Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GP Fees & prescriptions

• 06-10-2006 11:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭

I have a thyoid problem for which I take one pill a day. My doctor only ever writes me a perscription for 3 months at a time so I have to go back pay him €45 and get the repeat prescription - the medicine is abt €7 for 3 months supply. I mentioned this to somebody in work and they were surprised that I have to pay the full fee when they only have to pay abt €20 when getting repeat prescriptions. Does anybody else's doctor use this policy - I gave them a call there to see if I could do this, the receptionist ask if I had a medical card and when I said no she said I'd have to come in! He's not going to examine me and I'm not sick and i'll be in with him for all of 5 mins so I think this is a bit of a ripoff!:mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭b3t4

Switch doctors.

A.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

I have a very underative thyroid gland.
    I need tablets every day - for the rst of my life.
    I usually see the quack once a year for a blood test.

Apart from that, the chemist shop has a record of all the various
    medications I have been prescribed from time to time. And, not just
    the ones for the thyroid gland either.

So, if I ever need anything, I don't need to go to the quack for
    a new prescription : I just tell the chemist that I want it - Now !

Talk to the chemist. If he doesn't agree - find a new chemist :
    somebody will want your muny sincd Oireland is full of greedy
    little f*ckers.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

NortSoide
    This is the last post any PI mod is going to let through.
    You have been posting so long in this forum now that we think it's time you registered on boards, or post under your existing nickname if you already have one.
    I've only put this comment through because it's helpful, (as some of your other comments have been in the past) but it will be the last, helpful or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I like your style NortSoide!! I'll send my dad to the chemist - he loves complaining and chancing his arm!!

PS thanks Berutial for letting the post thru!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭Caryatnid

Beruthiel wrote:
    NortSoide
    This is the last post any PI mod is going to let through.
    You have been posting so long in this forum now that we think it's time you registered on boards, or post under your existing nickname if you already have one.
    I've only put this comment through because it's helpful, (as some of your other comments have been in the past) but it will be the last, helpful or not.
    Beruthiel. I was just thinking the same thing about NortSoide, when I scrolled down and saw your post.

However I'm not sure if the post was entirely helpful. NortSoide, am I correct in understanding that you persuade a chemist to illegally sell you prescription drugs? Is that allowed? Apologies if I'm wrong, but I thought that the whole point of a prescription was to get something that you are otherwise not allowed to buy.

To the OP: I agree with the first poster, who suggests switch doctors. It is really unfair for your doctor to be charging you full prices like this. Perhaps you could say to your doctor that you think you should be charged half price, or else go elsewhere. (However first check the 'elsewhere' to ensure it is convenient for you.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

strange one, I just ring my doctors receptionist tell her i need a repeat prescription for XXXX and collect it that afternoon

I'm def switching doctors - but i'm going to find out if I'll have to pay full price etc before I do. ;) My doctor only ever perscribes me for 3 months of medicine at a time (I don't need to get regular blood tests anymore because the thyroid is setlled down so he could at least do 6 months at a time)and the more I think of it he's ripping me off - I have to pay him €180 a year to get less than €30 of medicine!:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

I do not see why you can not get a 6 month prescription, have you asked your doctor for that. I also have a thyroid condition and have never had any problems getting the prescription.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Going Demented

I'm on medication for depression. When i can't be bothered going to the psychiatrist i go to my doctor. She gives me a three month prescription. Then when i need another i just ring the receptionist and i get another three months and collect it later - i pay 10 euro for the prescription rather than see the doctor and pay the full whack again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Everyone's circumstances vary and its down to the doctor and pharmacist to decide, not for a patient to brow beat a pharmacist into giving them their medication.

However, from time to time, I've either run out of medication on a weekend or forgot to bring it with me while away and pharmacists will give me 1-2 days without prescription, but only after reassuring themselves that I need it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I give my GP's secretary a call every 2 or 3 months and get her to fax updated prescriptions straight through to my local pharmacy and then I ring the pharmacy and they have everything ready for collection on the way home. I do visit my GP every 6 months or so for a checkup though. It is more than a tad ridiculous to be made pay for a fresh prescription everytime you need one..... The 85 Euro a month for prescriptions is rip-off enough......

Update on this - I went to a different doctor yesterday and it was a real eye opener! She was asking me when I last had blood tests and what the thyroid levels were and I didn't know - the other doctor never told me anything. They have receptionists and you can pay with your credit card or laser not just cash and then even give you a receipt without asking - in the other docs it was either one of his kids or his girlfriend and he used to be really put out when I asked for a receipt. The new doctor gave me a 6 month perscription too so I've saved €50 already!! I have to go back and get blood tests on Monday - its hand because it closer than the hospital and I don't have to wait weeks for an appointment. I should have swicthed years ago! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭mikedragon32

Nuttzz wrote:
    strange one, I just ring my doctors receptionist tell her i need a repeat prescription for XXXX and collect it that afternoon
    Same with my doc although I do make a point of seeing him at set intervals just to chat through any developments or have any of my concerns addressed.

OP, I think if your doc can't fill your prescription in this manner look to change. I'm sure if you let us know what area you live in, someone will recommend a doctor.

Sorry, just saw your last post, OP!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭Grem

What exactly is 'the quack'? The Doctor? Is it so hard to type the doctor instead?

If i need a repeat prescription urgently the doctor will write one and leave it out for me at the reception area and doesnt charge me. But if you actually go into see him, you get charged i think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭upthere

Medical cost in this coutry are unreal. I have to get medication and costs me too much but I get discounts. If you are single with a dependent you can find out about a med card. I got one a few months ago. Would be handy as sometimes when you are sick from work, the work place may not pay you, my current job is like that, and you cannot afford your months meds.
    Use the system. They don't tell you what you can get and can't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Captain Trips

smccarrick wrote:
    Even when you are in work and are expected to pay 85 Euro a month it can be tough..... I did a calculation this evening and figured that last year I spent over 20% of my net income on medications and doctors fees. Between that and the mortgage its a battle to stand still.....

Is it a lot though? People gladly spend over that in a month for a mobile on top of a home phone, or pay €60/month for a television subscription, or even spend that on a night on the town.

Compared to luxury indulgences, it sounds cheap at €85 a month for your health!

I have vhi that includes day to day expenses. The excess is €1 after that I get €20 back per visit - I'll be getting €200 back in the next few weeks. :D

Advertisement