Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Are you a Q-jumper?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭sirpsycho

The Dublin Road coming out of Drogheda is _chronic_ for this - the lane on the left is for turning into the Soctch Hall Car park, there is always some... inconsiderate person who feels the need to undertake around 20 cars that did the right thing and stayed in the correct lane, and then squeeze back in again. I once commited the sin of not letting a taxi driver in in front of me, who then proceeded to follow me to the pub I was going to and ask me if I wanted a fight...

I'm sick of not only inconsiderate car drivers but the bus eireann buses ALL do this too. there should be a sign warning people that it's only for turning into scotch hall. :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

now here's what really gets to me... I'm in a petrol station, I park in the customer parking area and go in to get a ticket for the car wash. Come out, get in the car and drive over to the carwash when next thing a guy in a giant purple buy4now van just drives in front of me into the que, next thing he gets out and goes in to get his ticket... b*stard didn't even get his ticket before jumping in ahead of me!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Anan1 wrote:
    Coming up Newtownpark Avenue from Blackrock, you come to a set of traffic lights where the road crosses the Stillorgan dual carriageway. There is one straight ahead lane, a turn right lane and one for turning left. The green cycle is very short, so there is often a fairly long tailback. This situation is compounded by people taking ages to get going when the lights go green, leaving huge gaps etc. I use the turn right lane and almost always manage to merge into a large gap and go straight ahead. The gaps left are such that I am not in any way cutting in on the car behind. On the rare occasion where there is no suitable gap, I'll stay in lane and turn right - it's still much quicker than waiting in the queue. Traffic on the far side of the intersection is usually light, so I'm not delaying anyone there either.

I use this junction every weekday and stay in the correct land (and queue)to go straight through it. You can always tell the people in the right turn lane who are going to try their luck and go straight, thereby skipping a 20 odd car queue.

It gives me the greatest pleasure to pace at exactly the same speed thereby blocking them entry and either forcing them to take the right turn or stop and wait for the light to turn red and the queue go through. :D

I would further like to point out that if it's a taxi (the biggest q jumpers) then it puts me in a good mood for the rest of the week!! :D:D

I would also add that junction hopping on the M50 may take a few minutes off your time, but it blocks the access roads up terribly. Not your problem? Well the bike gard in Firhouse doesn't let them do it when he's on and sends them off into this traffic instead (he's great like that!).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Another example of queue jumping is where a motorway mainline is conjested but there's a long empty acceleration lane from an interchange beside it. Drivers move into the acceleration lane from the mainline and then "merge" further up the road. It can be difficult for the cars ahead to see if drivers merging are actually genuine mergers or queu jumpers from further back

As regards doing a lap of roundabouts, again it can be hard to catch these queue jumpers in the act if it's a big roundabout and there is a lot of traffic around. A good example is the 3 lane N4/M50 roundabout. Traffic heading inbound and wishing to cross the toll bridge backs up in the left hand lane while the rightmost lane moves much more freely. It takes an alert driver to spot a queue jumper going up the rightmost lane and doing a lap of the roundabout. Also once the queue jumper is on the roundabout effectively they have right of way over those they've just queue jumped (assuming the roundabout isn't signal controlled by traffic lights, the N4 one is controlled but the queue jumper still benefits)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,685 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

sirpsycho wrote:
    I'm sick of not only inconsiderate car drivers but the bus eireann buses ALL do this too. there should be a sign warning people that it's only for turning into scotch hall. :mad:

When Scotch Hall first opened this was the case, but a few months ago some genius decided that both lanes can be for straight on. Still take great pleasure in seeing if anyone is brave enough to try and carry on next to me in that lane (uness it's a bus or truck).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Dyflin wrote:
    I use this junction every weekday and stay in the correct land (and queue)to go straight through it. You can always tell the people in the right turn lane who are going to try their luck and go straight, thereby skipping a 20 odd car queue.

It gives me the greatest pleasure to pace at exactly the same speed thereby blocking them entry and either forcing them to take the right turn or stop and wait for the light to turn red and the queue go through. :D

As I have already said (twice), if there isn't a suitable gap then I just turn right. The reason I generally don't have to is that many drivers are simply too slow to move off. This is what causes the tailback in the first place. If everyone were to drive properly then the straight ahead lane would be working at capacity, there would be no opportunity to merge from the turn right lane and everyone would be happy. If only.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,991 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Kind of did it myself today actually. I wanted to turn left at a roundabout but the left lane was a bus lane for most of the way. Before coming to the roundabout, most of the cars in front of me pulled into the bus lane, meaning my way into the left lane was blocked. As I was coming up in the middle lane, I noticed a van taking an age to get moving and a huge gap between the van and the next car allowing me to move in and successfully take the first exit.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,393 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Stark wrote:
    Kind of did it myself today actually. I wanted to turn left at a roundabout but the left lane was a bus lane for most of the way. Before coming to the roundabout, most of the cars in front of me pulled into the bus lane, meaning my way into the left lane was blocked. As I was coming up in the middle lane, I noticed a van taking an age to get moving and a huge gap between the van and the next car allowing me to move in and successfully take the first exit.
    Assuming it was a 24 hour bus lane, that wasn't queue jumping at all. Those moronic sheep shoun't have been in the bus lane in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭tc20

What is the ruling regards 24hr bus lanes anyway?
    I do use the buslanes when out of hours, but since when do we have a 24hr bus service? Yea i know about nitelinks, but they dont run 24h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭3ps

I come down the M1 most mornings and merge onto the M50.
    Now, sometimes the ramp can be very congested.... all the way to BEFORE where the hatched lines are.

Some people drive across the merging lane, and across the hatched lines to get to the back of the ramp queue. This is madnress.
    Some people continue driving and when the hatched line stops and the dashed line starts the STOP and wait to be left in.
    I think this is madness.

I drive on at about 10-15 mph and then nip in when I see a space.... usually left by a van/truck for obvious reasons.

Some people think I might be skipping but I refuse to drive across merging lanes and hatched lines and I also refuse to STOP in the driving lane of the motorway, just after a merging lane!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement