Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are you a Q-jumper?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Longfield wrote:
    Any decent sized bike (600cc +) will leave 95% or more of the cars on the road for dust at lights without even trying :)
    Sometimes I miss my bike..well a little bit..not at this time of year much though.
    Do you really, really think I don't know that? Give me some credit, please :)

Anyway, just to repeat myself for the hard of hearing ... all I'm saying is that in many, if not most cases, in my experience they don't (for whatever reason), and accelerate away even more slowly than me, not even trying, in my lowly TDCi Focus, which isn't exactly a speed machine at the best of times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

Back on topic, and I would consider myself a serial lane jumper. Can't stand traffic at all, and will do anything to get through it quicker.

It's quite a fine art to be honest. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I do it. Usually once it starts moving, you can nip in front of a van, a truck or a Micra/Yaris/Punto driver, as they all take off so slow - no harm done in the end, as I'm just filling a gaping gap left my some sucker taking off to slow.

With the exception of the use of the word suckers, I'll second this. To be honest, this reduces rather than increases congestion. I wouldn't, however, do it in a situation where to do so would inconvenience or endanger another road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,999 ✭✭✭opus

Victor_M wrote:
    This drives me mad, the small advantage Ez pass holders should have is frequently ruined by A$$holes in the EZ pass lane trying to butt into the pay lane just in front of the barrier. No one in the correct lane lets them in either (rightly so) and they end up holding up the traffic in the Ez lane. Lights, horn, window down abuse from me every time!:mad:

I've managed to do this twice (about a year apart) going to the airport cause I don't live in Dublin and it's not obvious if the traffic is heavy that the rightmost lane is for the EZ pass until you're close to the toll plaza. Luckily some kind soul let me merge left each time :) I'll watch out for it in future now though.

For sure I can imagine how annoying it must be if people do it to you all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Anan1 wrote:
    With the exception of the use of the word suckers, I'll second this. To be honest, this reduces rather than increases congestion. I wouldn't, however, do it in a situation where to do so would inconvenience or endanger another road user.

What's the point of taking off fast only to stopped again 2 seconds later? If I drive slowly when the traffic starts moving, it's not because I'm a slow reactor or because my car is slow, it's because it's less stressful to drive at a slow steady space than "vroom. brake. vroom. brake. vroom. brake".

When I do take it steady, I do notice people behind pulling into the hard shoulder and then trying to pull into the gap in front of me. It's fun blocking them off and leaving them in the hard shoulder. It's even more fun if they make a few more attempts at getting in front of me :) The satisfaction ends though when they zoom up further and some soft touch up front lets them in. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 205 ✭✭Larry David

Akrasia wrote:
    so you're providing a service then? good man yourself. idiot. I suppose you're the guy who undertakes people at every opportunity and takes roundabouts in the wrong lane because it might save you 30 seconds?
    No - I don't undertake or use roundabouts incorrectly. Roundabouts are my specialty.

I take it that you've never driven a fully laden truck? Do you really think that truck drivers take off slowly because they are suckers. It may have something to do with the 44 tonnes behind them and a lot more gear changes. :rolleyes:
    I really don't give a sh*t 'why' they take off slow - they do it, so I nip in front of them. SImple as.
    No harm? Except p-ing other drivers off. Besides, what if there was no 'van, truck or Micra/Yaris/Punto drivers who were slow to take off'? Would you then be holding the trafiic up on your lane?

If there were none of those drivers in the queue, I would ALWAYS find some other sucker who takes off too slow. There's ALWAYS one. I've never (I make a concious effort not to) held up traffic in my own lane, so there's no harm done.

Like I said - I'm just filling a gap that some loser left by taking off too slow. It affects NOBODY - there can either be a huge gap between 2 cars going to waste, or I can be in that gap and save 2 minutes off my journey.

Max_Damage wrote:
    Back on topic, and I would consider myself a serial lane jumper. Can't stand traffic at all, and will do anything to get through it quicker.

It's quite a fine art to be honest. :)
    Agreed - I really think I have it down to a perfected art. Queues are for suckers and losers - like public transport.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Fey! wrote:
    I hate queue jumpers, but more than that I can't stand the people who let them back into the lane in front of them - leave them stuck and they might think twice about doing it again!

agreed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

I do it. It was said earlier that it's quite an art and this is correct. Sometimes you gotta pick a target through profiling. You can always tell who's gonna be slow off the mark or who will leave a forty foot gap in front of them. Look for the L plates and female as they can be easily shafted. Trucks are great too. What I love especially is when they blow the horn at you after you've pulled in in front of them, despite the fact that you would have been able to fit a bus in there. If you don't like it people, tighten up your game!

• Advertisement

Oh and do I ever let anyone in in front of me?

Do i fcuk?;)

wyndham wrote:

Do i fcuk?;)
    Me neither - I just make sure there's no gap for anyone to pull that sh*t on me. It's called reasonable forward progress, and is actually the proper way to drive - losers who leave big gaps are making traffic worse, as it means 3 or 4 cars less get through the lights on each turn.

Stark wrote:
    What's the point of taking off fast only to stopped again 2 seconds later? If I drive slowly when the traffic starts moving, it's not because I'm a slow reactor or because my car is slow, it's because it's less stressful to drive at a slow steady space than "vroom. brake. vroom. brake. vroom. brake".
    I think we're takling at cross purposes here. I'll give you an example of when I do queue jump, I'm not sure whether you know the road, but here goes: Coming up Newtownpark Avenue from Blackrock, you come to a set of traffic lights where the road crosses the Stillorgan dual carriageway. There is one straight ahead lane, a turn right lane and one for turning left. The green cycle is very short, so there is often a fairly long tailback. This situation is compounded by people taking ages to get going when the lights go green, leaving huge gaps etc. I use the turn right lane and almost always manage to merge into a large gap and go straight ahead. The gaps left are such that I am not in any way cutting in on the car behind. On the rare occasion where there is no suitable gap, I'll stay in lane and turn right - it's still much quicker than waiting in the queue. Traffic on the far side of the intersection is usually light, so I'm not delaying anyone there either.
    Stark wrote:
    When I do take it steady, I do notice people behind pulling into the hard shoulder and then trying to pull into the gap in front of me. It's fun blocking them off and leaving them in the hard shoulder. It's even more fun if they make a few more attempts at getting in front of me :) The satisfaction ends though when they zoom up further and some soft touch up front lets them in. :mad:
    This is why I specified that I wouldn't queue-jump in a situation where to do so would inconvenience or endanger another road user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Anan1 wrote:
    Coming up Newtownpark Avenue from Blackrock, you come to a set of traffic lights where the road crosses the Stillorgan dual carriageway. There is one straight ahead lane, a turn right lane and one for turning left...

I use the turn right lane and almost always manage to merge into a large gap and go straight ahead...

This is why I specified that I wouldn't queue-jump in a situation where to do so would inconvenience or endanger another road user.

Is that right-turn lane marked for right-turn-only ? or straight-or-right ? If the former, you're breaking the law.

Same as using bus-lanes during bus hours, same as running red lights. I've surprised some "right turn misusers" on the Nangor road and around Ongar by being as quick off the lights as they are, and then blasting them out of it with the horn when they try to bully their way into the left/straight lanes

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Renegade_Archer

The Dublin Road coming out of Drogheda is _chronic_ for this - the lane on the left is for turning into the Soctch Hall Car park, there is always some... inconsiderate person who feels the need to undertake around 20 cars that did the right thing and stayed in the correct lane, and then squeeze back in again. I once commited the sin of not letting a taxi driver in in front of me, who then proceeded to follow me to the pub I was going to and ask me if I wanted a fight...

I once commited the sin of not letting a taxi driver in in front of me, who then proceeded to follow me to the pub I was going to and ask me if I wanted a fight...

Did you give him one (a fight that is;) )?

franksm wrote:
    Is that right-turn lane marked for right-turn-only ? or straight-or-right ? If the former, you're breaking the law.

Same as using bus-lanes during bus hours, same as running red lights. I've surprised some "right turn misusers" on the Nangor road and around Ongar by being as quick off the lights as they are, and then blasting them out of it with the horn when they try to bully their way into the left/straight lanes

Of course I'm breaking the law. Read my post. I've already said that if there isn't a big enough gap to merge without inconveniencing anyone then I turn right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭franksm

Anan1 wrote:
    Of course I'm breaking the law. Read my post. I've already said that if there isn't a big enough gap to merge without inconveniencing anyone then I turn right.

Calm down - I'm not from Dublin, so I don't know that road and its markings. One other thing I have noticed which is widespread in Dublin and not (yet) in the north is peoples' willingness to "jump the queue" by speeding through red lights up to 5 seconds after they have gone red, when they somehow deem it "safe" to do so.

Safe as in "turn off any peripheral vision, stare straight ahead and blast on through the lights".

Red lights, bus lane misuse, running up the hardshoulder, barging in at the end of the easipass lane, barging in at the end of specific/directional lanes --> all of that sort of queue-jumping behaviour stinks

I that is why they deploy the police at major roundabuots like Liffey Valley ? And what a waste of money that is - just to stop ar$eholes from mocking the rules of the road

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

wyndham wrote:

Do i fcuk?;)

Delightful, Yourself and Larry David are a credit to the general motoring public.

Oh, and you let me in in front of you the other day. ;) Thanks. Chump.

Just to let you know, that queue "jumping" and swapping lanes like you do does impact on the queue behind. For the simple reason that there are now x+1 cars in that lane and for that reason, x-1 cars don't get through that change of lights because you have taken up a space in that lane 20m further up the road.

L.

nereid wrote:
    Just to let you know, that queue "jumping" and swapping lanes like you do does impact on the queue behind. For the simple reason that there are now x+1 cars in that lane and for that reason, x-1 cars don't get through that change of lights because you have taken up a space in that lane 20m further up the road.

L.

Oh no - I feel so guilty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭NeMiSiS

I don't do it, but it us inderstandable. I would say nearly 90% of people can not correct progress on the roads, crawling through lights.. breaking for green lights (Tallaght bypass), not being aware of when the lights will change, not being able to take a lighted junction at more than say.. 10 - 15KM, etc etc.

It's just plain old doddering and stuipidity, I would have thought when a light goes green, all the cars move, not one goes then another then another then another.. and then 4 cars get through... where up to ten could have, obviously not.

TK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,558 ✭✭✭netwhizkid

I don't jump q's, If neccesary I just wait it out and prgress along slowly, (I love my auto for traffic), It gets my goat when queue jumpers try and squeeze infront of you.

I had an incident in Dublin with this on my first time driving up there lat month, on the slip road into Liffey Valley Shopping Centre where there is a Bus lane and ordinary traffic lane some w**ker comes down the Bus lane in a Mitsubishi 7-seater and tried cutting infront of me.

I stood on the horn and shouted out the window at him and forced him to stay in the Bus lane, the Gardai at the roudabout at the bottom pulled him over to the side for it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

I'm surprised only one person picked up on my post about "legal" queue jumping.

If you are taking the first exit (turning left) at a roundabout and the left hand lane is congested but the right hand lane is empty do you think it's OK to drive up to the roundabout in the empty lane and drive all the way around it and come off at what would have been the first exit. Queue jumping or opportunism?

BrianD3 wrote:
    I'm surprised only one person picked up on my post about "legal" queue jumping.

If you are taking the first exit (turning left) at a roundabout and the left hand lane is congested but the right hand lane is empty do you think it's OK to drive up to the roundabout in the empty lane and drive all the way around it and come off at what would have been the first exit. Queue jumping or opportunism?
    Sounds fine to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Oh no - I feel so guilty.

Meh...

I just tried to explain it better for the simple folk like yourself that don't understand the concequences of your actions, essentially there would be much less of a queue if people just progressed "normally".

To be honest, it makes no difference to me, I am well gone when you have progressed your 20m up the road.

L

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

Sounds fine to me.

Im not 100% positive about the legality/or not of this form of q-jumping, but it sure as hell is guaranteed to p*** people off.
    I dont q jump, i will drive a mile to block some knobhead from merging, but then there are days when all is sunny and you wonder..get a life..its too short

Going back to the roundabout jumping, i'll give you an example of what BrianD3 was talking about. (its the greystones to bray road) So the left lane is congested, and you get these oh-so-clever w***ers who rip around, do a lap of the roundabout, thereby preventing any law-abiding motorists from gaining rightful access. Like i say, theres probably no legal wrong-doing by these muppets, just that they couldnt be arsed waiting their turn like everyone else. What makes you so Almighty?
    Anyways, when this happens, and im the first car waiting to join the roundabout, i just drive right across these muppets

I had to do that in Calow the other day.. but I was actully lost, would you have done that to me ? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Happened to me this morning. Some idiot beside me on the roundabout (in the wrong lane for going straight through) tears on ahead to overtake me. Had to brake and nearly hit her. What's annoying is that it's disguised as just being in the wrong lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

NeMiSiS wrote:
    I had to do that in Calow the other day.. but I was actully lost, would you have done that to me ? :(

One can usually tell the diff between an innocent "sorry im not from round here" and the serial "i'll do this every day and stuff you mate" drivers.
    Yes i would let you in, but if i saw you try the same thing the next day...;)

The roundabout in question is clearly marked in advance, its a t-junction, so you only have two choices. Those who take the piss know fine well what they're doing

• Advertisement

Another porblem.. as to maybe why some quques develop is bad road marking.. or not a sufficent amount of room say to turn left. Example of this would be the N81 heading from Blessington, where you turn left into Citywest.. if that road was marked out better and the footpath on the left made 3ft smaller. All the cars going to City west would nothave to quque behind those wanting to go straight on. If you get what a mean..

TK

Advertisement