Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are you a Q-jumper?

Options
  • 06-10-2006 8:40am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

Are you one of those people who refuse to wait in traffic? Are you one of those people who no matter what it takes are determined to jump the queue?

Just trying to get a profile of these people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

hawker wrote:
    Are you one of those people who refuse to wait in traffic? Are you one of those people who no matter what it takes are determined to jump the queue?

Just trying to get a profile of these people.
    If you mean one of those motorists who actually read the times on the bus lanes and uses it when permitted, instead of queuing up with all the other dozy muppets on the right lane, they yes, I am a queue jumper, albeit a legal one. ;)

(PS - More suited to Commuting & Transport Forum)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

If you mean one of those motorists who actually read the times on the bus lanes and uses it when permitted, instead of queuing up with all the other dozy muppets on the right lane, they yes, I am a queue jumper, albeit a legal one. ;)

Nope not one of those. If there is a q in a lane to turn left, would you use right lane and then cut in?

hawker wrote:
    Nope not one of those. If there is a q in a lane to turn left, would you use right lane and then cut in?
    No, even if I'm in a strange city and discover that I'm in the wrong lane, I'd keep going and try to turn back again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭fletch

Had one guy blast me out of it this morning with his full lights because I was observing correct lane procedure on the M50, think he thought I was weaving or summit. So he got brake lights in his face for the next mile or so :)
    Anyway, no I'm not a queue skipper. I'm actually the opposite of a queue skipper if such exists. Really enjoyed last week when the guards pulled a guy for merging early over the hatching into the space I had been leaving in front for people to merge legally....Did I laugh! :D

I'm just can't figure out why people do it thats all. Not only does it annoy other drivers but it probably saves them only a couple of minutes at the most.

Only after discovering the commuting and transport forum this minute.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

hawker wrote:

I do it. Usually once it starts moving, you can nip in front of a van, a truck or a Micra/Yaris/Punto driver, as they all take off so slow - no harm done in the end, as I'm just filling a gaping gap left my some sucker taking off to slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

hawker wrote:
    I'm just can't figure out why people do it thats all. Not only does it annoy other drivers but it probably saves them only a couple of minutes at the most.

Only after discovering the commuting and transport forum this minute.
    it's the same reason morons tailgate the car in front in a long queue of traffic doing 40 miles an hour and then leap out to overtake one car at a time whenever they get half a chance (squeezing other people off the road in the process) They never make up any time because the roads are terminally congested, they just punish responsible drivers for leaving adequate space between them and the car in front.
    These are the idiots that make the roads so dangerous for the rest of us

• Registered Users Posts: 22,420 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

I do it. Usually once it starts moving, you can nip in front of a van, a truck or a Micra/Yaris/Punto driver, as they all take off so slow - no harm done in the end, as I'm just filling a gaping gap left my some sucker taking off to slow.
    so you're providing a service then? good man yourself. idiot. I suppose you're the guy who undertakes people at every opportunity and takes roundabouts in the wrong lane because it might save you 30 seconds?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Nope, absolutely not, posted here before about the blatent disregards for the rules of the road EVERY day on the Nangor road. Its a flipping disgrace and I would love to see every one of the offenders get a lifetime driving ban. (It would improve the traffic situation aswell).

No harm? Except p-ing other drivers off. Besides, what if there was no 'van, truck or Micra/Yaris/Punto drivers who were slow to take off'? Would you then be holding the trafiic up on your lane?

BTW your statement about Micra/Yaris/Punto drivers shows what sort of a person you are.

• Advertisement

I'm just filling a gaping gap left my some sucker taking off to slow.
    I take it that you've never driven a fully laden truck? Do you really think that truck drivers take off slowly because they are suckers. It may have something to do with the 44 tonnes behind them and a lot more gear changes. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

As well as the obviuous and illegal forms of queue jumping (eg tearing up a 24 hour bus lane) there are more subtle forms too. For instance if someone is driving along a m-way or dual carriageway and saves time by driving off the mainline at an interchange adn then straight back on again. I don't see anything illegal with that but it is queue jumping and contributes to conjestion as it increase the amount of merging traffic.

Another one is if a driver wants to take the first exit at a roundabout and the left lane is conjested but the right hand lane is empty. So he approaches the roundabout in the RH lane then drives all the way around it, in effect turning the 1st exit into a 5th exit. Again I don't think that's an offence although it might be.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

prospect wrote:
    Nope, absolutely not, posted here before about the blatent disregards for the rules of the road EVERY day on the Nangor road. Its a flipping disgrace and I would love to see every one of the offenders get a lifetime driving ban. (It would improve the traffic situation aswell).
    Are you referring to those drivers that use the bus lane to skip the queue? The bus lane is not in use and all those idiots queueing are in theory the ones in the wrong as they should be keeping left and therefore queueing in the 'bus lane'.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭TheJaff

kbannon wrote:
    Are you referring to those drivers that use the bus lane to skip the queue? The bus lane is not in use and all those idiots queueing are in theory the ones in the wrong as they should be keeping left and therefore queueing in the 'bus lane'.

Yes but all them "idiots" have right of way when the bus lane merges back into the driving lane. But do any of the ignorant "idiots" in the bus lane abide by this rule??? No! They just blatantly ignore the big yeild sign and continue on driving like its there god giving right the jump ahead of other drivers. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

I hate queue jumpers, but more than that I can't stand the people who let them back into the lane in front of them - leave them stuck and they might think twice about doing it again!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

TheJaff wrote:
    Yes but all them "idiots" have right of way when the bus lane merges back into the driving lane. But do any of the ignorant "idiots" in the bus lane abide by this rule??? No! They just blatantly ignore the big yeild sign and continue on driving like its there god giving right the jump ahead of other drivers. :rolleyes:
    Fair enough - the times I have been on it I haven't seen that but I certainly don't condone it!

