Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on best bang for buck .

Options
  • 06-10-2006 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭

Just about 12 months later and I am back again .

I have only about 150 euro to spend .

I have
    Amd 64 3000+
    GA-K8N-SLI
    1.5 gigs Ram
    Club3d 6600 pci express
    400 gig sata hd
    onboard sound

I am an avid online gamer BF2 being my addiction of choice

So , all along , or even back when I first bought this , I had been planning on upping the GFX card , but financial embarrassment changed all that . It is now my intention , again , to go after a gfx card , second hand more than likely , but I just noticed how cheap the Amd 64's have become and was wondering what ye might advise .

Thanks

John

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 1,863 Mod ✭✭✭✭Slaanesh

I have been planning on upping the GFX card , but financial embarrassment changed all that . It is now my intention again to go after a gfx card

Errr, do you mean CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭jonski

Slaanesh wrote:
    Errr, do you mean CPU?

a...no

I have edited the above post , this time to include punctuation , to make it easier to understand .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Yup and then a new procesor!! 4000+ maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭TonyM.

Is your Club 6600 a GT ? I have a 6600gt Gainward golden sample card lying idle for the past six months you could go SLI with it.

• Advertisement

TonyM. wrote:
    Is your Club 6600 a GT ? I have a 6600gt Gainward golden sample card lying idle for the past six months you could go SLI with it.

Nope , it's the vanilla . I am starting to wonder now if I would be better off waiting for a few weeks . When are the dx10 cards due to hit the market ? . I thought it wasn't untill after christmas but now I hear it is sometime in november .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,984 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

jonski wrote:
    Nope , it's the vanilla . I am starting to wonder now if I would be better off waiting for a few weeks . When are the dx10 cards due to hit the market ? . I thought it wasn't untill after christmas but now I hear it is sometime in november .

Sigh, Direct-x 10 is like so many other techs that have come out. Its not going to be what you think it is.

The cards stand a good chance of being slower for direct-x 9 games and as a tech head I am not going to be buying the first gen of cards since I cant see the tech not being bugged to sh*t.

You need Vista as well to play dx-10 games. Vista uses over 512megs of ram just for Windows alone. 2 gigs is going to become the norm.

So you can just buy the 7600gt and have a good fps increase in games, or you can fork out about a grand to be able to use the dx10 card you always wanted.

Actually me being financially embarrassed ( read :cheapskate ) , I was thinking more in terms of others upgrading to dx10 and me buying their current card second hand :) . Over the last number of years I have grown quiet happy being 6 to 12 months behind current tech .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,829 ✭✭✭Alkers

TonyM. wrote:
    Interested - how much? Is it the same as the one in my sig?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,817 ✭✭✭SeanW

Well, the price of AMD processors effectively collapsed after the introduction of the Intel Conroe range, my 2.2Ghz 3700+ went from €245 to €105 on komplett less than 2 months after I bought it, so yeah, if you want to upgrade the processor, you'd best stay with AMD.

As for the graphics, looks like it would be a good idea to get another GeForce 6600 for SLi with your existing one. Komplett has one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

SeanW wrote:
    As for the graphics, looks like it would be a good idea to get another GeForce 6600 for SLi with your existing one. Komplett has one.

Get another GFX card for SLI. Just as a side, you dont NEED a GFX card of the same manufacturer to run SLI it just has to be the same model, although if you can keep them the same you should. You can even run an OC version of a model with a normal version of a model in SLI.

Also how have you got that RAM set up? Is it running in dual channel? It can't be if you've got 3x512. If you have 3 sticks of 512 i'd advise getting another stick of 512 and running it in dual channel. BF2 will eat through all of it, its one of the first games to actually need 2GBs to run really well.

Oh... and just to make sure, what PSU do you have? Running SLI can be quite power hungry. If you have a decent 400w ATX2.0 you should be fine.

Simona1986 wrote:
    Interested - how much? Is it the same as the one in my sig?

Its the same card €75.00 plus €10.00 postage

You would be lucky to get anywhere near that, they were selling in pc world for €50 new. I'd be willing to pay €50 but I might just get a new card if it's much more than that for another 6600gt

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=314827

It cost €195.00 a b-grade card on Komplett is €150.00
    if it is only worth €50 i will just keep it in case i have to rma my own card.

That's an AGP card.
    I'm in the same boat ;)

Right , nothing comming up on the for sale forum and after much mulling over ( it's not often I have money to spend ) , I have decided to go with the following ( I think )

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=318798

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=308955

Now I just got to wait for someone to show up with a credit card .

Advertisement