Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this legit?

Options
  • 06-10-2006 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭

Back in late July I registered a .co.uk domain with GoDaddy. Now today I'm after receiving a "Confirmation of Registration" letter in the post from a crowd called nominet dated 29th September asking me to go to their website and confirm my details. Who are these people and why would I be confirming my details with them? Is this legit or is it some form of scam? If it is legit why would they wait 2 months before trying to contact me? I'm a wee bit confused by this...

cheers,

John :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

http://www.nominet.org.uk/

I can't explain the two month wait, perhaps a delay on godaddy's side or just a backlog in registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

It is legit, they are the governing body for the .co.uk domain same as the www.iedr.ie for the .ie domain.
    No matter who you register the .co.uk domain with, it is done through nominet.The letter is simply confirmation for their records.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Thanks to the both of ye :)
    I can't explain the two month wait, perhaps a delay on godaddy's side or just a backlog in registration.
    It had been registered at the time as I recieved email confirmation saying so when I registered it and any time I did a whois lookup on it my details were displaying so its a bit strange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I didn't renew 2 .co.uk domains and they've sent me an invoice to renew them for £80 each... WTF ... just sound like chancers to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

steve06 wrote:
    I didn't renew 2 .co.uk domains and they've sent me an invoice to renew them for £80 each... WTF ... just sound like chancers to me!
    They're not chancers. It's 100% legit.

If you registered .co.uk domains with a Nominet tag holder, such as ourselves, you would have paid a lot less than £80 per domain for 2 years.
    If you didn't renew the domain with the tag holder then Nominet will automatically invoice the domain holder (you) at their "public" rate.

If you do not pay the invoice the domain(s) get deleted

end of story

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭realblackstuff

I'm probably kicking in open doors, but why bother with .ie or .co.uk?
    Much easier and cheaper to stick with .com or .biz or .org or even .net
    The likes of Godaddy sell them dirtcheap, no hassle, no confirmation letters.
    And if you go for the likes of www.hostm.com you get 5 websites hosted under one account for less than $100.- a YEAR!
    I personally would not waste €0.01 on any Irish registrar or Irish hosting company. The administrative hassle alone is just not worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Depends what your site is and what you represent. The difference of €25 or so per year could be well worth it to have a .ie/.co.uk over a .com:cool:

If you are targetting the Irish market or UK market specifically then it makes sense to have the .ie or .co.uk domains.

There are a lot of people who have a "buy local" mentality who will be more likely to choose a company just because they think the money will stay in the country and not go to a bunch of foreigners.

JohnK wrote:
    There are a lot of people who have a "buy local" mentality who will be more likely to choose a company just because they think the money will stay in the country and not go to a bunch of foreigners.
    Which is a good thing :)

• Advertisement

blacknight wrote:
    Which is a good thing :)
    Unless your the foreigner who wants their money :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭realblackstuff

Does anybody have irrefutable proof that the same item for the same price sells better on 'xyz.IE' than on an identical 'xyz.COM'?

The majority of people think website.COM, not website.IE or .CO.UK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

Another thing to consider is the level of protection that a .ie address gives you.....ANYONE can register ANY .com address, even if it's solely to have one that looks like yours.

The IEDR is sometimes annoyingly restrictive, but the end result is that your domain name and online presence are better protected as a result.

Well worth the extra few quid.

Advertisement