Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question ?

• 06-10-2006 3:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭

I've always wondered this.......Are you allowed to bring in a dictionary into the J.C for languages ? ?

Thanks.:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

I've always wondered this.......Are you allowed to bring in a dictionary into the J.C for languages ? ?

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

EDIT: This comment has been edited due to complaint from OP. <-- Piste

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

hey its a genuine concern for some people who have never taken the JC before. Show a bit of respect and don't slag him....
    It's not like you wouldn't had had some form of query about the JC when you were doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Exactly show some respect. Us 2006 junior certificate guys were in the same situation not so long ago. Anyway dictionaries are not permitted in any examination except whereby a foreign student is doing another language which is not their mother tongue.

or even 2005 :D (in my case)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Acid_Violet

I'm not being serious, don't worry, I've had this question put to me a million times and asked it myself, it's just odd to me somehow that it's still being asked. Now I've learned particularly to be careful when joking or slagging on the internet so that you don't offend some-one.

well good that isnt the way to deal with people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

God forbid someone be insulted on... the internet?!?! : p

But yes. Um. A valid and reasonable question. However, surely foreign students wouldn't be allowed dictionaries if the exam is in any way language oriented?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Acid_Violet: the OP reported your post so I edited out the "ROFLMAO", though you did mean it as a joke, just bear in mind that it was a genuine question.

OP: There's really not much I can do, it was meant in jest though it was a tad snide because your question was genuine.

Play nice kiddies :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Delphi91

...However, surely foreign students wouldn't be allowed dictionaries if the exam is in any way language oriented?

Foreign students (i.e. non native english speaking students) are allowed to bring in a dictionary which will translate from english into their native language - no more. They are not allowed to have dictionaries which give explanations, meanings, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

Its a pity really, we'd all be doing really well in languages. But definetly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭qwertplaywert

this q is like saying can you bring in a laptop,connect to the internet,and use google translater!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 416 ✭✭oRlyYaRly

OR LIKE BRINGING A CALACULATOR INTO MATHS!!!

Oh, wait...

Ah in fairness using dictionaries can be a pain. Takes so long and the words are so tiny. Oh the hardship.

yes......awkwardness.maybe the irish gov WILL allow it actually.............

Ah in fairness using dictionaries can be a pain. Takes so long and the words are so tiny. Oh the hardship.

And then they'd start having to put the alphabet on the English course so we'd know what order the words are in, too complicated.

ah.........I SHALL JUST learn THE LANGUAGE!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭iFight

Piste wrote:
    And then they'd start having to put the alphabet on the English course so we'd know what order the words are in, too complicated.
    Print the alphabet in bold letters across the top of every desk, problem sorted

Ah now we don't want to make it too hard on them, they should do some work!

Maybe not bold letters then

• Advertisement

i know.......but high french and pass irish are SOO hard!!!!!!

French! It helps if you like the language..so..uh..love French and you'll do fine!

but we have not even had a teaacher teach us it since middle of sept.......

I dunno about you, but I find it essential to write the first 7 letters of the alphabet whenever I'm doing music. Or else it's so confusing.

but we have not even had a teaacher teach us it since middle of sept.......
    Practice the tape things and youll do grand, theyre worth a good few marks afaik and are pretty easy

how many marks?

140 out of 320 for Aural
    100 for Comprehensions
    80 for other bit

Advertisement