Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plint Heater

• 06-10-2006 5:01am
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,921 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know of any Irish sites/stores where I can get a plinth heater.

these fit onto the kick board under your kitchen/island unit - for instant heat

thx

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭mjffey

I know B&Q does, but that's the one in Derry. Maybe the Dublin store does also? Try Homebase. I would think that any store that supplies kitchens would sell them.

Good luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

Dimplex make them, so any electrical wholesaler will be able to get you one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 139 ✭✭flocker

You can also connect from your central heating circuit. Using a kickspace fan convector. When the water heats up the fan kicks in, when the water temperature drops the fan stops.

More info myson kickspace fan

Available from plumbing suppliers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,461 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

What is the advantage of these. I've never seen one, but i magine that they provide localised heat quicker. For those morning where the tiles are too cold in the kitchen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

Mellor wrote:
    What is the advantage of these. I've never seen one, but i magine that they provide localised heat quicker. For those morning where the tiles are too cold in the kitchen.

generally used when wall space at a premium in a kitchen.

however quality varies widely, particularly on the noise front.

I use the "Solo" ones they are v good

because of their location I always use a wall stat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Lemo

Dimplex will sell to you directly from their showroom which is on the Old Airport Road near the airport. I priced one last week - €150 inc. VAT. This model has a remote power switch (not wirefree) so you don't have to bend down to turn it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

ircoha wrote:
    however quality varies widely, particularly on the noise front.

I use the "Solo" ones they are v good

because of their location I always use a wall stat.

Very true, the Myson kickspace uses a punched aluminium cylinder fan, these are noisy to start with and are notorious for picking up dirt on the fins. They then go out of balance and wear the bearings making them very noisy! The Solo uses a dynamically balanced impellor, much quieter to start with and as it's an impellor it won't pick up dirt and go out of balance so will have a much longer service life. Heat Merchants stock the Solo Hideaway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Dimplex is a direct electric heater so will be much more expensive to run compared to the "wet" Solo or Myson.

It's a case of "Yeh pays yer money, yeh takes yer choices"

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Do-more wrote:
    Very true, the Myson kickspace uses a punched aluminium cylinder fan, these are noisy to start with and are notorious for picking up dirt on the fins. They then go out of balance and wear the bearings making them very noisy! The Solo uses a dynamically balanced impellor, much quieter to start with and as it's an impellor it won't pick up dirt and go out of balance so will have a much longer service life. Heat Merchants stock the Solo Hideaway.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think the Dimplex is a direct electric heater so will be much more expensive to run compared to the "wet" Solo or Myson.

It's a case of "Yeh pays yer money, yeh takes yer choices"

From people in the trade, they dont seem to be impressed by such heaters. Whats been your experience?. In a similar position, where if we go with the ideal kitchen design, then we'd need such a heater to supplement the heating of the kitchen area. Whats this Solo brand? I've searched the WWW but cant find it. If its quiter than the myson, I'd prefer that, so would it be stocked at most plumbing suppliers?

Thanks

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Tooler

I'm thinking of getting a plinth heater installed in a small kitchen that I'm having renovated.
    The "Solo Hideaway" was recommended above. I can't find any reference to this on the web - anybody know where I could find more information about it, or who stocks them in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Jamees34

Just got 1. Heat merchants stock them. 10,000 btu's @ €300.

• Advertisement
Advertisement