Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Experience with salvia

• 05-10-2006 11:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Dunno if this is the right forum so feel free to move it if not. So me and my friend did salvia for the 1st time last week (20x) anyway just posting here because its been about 10 days now and I still can't adjust back to everyday life knowing that world exists and I can enter it any time. This probably won't make sense for people who have never done salvia but I was in another place. Observing the entire universe from the outside. It wasn't scary at all, just informative. I'm just wondering for anyone who has done it before and had an experience like this how did you go about dealing with it. Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

i've never done salvia before, and i'm sure your posting here has more to do with "am i addicted" then anything else, but if that's the effect it gives i absolutely have to try it. not for the "stoner" effect, but for the creative outlet it might provide me...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 AmoBishopRoden

I'm not addicted, I've done it once and would be very very weary about doing it again. I think there's a door to some screwed up place that's probably best left closed but that's just my opinion. I actually don't think it's physically possible to become addicted to salvia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

I'm not saying your addicted mate, after trying it once it would be impossible, however, the fact that this experience meant so much to you is something to think about, it do not sound like recreational drug use to me, either that or believe me mate you do need to stay away from this place, if you feel; the door should be closed, fooking bolt it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

Salvia is not a recreational drug. Just because you take it like recreational drugs. And the fact that it's legal makes it no less horrifying or damaging than others. Salvia is about as recreational as a near death experience: It might still mean something but it's not fun. If I could pick the worst experiences of my life, they would have been the times I did Salvia. Also, it's not possible to be addicted since it doesn't affect the right receptors or reinforce behaviour with reward.

AmoBishopRoden, I know the kind of experience you're talking about. It's horrible, and it can shake you to the very core. Salvia teaches you things you don't need to know. Believe me: Salvia is supposed to last five minutes. If you're still feeling unreal or worried about the experience after days, it's a warning sign. Salvia is not for you. Unless you feel like drawing a risperidone prescription for a few months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Sounds pretty f*cking intense......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 360 ✭✭eddyc

Sounds like you had one of those existential trips, I know exactly what you mean I've done acid a few times and had many of those experiences

One time one of me mates did salvia and thought he was a dog for a few minutes, crazy ****!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I've heard about Salvia (Salvia Divinorum), but I didn't know what it was until now, just reading about it here on wiki - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salvia_divinorum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Melting reality and seeing the world from different/new perspectives is the reason drugs like this are taken, not for recreation. Taking something like LSD, mushrooms or salvia for a 'good time' is a very silly and dangerous thing to do, imo. That's not to say the experience won't be pleasurable or worthwhile (it might or it might not, tbh), but if what you're after is a fun night out then stay the hell away from psychedelics and stop ruining it for the rest of us.

That said, if you're actually interested in seeing things a little differently I recommend doing some reading first of all (personally I highly recommend Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson, as well as his Cosmic Trigger series of books).

Also, search google videos for an old BBC documentary called "LSD The Beyond Within", which looks at the history of the drug and the arguments for and against LSD trips as a spiritual experience.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Goodshape wrote:
    Melting reality and seeing the world from different/new perspectives is the reason drugs like this are taken, not for recreation. Taking something like LSD, mushrooms or salvia for a 'good time' is a very silly and dangerous thing to do, imo. That's not to say the experience won't be pleasurable or worthwhile (it might or it might not, tbh), but if what you're after is a fun night out then stay the hell away from psychedelics and stop ruining it for the rest of us.

That said, if you're actually interested in seeing things a little differently I recommend doing some reading first of all (personally I highly recommend Prometheus Rising by Robert Anton Wilson, as well as his Cosmic Trigger series of books).

Also, search google videos for an old BBC documentary called "LSD The Beyond Within", which looks at the history of the drug and the arguments for and against LSD trips as a spiritual experience.

Hmmm- a few other authors of note who are known to have gotten some of their ideas through means such as these might include:

Philip K Dick (Man in a High Castle, Imposter, Voices from the Street, Bladerunner, Total Recall, Minority Report, Paycheck, Confessions of a crap artist etc)
    PKD is thought to have experimented extensively with acid.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (well known abuser of opiates)

Etc. Etc.

Someone somewhere once said "All good authors die from substance abuse.....".....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

salvia can be an extremely intense experience. some people cannot handle it. i've seen it cause all kinds of buzzes, from giggling fits to vietnam style freak-outs. it is not a recreational drug. its pretty much impossible to explain what its like to someone who hasnt done it. its mind bending. and i know its a cliché but the walls of reallity and perception do come crashing down.

AmoBishopRoden, this feeling will pass. salvia will not give you chemical 'flasbacks', so what your experiencing now is literally just the 'shock and awe' of what the salvia showed you ie: a state of being you never thought possible even in your wildest dreams. eventually you will come to terms with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

I haven't tried it myself, not overly enthusiastic about hallucinagens until I'm in a position to appreciate them 'properly'

Don't arse about with substances unless you've done research, and have someone to watch you for the 5-10minutes you're staring intently at the fabric pattern on the armrest.

