Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lawn patchy after 3 weeks

Options
  • 06-10-2006 10:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    I sowed ~1/4 acre of a lawn in the middle of September. Now 3 weeks on it's quite healthy looking for about 2/3 of the area, but there are some considerable bare patches. My question is should I wade in now and throw more seed on the bare patches, or is it likely to right itself over the winter? I was fairly careful about spreading the seed evenly, but maybe wind/birds etc accounted for some of it. Is it normal for some seeds to not germinate for over 3 weeks? There's been oodles of rain (you probably noticed) ...

Also, despite my best efforts there are still lots and lots of small stones in it, so many that it's almost inconceivable at this stage to take them out. A friend suggested I roll the lawn when the grass is reasonable healthy and the weather drier, and that should push the stones down and the grass will push up around them.

Any advice welcome, thanks
    /M.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭KoNiT

chuck more seed in, wont do any harm, birds probably had a fiest
    I add more seed to my lawn each year by hand to thicken it up.

Roll after seeding if soil is dry then water (misting) to start germination

Roll when area is dry so soil doesnt stick to roller

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭KAGY

You're lucky, I seed my lawn 2 weeks ago and look at it now (pic attached) Think most of the seed is floating down to Loch Gowna now...

Advertisement