Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom torrents slow!

Options
  • 06-10-2006 10:14am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭

Is any1 elso suffering from slow torrent speeds since last night? I can't get over 30k/s on my 3MB broadband. My download speed is stable at about 310k/s from http.

The strange thing is as soon as I turn on my torrent program, web browsing becomes modem like. I've tried different torrent programs so this isnt the problem. Is it possible eircom and penalising people when they detect torrent traffic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You may have your uploads set too high.

I hope they have restricted torrents though. Keeps the bandwidth for those that dont hog it 24/7

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 933 ✭✭✭dardoz

Jumpy wrote:

I hope they have restricted torrents though. Keeps the bandwidth for those that dont hog it 24/7

Nah, my upload is set to max 10k/s and regardless of ur opinion on what people use their bandwidth for, if they were blocking or hindering certain types of traffic without stating so in their T&C's I doubt it would be legal. Having said that, I rarely download anything on bittorrent, but when I have previously, I have gotten up to 400k/s.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Eircom have probably started using packet-shaping, snifing out torrent users.
    You're best best would be to use anoterh torrent client, won't mention them as not sure if you can.
    The 2 most popular BT clients have PE, protocol encryption to disguise torrent data and hopefully increase ur speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Tony H

im on a eircom 3m as well and im maxing it out as i type ,
    im using utorrent client with protocol encryption enabled

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Its most likely that the torrents your on have $hit
    seeds and are on public trackers. Thats why its slow.

Am i wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

On my girlfriends eircom connection, my current bittorrent d/l has been stopping completely and then going really slow then stopping then slow... It's really not fair for eircom to target bittorrent users. I use mine for completely legal downloads (I **** you not) and stay within the download limit. No matter what other users do, eircom should not to limit the already crappy service they provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 kevn2m2

yeah they differently are doing something used get 200kv/s when downloading LOST but now bearly 40kb/s. what a boll*xs. any1 have any problems with BT? thinking of changing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

BT suck because they are in cahoots with eircom. Your best bet is to try and escape thier evil clutches. Check out any FWA providers in your area (do not go with Irish Broadband, I had 2KBs d/l speeds with them"). Nova Networks in Cork or Digiweb in various parts of Ireland are pretty good. If you really want it through the phone Magnet are excellent but you'll have severe difficulty getting disconnected from eircom. Expect no phone service for months as they drag their heels. Magnet are definately the best though because they use ADSL2+ (6Mb + 0 contention) and are a major player in the world of internet backbones and peering.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

Jumpy wrote:

What's the problem with torrent users. We all have caps and I think it is the individuals choice if they want to max out that cap in a couple of days. Torrent use is as much a part of using the internet as google and contary to some ppl's opinion a lot of it is legal, ie: http://www.legaltorrents.com/index.htm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,065 ✭✭✭Fighting Irish

one word

newsgroups

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement