Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of advice needed for xtreme build.

Options
  • 06-10-2006 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭

Just recently I picked up Hopefulls modded case. Which I must say looks better in real life then in the pictures. But I could do with some help as I am unsure what to do with it.

I am thinking about going with a vapochill lightspeed modded into the left hand side of the case. Either that or one mounted on top of the case above the motherboard tray.

Is it possible to run phase change upside down? Or to reverse the direction of head unit hose?

Also, I was going to put in a pa.120.3 and 2 D5's for the gpu, but it seems like overkill. Would I be better of sticking with the 50z and he.120.2 and use the 2 other pumps, rad and storm in another project or sell them?

Parts I hope to buy within a 750 euro budget are

Cpu- overclockers
    E6400 @ 250

ram-shop4memory
    2Gb DDR2 PC-6400 Platinum XTC Series Dual Channel kit - OCZ @ 310

Motherboard-
    ? Not sure. I dont particulary want crossfire or dual pci-ex*16 as I see 2 cards as a waste of money. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Half inch tubing, danger dell fillports and fillport res's and some Zerox racing fluid for around 50 quid.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

link to the case?
    Google didn't turn up anything useful for "Hopefulls modded case or "hopefulls case" aside from lots of general usage of the word "hopefulls".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=52088415&postcount=6

sorry assumed everybody had seen the thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

phase can be run with the phase unit ontop of the case, no problems there.

Sweet although I hope that will be a last ditch option, I reckon I can mount the entire unit inside the case.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ocz have had a lot of rma's with that ram lately, both rev1's & rev2's, incompatibility and other issues with some conroe mobo's. There are a few threads about them on xs forums & dfi-street. Some people couldn't post at all with them, not just the memory voltage or bios issue like with other boards. Could be the source of my booting issues. Go for Gskill hz or team xtreeem, not in komplett tho. This is what i'd advise you go for:
    http://www.memory-configurator.com/products/description/2Gb_Team_DDR2_PC2_6400_Xtreem_Micron_4_4_4_10_Dual_Channel_kit/index.html
    Nice price, great timings & overclock well. Lot of talk about them sticks.

• Advertisement

Right, after a bit of research I am going to get

Vapochill LE from komplett @ 750
    Conroe E6400 from komplett @ 234
    Asus Asus P5W DH Deluxe from overclockers @ 240
    Micron ram from that website @ 310
    Some more water-cooling gear for around 100.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

tis gonna be sweet. throw a few pelts in too to help with the watercooling :)

Anyway, good luck withe the build, and please please take lots of pics and do a nice work log.

anti wrote:
    tis gonna be sweet. throw a few pelts in too to help with the watercooling :)

Anyway, good luck with the build, and please please take lots of pics and do a nice work log.

Funny you should say that, I was looking at pelts on the chipset and gpu. But with such a low load on the gpu in normal windows it would just frost over after a while. Might do it in a month or 2 when I can pick up a 1950xt with folding@home running on it.

Lol, who wants a modded stacker with a he.120.2, storm and 50z. I think I have a 775 Tdx around here somewhere as well. And a maze 4 gpu block. Man I am going to have some bloody list up for sale on adverts.

HAha, so when can we actually fold using the gpu, i read about it yesterday. But cant seem to find anything on the folding home page

http://folding.stanford.edu/FAQ-ATI.html

Theres the Faq, it answers most questions. They expect to have another beta out for x1800 cards, but at about a 1/3 of the speed of the x1900 series. Only Ati cards can do this at the moment, because from a engineering standpoint they have the higher ground. Like Amd over Intel. Doesn't make the cards better though. As far as I am aware this folding still stress's the cpu as it has to compute and feed information into the gpu for intensive folding.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭DemonOfTheFall

Yeah, I believe it puts full load on the CPU and the GPU.

Oh, and you have to quit folding @ home to run a game because it'll have the graphics RAM filled up with stuff and kill game performance if you don't quit before playing...

Kind of misses the point that you can run F@H without noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

can someone pls tell me what you get when folding (just points??)

awhir wrote:
    can someone pls tell me what you get when folding (just points??)

You dont really get anything. You are sort of entered into a points system, o if you have loads of folding rigs you get loads of points. Other than that you get the satisfaction that you are using your pc clock cycles for a good cause.

And why has my thread turned into a disscussion about folding?

why not get a e6600 would say better for phase.

awhir wrote:
    why not get a e6600 would say better for phase.

Money, I want phase but only have 1500 to spend. At the end of the day, I have to sacrifice certain parts to a lower spec then I would like.

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

There are a few problems with folding on ATI GPUs...

I doubt GPUs are designed to run at FULL load for extended periods of time...

It only works with the 6.5 and 6.10 drivers so performance in new games wont be great....

It will probably Increase you electricity bill by 50% :p

what cause does folding go to ?? and how ??

• Subscribers Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭conzy

linkage :)

Basically, Stanford are investigating protein folding, if protein does not fold correctly it can cause diseases such as Alzeimhers, BSE, and several cancers....

The folding@home project shares the workload between millions of computers....

speaking of folding, i now have a folding farm with 7cpus :), just went from 80th to 36th in one week on team boards.ie.

Are you sure you wanna phase btw ? Would you not just go high end watercooling and spend the money you have saved on a better cpu/graphics/ram package ? or even a new monitor ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

phase ftw ;)

• Advertisement

anti wrote:
    speaking of folding, i now have a folding farm with 7cpus :), just went from 80th to 36th in one week on team boards.ie.

Are you sure you wanna phase btw ? Would you not just go high end watercooling and spend the money you have saved on a better cpu/graphics/ram package ? or even a new monitor ?

As gline said phase for the win!

I have high end watercooling. I have loads of high end watercooling, best rads, best pumps and best blocks and I am bored sh*tless of it. So I am moving onto phase. And I could buy a E6600 and dual x1950xt's but I dont see the point. My x1800xt has never had a problem with any games I play at 1280*1024, so why spend the money on a slight upgrade?

I dont buy this stuff to get the best scores or fps. I buy it so I can play around with it and see how it works. And I havnt done that with phase yet.

well that put me in my place :/

Right, have got really pissed off with komplett and their treatment of me and my friends. I work in tech support, sent them 2 items which were broken, had both items sent back saying they were fine and got charged for wasting their time. Thing is komplett had them for 3 months with no contact and they were not working when I sent them. So after talking my manager out of buying and building custom pcs from komplett for marketing at a 25k budget a year, I am moving on.

New build is a custom phase chnage rig, built for the case in mind. Its going to take about a month and a half to have built and shipped to me. Works out cheaper as well with a projected better performance. So with that in mind I have decided to remain with the watercooling and pick up a e6600.

Advertisement