Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Freeware to Detect and delete Spyware and adware McAfee cannot detect

• 06-10-2006 1:02am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

My computer has slowed down lately as these things do when your computer is loaded with spyware and adware.
    I ran McAfee Virus scan as it is supposed to detect spyware but it found nothing.
    I done a serch online and i found a product by pitstop that would scan my computer for free... so i scanned and it detected over 103 different spyware and adware.
    Problem is the scan is free but you have to then pay for the programme to clean the system.

Does anyone have any links to some free online tools/programs to detect and delete these unwanted programs.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

I use a combination of ewido security suite (it has a 14 day trial but some functions are disabled after that, it still functions), spybot and ad-aware. I also have Windows Defender. Keep your system up to date with Windows Update patches.
    I would chuck McAfee in the bin and get one of the better, free anti-virus tools like AVG Free, avast! or Anti-Vir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

Ruu wrote:
    I use a combination of ewido security suite (it has a 14 day trial but some functions are disabled after that, it still functions), spybot and ad-aware. I also have Windows Defender. Keep your system up to date with Windows Update patches.
    I would chuck McAfee in the bin and get one of the better, free anti-virus tools like AVG Free, avast! or Anti-Vir.

Thanks for the tips - McAfee was included with my PC for 18 months - You dont think its worth keeping on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

If you have a subscription on it, keep it until it runs out and get your updates I guess, otherwise I would just chuck it. Unfortunately I have heard it can be a pain in the backside to uninstall. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭OMcGovern

My computer has slowed down lately as these things do when your computer is loaded with spyware and adware.
    I ran McAfee Virus scan as it is supposed to detect spyware but it found nothing.
    I done a serch online and i found a product by pitstop that would scan my computer for free... so i scanned and it detected over 103 different spyware and adware.
    Problem is the scan is free but you have to then pay for the programme to clean the system.

Does anyone have any links to some free online tools/programs to detect and delete these unwanted programs.

Thanks

Be careful.... because I scanned my system with "SpyDoctor" and it said it found a few spyware infections, but I had to subscribe.

Turns out, that people have been reporting "false positives" about SpyDoctor... so I now feel that I've been scammed.

So, the anti-spyware program that you tried online, is more than likely another scam to get you to subscribe.
    If you gave your system a full scan with AdAware, and "SpyBot Search and Destroy", both free.... then I suspect your system is clean.

You probably just need to start removing old programs that you're not using.

regards,
    Owen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Blackdragon

OMcGovern wrote:
    Be careful.... because I scanned my system with "SpyDoctor" and it said it found a few spyware infections, but I had to subscribe.

Turns out, that people have been reporting "false positives" about SpyDoctor... so I now feel that I've been scammed.

So, the anti-spyware program that you tried online, is more than likely another scam to get you to subscribe.
    If you gave your system a full scan with AdAware, and "SpyBot Search and Destroy", both free.... then I suspect your system is clean.

You probably just need to start removing old programs that you're not using.

regards,
    Owen

Thanks Owen,

I had a feeling it was all a scam but its nice to hear someone else say it as well

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭H3LLg0d

Ruu wrote:

Would agree but get a decnent av pay for it or war3z:D

Its not that an av can detect stuff others cant.Its how well theyre updated with definitions by the companys

Caus if Your to encrypt your own baddy by hand nothing will detect it
    until the av companys learn of it if they do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

Mcfee and Samantic got sued on the grounds that some people may want to install gaytor and other such crap. Now they dont detect half the crap and oddly dont like spybot.

meh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,255 ✭✭✭✭The_Minister

Thanks
    That sounds like they are trying to get your money. I wouldn't pay as they're probably just saying that you have these problems.

Advertisement