Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a switch?

Options
  • 06-10-2006 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I've 2 computers, 1 network port. I was told I could get a switch to have them both on the network at the same time.

Can anyone reccomend me a switch (Cheaper the better) to do such a task? I've no idea what I should be getting. Alternitivley is it possible to connect to the desktop via wireless and bridge the connection somehow? I've to use PEAP to get onto the network. (Protected EAP using the college login details)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Here's one that might suit, fairly cheap but would get the job done:
    http://www.expansys.ie/p.aspx?i=114241

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,862 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

www.jagurcompsys.ie and www.marxcomputers.ie do them for a lot less
    try adverts.ie too

for security use wired connections.

If you are connecting wirelessly and you are into the pain of ICS or other ways of sharing internet from the Laptop to the desktop
    one option would be to put a PCI wireless card or USB on a usb cable on the desktop - about €30-40 - and then setup an ad-hoc network. BUT it would not be as secure as PEAP and the college might not let you do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

www.jagurcompsys.ie and www.marxcomputers.ie do them for a lot less
    I think just about everyone is cheaper than Expansys. I don't think I've ever come across a bargain on their site, but then I stopped wasting my time looking there a long time ago!

Advertisement