And why'd you go straight for the 20x? Jesus, crawl->walk->run ffs smile.gif

The chemical state of your brain (your 'mood' and state of mind - I don't neccessarily mean alcohol etc.) will affect your experience, just as with any substance.
    You are a biochemical machine. Introducing a foreign substance to this system will have an effect. For Goat's sake, read up on what those effects might be - you're on the intarwebs.

And don't take it so seriously, "door to another universe" makes you sound like a child or a troll. It was a trip, I'm assuming an uncomfortable one. Images and stimuli generated during it were created by malfunctions in your brain while under the influence of salvia. Your body will deal with it and try to/eventually return to 'normal' once the entropy has dissipated. Chill, maybe write down your experience and put it in some kind of perspective.

Don't mix substances. Most folk generally puke or don't feel the best if they mix beer and spirits (in moderate quantity). It's common sense.

This is the problem with promoting prohibition and ignorance instead of open discussion, awareness, education and regulation of such substances - while protecting the young and innocent from such things until they're mature (age is secondary to experience). Banning them is counter-productive in the extreme, however I certainly wouldn't want to see ads for salvia and fly argaric on RTÉ.
    Thank you Progressive Democrats. The irony is not lost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭ferdi

SyxPak wrote:
    have someone to watch you for the 5-10minutes you're staring intently at the fabric pattern on the armrest.
    yes, having a sober babysitter is absolutly essential for this drug.
    SyxPak wrote:
    And don't take it so seriously, "door to another universe" makes you sound like a child or a troll. It was a trip
    it may sound stupid, and of course, it is just a trip, but this trip is so very very severe that you cannot really apply logic or reason to the experience.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

ferdi wrote:
    it may sound stupid, and of course, it is just a trip, but this trip is so very very severe that you cannot really apply logic or reason to the experience.
    Aye, and I didn't mean to understate the intensity - but it was just another experience. You cannot compare it to a tangible 'realtime' event, as it was only you who experienced it. It isn't actually real. It's still just a construct of your psyche.
    You might not like what your brain generates under those conditions, and you may question yourself, but you were under the influence of a rather potent substance.

And I think the point expressed by several people in earlier points should be emphasised - Salvia is NOT a recreational substance. It exists. It can stimulate entertaining experiences. It's available over the counter.
    But the context of usage has been lost in our consumption-based society.
    The experience is promoted without conveying the 'respect' it deserves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I was looking on youtube last night and found loads of clips of ppl using it. Seen one of a guy in a forest freaking out. I also see you can buy this stuff on eBay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Physical addiction isn't the only form of addiction.

People get addicted to gambling, and that doesn't involve any chemicals entering your system.

If you're already saying "I still can't adjust back to everyday life knowing that world exists and I can enter it any time" then I'd say the risk of psychological dependence if you continued to take it is quite high.

Frankly I think the stuff about authors and substance abuse is BS. Sure you can take something away from such experiences, but actually sitting down and crafting something requires a degree of sobriety.

Like any shocking experience (whether good or bad) what you're feeling now will pass. Take what you can from the experience, but realise that you have to live in this reality most of the time whether you like it or not, and be very careful in how you choose to deal with future opportunities to escape it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭Dub_Ster

Its just one of those drugs ive heard about that you should stay away from ,i dont think i could do it from what ive heard , it sounds freeky as fook ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

AmoBishopRoden,

You've just had a powerful shamanic experence.

Salvia is known as a teacher; meaning that you can learn al kinds of things about consciousness and the universe when you take as you have.

What you describe is also a kind of initiation, because you've had an experience that has profoundly changed what you thought reality was about; giving you a new perspective on life.

Now you face the situation where

You can't deny your own truth, though you can organise it better to live more effectively in the World. You need to find a way of making sense of this experience, and also the rest of your life.

If you feel fragmented, then a really good energy healer might be really helpful. If you feel good, but confused, then there are lots of books you can read, like those by Robert Anton Wilson, to help you make better sense of whats happened to you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

turbot wrote:
    AmoBishopRoden,

You've just had a powerful shamanic experence.

Salvia is known as a teacher; meaning that you can learn al kinds of things about consciousness and the universe when you take as you have.

What you describe is also a kind of initiation, because you've had an experience that has profoundly changed what you thought reality was about; giving you a new perspective on life.

Now you face the situation where

You can't deny your own truth, though you can organise it better to live more effectively in the World. You need to find a way of making sense of this experience, and also the rest of your life.
    To be fair, that's only one possible way of looking at it. Read up on it, sure, and decide yourself what to make of it, but don't believe fully in anyone else's BS :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

i'm confused by this concept but how can a drug teach you? What did you learn if anything?
    i'd never touch anything though just interested

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭turbot

Of course it's just one way of looking at it.

How can a drug be a teacher?

Well... put it like this.

In altering your delicate balance of neurochemistry, you use your brain and perceptions in a different way. While perceiving reality differently, you can learn a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

could this make a chemical inbalance in your brain and subsequently make you have mental issues after using it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

If you are having an issue after using a substance to the extent it is effecting your life go and talk to your Dr.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement