Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BT Broadband Modem do you leave it switched on?

Options
  • 06-10-2006 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if I should leave my broadband modem powered on all the time or switch it off after use? Does it delay or speed up the connection time?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,249 ✭✭✭ongarite

Why would you turn it off, i thought the idea of broadband was always on internet.
    I sure the power usage of a router is very very small indeed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I leave mine on all the time, it's connected to a wireless router to share with everyone in the house. It wouldn't be practical to switch off as someone could be using it. It does need a reboot every now and again though as it tends to stop working. About once every month or two on average.

When you turn them on it takes about 60 seconds to make the connection and be ready. That's about the same as a standard computers boot up time so if you switch both on together then you should not see any delay. Also, if you can't wait 60 seconds for the Internet to be available then you really need to get out more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Well....yes. Don't see why you'd want to turn it off really....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i only turn off my modem(we r talking about ROUTER here,r we?) for awhile after i have been overdrive it for few days(you know wat i mean when you touch it and feel its 'warmth');)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

ongarite wrote:
    Why would you turn it off, i thought the idea of broadband was always on internet.
    I sure the power usage of a router is very very small indeed.
    A 50W power supply can use about 15p a day in power. That's about €55 a year. It's not a huge amount, but if your modem/router is by your computer and you only use the computer for a few hours a day, then it's probably worthwhile turning it off, even if the supply isn't drawing the full 50W all the time.

€50 here, €30 there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 White Van Man

Switching it off means you have to wait while it reconnects.

Leaving it on all the time won't pose any problems. If you're that worried about the electricity cost install some CFL bulbs around the house to offset the power consumption of the modem.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

If you are on those diabolical timed products, I would recommend turning off your modem / router when not using it. You only have 20 hours of usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭Conar

Foxwood wrote:
    A 50W power supply can use about 15p a day in power. That's about €55 a year. It's not a huge amount, but if your modem/router is by your computer and you only use the computer for a few hours a day, then it's probably worthwhile turning it off, even if the supply isn't drawing the full 50W all the time.

€50 here, €30 there, and pretty soon you're talking about real money!

Sorry, I could be completely wrong here (not my area of expertise) but I think those figures are way out.
    My BT router has a 12v 140mA input.
    P=VI ...... 12x(0.14)= 1.68w

Does this mean that it only actually costs about €2 per year or have I gone on a mad one here?
    If it is €2 approx per year I think I'd just leave it on. Mines been on permanently for over a year.

Advertisement