• Registered Users Posts: 39 deadsoul

Fey! wrote:
    I hate queue jumpers, but more than that I can't stand the people who let them back into the lane in front of them - leave them stuck and they might think twice about doing it again![/QUOT

The navan road is the worst for it between the travel hotel all the way down to the garda station in cabra it alway the same cars the northern one because the garda can't trouch them and the one car I have seen pulled by the gardas when they are doing their job the next day its right back in the bus lane all the down .The best one I seen pulled was a mpv then he try to put his taxi sign on while talking to the garda is there anyway of finding out if these people are give fines ,It should be points .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

kbannon wrote:

I have no objection to them using the bus lane, as it is 'Not In Operation'

My objection is the following:

1. Crossing a solid white line
    2. Not using indicators
    3. Speeding
    4. Overtaking on the left (I have seen this happen when there is little or no traffic)
    5. Failure to observe Yield signs at the end of the bus lanes.

P.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

I don't queue jump either, it's very frustrating as they can cause other vechiles to brake suddenly, this causes an even bigger problem.

Sooner they finish the road-works on the Nangor Rd the better

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭dubred

Has anyone tried turning left off the Belgard Rd onto the N7 southbound at Newlands Cross in the evening without using the out of service bus lane? And anyway why is it not in service, did they paint the lines and decide not to implement it or is it awaiting council approval? Or did they discover that it was full of cars trying to turn left onto the N7 and was completely impractical as a bus lane?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

I can't stand the dicks who drive up on the hard shoulder (at speed) when the two lanes of a dcw are congested. What other idiot lets them join the LH traffic lane when they reach a roundabout or lights!!!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Man that's jackass driving.
    Go and crash for yourself then you might learn something.
    **** sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

Every morning you see Q jumpers on the N11 where you turn right at RTE to go down Nutley lane. I'll admit I have done it once or twice where a gap becomes available (as queing from the very back under the bridge past the montrose can take 20 minutes some mornings :eek: ) but felt like a right knobhead doing it. Now I find it far easier to take the left hand turn off the N11 into the residential area at Greenfield Park, perform a U turn then drive straight down onto Nutley with no Q! Safer, doent p*** any motorists and is far quicker. I am surprised there isn't more prangs at that junction as the middle lane of the DC is always snarled up from Q jumpers jousting to get in.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I really only do it by mistake. Generally when you get a junction with two lanes, both with arrows for going straight ahead. Of course, on the opposite side of the junction, down the road the lane becomes a right-turn or left-turn only lane. Everyone has lined up in one lane, and I think, "Ah great, nice empty lane for me". Then when I get across the junction, I have to push into the other lane.

I don't consider that queue-jumping, since the junction says straight ahead, but if I'm familiar with the junction, I'll usually go into the correct lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

This drives me mad, the small advantage Ez pass holders should have is frequently ruined by A$$holes in the EZ pass lane trying to butt into the pay lane just in front of the barrier. No one in the correct lane lets them in either (rightly so) and they end up holding up the traffic in the Ez lane. Lights, horn, window down abuse from me every time!:mad:

I don't queue jump, nor do I let queue jumpers in.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Bicky

I would never do it on purpose but i seem to lack the ability to judge lane changes and if i miss it i will indicate to try get in. I would also let someone in if they indicate.

I think driving in traffic is such a bad experience and people are forced to do it for hours every day until they get narky. Nobody wants to give way and if you let someone else out they often do not acknowledge you for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭JamesM

BrianD3 wrote:
    For instance if someone is driving along a m-way or dual carriageway and saves time by driving off the mainline at an interchange adn then straight back on again. I don't see anything illegal with that but it is queue jumping and contributes to conjestion as it increase the amount of merging traffic.
    Yesterday afternoon traffic heading north on the M50 was backed up to Firhouse exit. I was leaving at the Tallaght exit heading for Templeogue. Nearly all the cars in front and around me headed straight across the roundabout and went back down to the M50 having jumped maybe 1K of a queue.
    Jim.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

I'm with Larry on this one, but only when I am on the bike. No offence, but all cars are all "suckers who take off slowly" compared to bikes. :D

When I am in the car, unfortunately it is a 1.0l so I revert to sucker status for Larry to take advantage of, so I do not queue jump.

Personally, I believe it is the queue jumpers that agravate the queue for themselves to jump if you get me.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

nereid wrote:
    I'm with Larry on this one, but only when I am on the bike. No offence, but all cars are all "suckers who take off slowly" compared to bikes. :D
    I'd have to disagree judging by most of the bikers who filter in front of me at the lights on the N11 in the morning and then pull away like a wet fart causing me to brake to avoid running into the back of them :) Mind you most car drivers here seem to be afraid to accelerate away from lights at more than about 0.000001 km/h^2 anyway, so maybe it's something in the water, I don't know?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Alun wrote:
    I'd have to disagree judging by most of the bikers who filter in front of me at the lights on the N11 in the morning and then pull away like a wet fart causing me to brake to avoid running into the back of them :) Mind you most car drivers here seem to be afraid to accelerate away from lights at more than about 0.000001 km/h^2 anyway, so maybe it's something in the water, I don't know?

Any decent sized bike (600cc +) will leave 95% or more of the cars on the road for dust at lights without even trying :)
    Sometimes I miss my bike..well a little bit..not at this time of year much though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Advertisement