Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie needs a little help with HTML

Options
  • 06-10-2006 11:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭

Hi guys I writing a little html page for my team in work, its nothing overly complicated but i'm having a little trouble with it working in FF.

I'm linking to folders on the network using this code
    <a href="\\project\Help\Project info" target="_blank">Project Information</a>
    for IE it open the folder in a new window.
    however for FF it just open a new browser, i guess its just recognising the target="_blank" part. what am i missing to make the link work.

I had a similar problem with opening files and found i had to add "file:" to the link, is there a similarcommand for folders.

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

It opens on IE in a new window and on FF in a new browser? What's the problem?! Or do you mean that it opens the browser with no content? Maybe it's the space between project and info that you have. Try <a href="\\project\Help\Project%20info" target="_blank">Project Information</a> instead. Iirc %20 means - space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Hi Gordon

when the firefox browser opens it is blank, and i would like it to open in a explorer window rather than the browser so you can access whatever folder you want.

I tried changing the space to %20, but it didn't work. also i tried added a trailing slash to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

So basically you want a list of files in that directory to display in a new window?

Hmm, I got a folder to open on FF there by this code:

<a href="file:///C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/etcetc">click</a>

If you aren't sure what to do just drag the folder onto a fresh FF window Noelie.

Hi Guys,

Yeah that works, it works with or with the "file:" it just needs the three leading slashs.
    But it still isn't quite the way i want it to work, I'd prefer an Explorer Window to open rather than a file list in the browser, this is the way it's working with IE.

• Advertisement

Ah right, drag and drop type stuff? I seem to recall that there may be an addon for FF for that but I could be wrong.

Thanks Again Gordon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 obrienb

use
    target="_new"

instead of _blank

Advertisement