Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do we need a stand alone 'Donegal Forum' ?..Donegal

Options
  • 06-10-2006 1:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭

Donegalhas always been treated as a non-entity since the formation of the State.

Has the time arrived for Donegal people to be given their own voice. If you agree then post your honest opinion. I will refrain from listing the injustices the people of Donegal have suffered throughout history.

I would just be happy to see if any other Donegal people, agree that our problems need their own forum ?..

P. :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The "non-entity" status has been reserved for Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

I kind of like being lumped in with the other two. It lets us know how good we really have it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Paddy20 wrote:
    I would just be happy to see if any other Donegal people, agree that our problems need their own forum ?
    No, the NW forum isn't busy enough to be splintered. Also, why perpetuate the notion of Donegal as a non-entity within the state by casting it aside in it's own forum?
    Paddy20 wrote:
    I will refrain from listing the injustices the people of Donegal have suffered throughout history.
    I'd honestly be interested if you did (a brief listing at least), but I suspect similar lists could be drawn up for many other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭bettlebrox

No to the standalone forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

The North West Forum should stay as its name suggests. Maybe in a couple of years from now with a larger uptake of broadband and an increase in users we could consider something like that but in the meantime its like the name of that good old rock group - Status Quo.

Nothing to stop anyone from starting a "Donegal thread" though or a Sligo or Leitrim thread for that matter. I think there were similar type threads running a couple of months back

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I also say No to a Donegal standalone forum. As already said, the NW forum is quiet enough as it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

nope no need for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 87 ✭✭WunderFull

We don't have trains. That's an injustice.

BTW would it be feasible to have a Dgal boards event around Christmas time when everyone's home? Half of us travel half the county to go out anyway.

BTWOTW: Not agreeing to a stand-alone forum. Would need to get more Dgal people posting on boards before we get enough.

WunderFull wrote:
    We don't have trains. That's an injustice.

BTW would it be feasible to have a Dgal boards event around Christmas time when everyone's home? Half of us travel half the county to go out anyway.

BTWOTW: Not agreeing to a stand-alone forum. Would need to get more Dgal people posting on boards before we get enough.

We had a thread about a beers night early in the summer. I was going to organise it for Ballybofey but it sort of petered out. The good members from Letterkenny were reluctant to travel while I don't see why everybody should travel to Letterkenny when Ballybofey is just as handy. I was thinking of people from Donegal Town etc.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

smashey wrote:
    We had a thread about a beers night early in the summer. I was going to organise it for Ballybofey but it sort of petered out. The good members from Letterkenny were reluctant to travel while I don't see why everybody should travel to Letterkenny when Ballybofey is just as handy. I was thinking of people from Donegal Town etc.
    God, yeah! I had forgotten about that! Perhaps the fires of that idea should be rekindled? :)

I guess you are right about Ballybofey being in the middle with relation to Donegal Town, but LKY would be handier for people from perhaps Buncrana, Derry, Carndonagh etc... Then again, I don't know of (m)any that post from those areas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

smashey wrote:

The problem with going to Ballybofey is that you'd have to bring knuckle-dusters with you.

The problem with going to Ballybofey is that you'd have to bring knuckle-dusters with you.
    Ah now, Paddy20 isn't that type of person :D

Anybody with any opinions on beer, please post here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭nanook

paddy, there used to be an individual thread years ago for all the counties in ireland, donegal included, but it was not really a mover, so the grouped them in connection with the health boards or somthing like that.

Dont really see the need for a seperate board but you can bring it up in the suggestions section for a stand alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:
    Ah now, Paddy20 isn't that type of person :D

Could the 'beers night posts' be moved to 'smasheys' excellent original thread ?..

P. :cool:

i think that is what smashey had suggested in his last post.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

North-west is just fine - it's hardly busy so the other lesser counties keep the place lively :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

Donegal has the lion's share of posters here as it's a bigger county, but I don't think it's populous enough to warrent a stand alone forum. As it is, the North West forum can be quiet enough some days, and by leaving Sligo and Leitrim out, it would do neither side any favours. There seems to be a slightly insular vein running through some of the Donegal posts. Other people in the North West feel Donegal is very much part of the same region. I don't know why Donegal sees itself as being separate.

il gatto wrote:
    don't know why Donegal sees itself as being separate.
    Where did you see this? It certainly wasn't in this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

muffler wrote:
    Where did you see this? It certainly wasn't in this thread

::
    Paddy20 wrote:
    Donegalhas always been treated as a non-entity since the formation of the State.

Has the time arrived for Donegal people to be given their own voice.

I thought it was somewhat implied in the above.

• Advertisement

Quite clear I would have thought.

il gatto wrote:
    Donegal has the lion's share of posters here as it's a bigger county, but I don't think it's populous enough to warrent a stand alone forum. As it is, the North West forum can be quiet enough some days, and by leaving Sligo and Leitrim out, it would do neither side any favours. There seems to be a slightly insular vein running through some of the Donegal posts. Other people in the North West feel Donegal is very much part of the same region. I don't know why Donegal sees itself as being separate.

Because, up here it's different. :p

Goodshape wrote:
    ::I thought it was somewhat implied in the above.
    Point taken alright but what I meant was that there was no support at all for a Donegal forum.

Paddy20 made a statement and then asked a question thus inviting feedback and having read through the feedback there is no mention anywhere of il gatto's assertion "Donegal sees itself as being separate"

No big deal really but in a nutshell there is no support for this idea and I dont think anyone else (other than Paddy20) sees Donegal as having its own entity with its own unique problems

I realise there's little or no support for a separate Donegal thread, but that is what this thread is about, and I think it'd be an unnecessary schism to create in the forum. The notion was implied that Donegal required it's own forum as it's different. That's what I was responding to. It wasn't a general criticism of Donegal as a whole.

il gatto wrote:
    The notion was implied that Donegal required it's own forum as it's different.
    This was implied by the OP only in order to get feedback.

Everyone else is against the idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Paddy20

muffler wrote:

Are you sure ?.:D

P.:cool:

paddy i think the donegal vote is like the ireland cyprus game.

I dont think its a goer here but it sparked some conversation.

muffler wrote:
    This was implied by the OP only in order to get feedback.

And I gave him feedback in response to the notion that Donegal was treated as a "non entity". At no point did I say there was support for that notion. I made no "assertion" about anything outside of this thread.

Advertisement