to get restricted to 128kb/s

yup/:rolleyes: you will get back your normal speed after your traffic usage drops back to normal.

use this link to check out your broadband usage
    http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

It's become DigiWeb standard now to email a warning once you go even a bit over your cap allowance.

Throttling to 64k I thought but I'll take the guys word on 128k.

kaimera wrote:
    It's become DigiWeb standard now to email a warning once you go even a bit over your cap allowance.

Throttling to 64k I thought but I'll take the guys word on 128k.

yup.they start sending those emails now.maybe tats because of me:D .last time when i got restricted,i keep complaining they should inform me/give me a warning before my speed is restricted:D

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

thanks guys. i think this is worse than limit in 31 days. from 1st to 31st.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

I got throttled to 128k, pain in the ass.

I read somewhere (I think on boards) that someone threatened to cancel their Digiweb account after being throttled, especially after receiving zero warning that they were approaching their allowance limit.
    The got their full service turned back on, but you wouldn't want them to call your bluff.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

i've been throttled twice, never got a warning either time. once to 64k, the other to something like 12k, wasn't able to load most pages (including any on the digiweb site) using the latter. the first time the email said we had been restricted for doing 144gb in the previous 30days, which was not remotely possible, and backed up by the traffic monitor on our side, which registered 100gb less than that. the digiweb tech support maintained that we had done 144gb, despite being unable to provide any breakdown of this traffic. it would have taken god knows how long to drop back under this figure, especially since Digiweb couldn't tell when this was supposed to have occurred. thankfully one of the more helpful lads in Digiweb had a look apparently there had been some **** up on Digiweb's side and we got back to normal speed after over a week.
    the second time, when it was about 46gb, it would have taken 3/4 days to have dropped back under 40gb, we were left waiting 8 days.
    leaving them soon, if there's going to be **** ups like this, i'd rather take my chances with BT and not have to worry about getting ecessively done over for breaking the cap due to digiweb's inability to adequately measure traffic.

the second time, when it was about 46gb, it would have taken 3/4 days to have dropped back under 40gb, we were left waiting 8 days.
    leaving them soon, if there's going to be **** ups like this, i'd rather take my chances with BT and not have to worry about getting ecessively done over for breaking the cap due to digiweb's inability to adequately measure traffic.

Digiweb have an automatic system for restricting/unrestricting. you would have been uncapped within hours of going under your limit if you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

Digiwebs site doesn't metion anything about what the actual cap limits are for each package on thier site.

Out of interest, what is the limit on thier dsl xtra service?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Digiwebs site doesn't metion anything about what the actual cap limits are for each package on thier site.

Out of interest, what is the limit on thier dsl xtra service?

yes it does

whereabouts are you looking?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭CarefulNow

DSL Xtra is 40gb.
    I hate when I get cut back.
    Why do they have to be different when it comes to bandwidth allowance?
    Why don't they just reset you back to 0 after each month?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

CarefulNow wrote:
    DSL Xtra is 40gb.
    I hate when I get cut back.
    Why do they have to be different when it comes to bandwidth allowance?
    Why don't they just reset you back to 0 after each month?

if they reset you to the start every month, it would mean that coming to the end of the month, people would check their usage and see that they have 10 gig left.
    so then on the final day of each month, people would be downloading like mad

this would cause slowdown, high ping etc

it makes sense from an ISP's perspective

• Registered Users Posts: 6,539 ✭✭✭ghostdancer

kc66 wrote:
    Digiweb have an automatic system for restricting/unrestricting. you would have been uncapped within hours of going under your limit if you did.

this is part of the traffic monitoring system that said i did 100gb more than i actually did, yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

I was with Digiweb, and I got throttled without warning also. I needed the connection to VPN to work, and it wouldn't work when it was throttled. I cancelled the service two weeks later and went to NTL instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 374 ✭✭alanbk

I will probably get banned for this post, but so what. When will you F*****'s stop trying to milk the BB system and use it as it was meant to be used. Getting BB does not mean:
    1.Rob as much data as I can.(Despite the fact that Ireland is now one of the main software developer country's in the world and the reason for the CTiger)
    2.Get as much free stuff as I can (and why not, I'm paying for it )
    3.Dolwnload every possible piece of s*** (even if I do not like the band) music because I can do it for free.
    4.Rob every piece of software and then install it for all my mates for free.
    5.F*** up everybody else's contention because I am getting my whack .

I could go on, but you know what I mean. BB is just that. It is a principle of sharing a high bandwidth line with ALL of the subscribers.Go and buy the F***** album if you think it is that good and leave the meagre bandwidth to those who really want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The limits are limits, not targets to use up. IMO a rolling 30days is fairest system to everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,901 ✭✭✭deckie27

seraphimvc wrote:

use this link to check out your broadband usage
    http://mytraffic.digiweb.ie

Wow when did they finally bring out the meter?
    I've been asking for is for 2 years now.

@ Poo-Poo i wasted 14gig of my allowance last month @ :p

deckie27 wrote:
    Wow when did they finally bring out the meter?
    I've been asking for is for 2 years now.

@ Poo-Poo i wasted 14gig of my allowance last month @ :p

i have no idea:p i got restricted last week ,with an email inform,tat link came with the email:p

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Wow! That's new. Not before time either.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭bindybandy

Well I just got one as well for the first time a couple of days ago.
    I have to say first of all that digiweb so far is the best ISP I've ever had with top notch speed & support but I am a little disappopinted with the cap implementation.
    Fair enough to have one to keep a good service going for everyone and I intend to keep to it but their site is not clear at all that it is a "rolling" one.

Have a look at the Metro page and apart from "Traffic quota" and "10gb" or "30gb" etc that's it. The FAQ bit does not have any info on it either.
    The T&C bit says "all services are subject to a Traffic Quota connection of any third party to the Service through use of direct cable connection, which is the sum of the upload and download traffic generated during a 30-day period".
    Maybe it's me at fault but I read that as 30gbs a month, each month. - is it just me being thick or did anyone else think that when taking out the service?:)

Hopefully they will update their site so at least people sign up to them with the correct expectations. I'm sure somebody will comment if I'm wrong but I thought most if not all ISP's have a cap per month and not a rolling one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

With a fixed monthly cap per fixed time of month you could spend 3 weeks with no connection or throttled connection. Also encourages bad traffic spike at end of month giving poorer service to everyone. The rolling cap is more realistic and if you go over a bit you only need to wait a few days to build up "an allowance" if you have 20 ISOs you really have to download/upload. With the calendar month system you always have to wait to next month.

The cap on ALL isps is not a target you must use up but a limit to give fair use of the bandwidth to everyone. Anyone offering truely uncontended and uncapped access is either very expensive or likely to go out of business (for charging less than their costs).

The Internet doesn't really exist. Only Servers and connections all of which are owned and have to be paid for. You are not just paying for a local connection, everyone has to pay a part of the cost of all the backhauls and servers etc out there.

this is part of the traffic monitoring system that said i did 100gb more than i actually did, yeah?
    Do you have to keep bringing that up? Did it happen since?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 mrooqie

So the question is. Is any other provider without limits ? any! If isn`t - so witch one is with biggest. I see many people use BT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 razer00

i will be leaving didgi, they are crap if you go to chorus they have no cap on bamd with and 20mb speed fo 42euro a month, so lonhg didgi web i hate you

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

zombie thread die

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

...and Chorus do have a cap, they just don't advertise it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement