Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cheap BMW Diagnostic check

Options
  • 06-10-2006 10:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Can someone recommend somewhere in Cork where I can get diagnostic check done on a BMW, the engine warning light has come on.

X.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

You could always check out EBay for a cheap kit of your own. You would pick one up for about €40 - €50. Cheaper than a trip to the garage.

Cal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

With an engine warning light, I wouldn't rely on an e-bay kit!

What are you driving, and what part of Cork are you in. Also, exactly which light is on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,998 ✭✭✭xabi

The amber engine light - the manual says no more than check exhaust emmssions - its an E46 318

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Cal

Fey! wrote:
    With an engine warning light, I wouldn't rely on an e-bay kit!

It won't fix the problem but at least you will have read the diagnostic code for yourself before bringing it to the main dealer.

It seems all too common these days that your cars onboard computer gives these 'general' warning lights which could indicate any number of problems. Especially intake/exhaust sensors. I for one like to have the option to reset the light and see if it recurs.

Cal.

Cal wrote:
    It won't fix the problem but at least you will have read the diagnostic code for yourself before bringing it to the main dealer.

It seems all too common these days that your cars onboard computer gives these 'general' warning lights which could indicate any number of problems. Especially intake/exhaust sensors. I for one like to have the option to reset the light and see if it recurs.

Cal.

Thats correct, this light can mean numerous things from loose petrol filler cap to more serious problems, the car is driving 100%. If i had the error code i would be better placed to fix myself and save hundreds from rip off mechanics.

X.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

I have the kit & have tested a few BMW E46. The engine warning light was on on two of them & both turned out to be a faulty Lambda Sensor (also called an Oxygen sensor).
    Des Golden is a whizz at the diagnostics over in Wilton, based near the driving test centre. Most places will charge about €50 to do a diagnostic check.
    I am in the Douglas area & could do the check for you if you like. Replacing a sensor is quite straight forward, you should manage yourself.

I do all my own servicing & repair, I'm a self-confessed BMW nut & I only ever brought my cars to the main dealer twice, once to get a new rear window in a '96 320i convertible replaced, the other to get the parking sensors sorted out in a '02 525i.
    I regretted bringing it for the sensors as & have subsequently bought the diagnostic kit (the one that hooks uo to a laptop). I also have all the dealer software. Why goto Kearys/O'Learys & pay €100 plus per hour for an apprentice to learn on my car!!

I have the kit & have tested a few BMW E46. The engine warning light was on on two of them & both turned out to be a faulty Lambda Sensor (also called an Oxygen sensor).
    Des Golden is a whizz at the diagnostics over in Wilton, based near the driving test centre. Most places will charge about €50 to do a diagnostic check.
    I am in the Douglas area & could do the check for you if you like. Replacing a sensor is quite straight forward, you should manage yourself.

I do all my own servicing & repair, I'm a self-confessed BMW nut & I only ever brought my cars to the main dealer twice, once to get a new rear window in a '96 320i convertible replaced, the other to get the parking sensors sorted out in a '02 525i.
    I regretted bringing it for the sensors as & have subsequently bought the diagnostic kit (the one that hooks uo to a laptop). I also have all the dealer software. Why goto Kearys/O'Learys & pay €100 plus per hour for an apprentice to learn on my car!!

Rebel, I have sent you a PM.

Rebel,

Are you still around?

X.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

Perhaps he has discovered that diagnostics is not as easy as he thought :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Don't want to hijack this thread but anybody recommend somewhere for BMW diagnostics in Dublin?

BMW E39 530d with a tail light fault showing on the car graphic display but all bulbs have been changed, all connections cleaned and all lights are working fine :confused:

Also the auxillary heater is on 24/7 with ignition off all of a sudden and has completely discharged the battery overnight and wont turn off unless its fuse is disconnected. So need to find out how to reset this heater or if it could be a relay problem??

• Advertisement

Hi,

This reply is based on my "product knowledge". Please bear in mind that I have not seen the car.

Both of these are common proplems.
    The lamp control module could be faulty but you should change all the rear bulbs first. The current is measured by the LCM so even odd or cheap bulbs can cause this.

The fan on the auxillary heater can run all the time, I presume this is what you mean. If so this can be caused by the resistor in the blower motor.

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭nando

Thanks for the reply.

Yes first of all the battery was mysteriously flat, then it was noticed that there was the noise of a fan constantly coming from the rear part of the engine on the passenger side, then taking out the auxillary heater fuse stopped the problem.

Is this resistor the thing sometimes known as a "hedgehog"?? Is it expensive to fix?

(Edited for spelling errors)

Hi,

Something I forgot to mention. The fan that you mention starts up every time the can system wakes up. So, if the battery is dead the fan will start when you connect jump leads or if you unlock the car after being parked for at least 15 mins.

Yes, the resistor is what is commonly known as the hedgehog.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

hi rebel.ranter,

What kit are you using for your BMW diagnostics?

I had the old carsoft setup for my E36, which worked fairly well off a DOS machine, with an interface i made up.

I have some s/w i downloaded from BMW-scanner.net but haven't had a chance to really try it out with my E46... but it appears to be working with my interface....

P.S. I have the wiring diagram CD that covers most of the recent BMWs, so if you need any info, drop me a PM.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

nando wrote:
    Don't want to hijack this thread but anybody recommend somewhere for BMW diagnostics in Dublin?

Give Al in AC Cars a shout, he's just off the SCR. He knows his BMWs !

You'll get him on 4531433

Advertisement