Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barrel Threading

Options
  • 06-10-2006 12:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

No its not another insurance thread...

Was wondering where i can get this done and how much to expect to pay for it. Preferably if someone could let me know by pm or whatever if they know of someone who does it part time that has a small workshop somewhere that doesnt charge an arm and a leg if you know what i mean.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

what kinda gun you gettin it done to??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

.22wmr

Ive found a guy called john greene in waterford who is a gunsmith and is lookiung for €80 so i think ill just go with him. Sounds reasonable enough and other people have had good experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

Ive found a guy called john greene in waterford who is a gunsmith and is lookiung for €80 so i think ill just go with him.
    A wise decision.
    Get him to show you his collection of 'bodge jobs', cut off the sharp end of customers' barrels prior to him doing the job properly.

Oh, and don't voice the opinion that "any handy lad with a three jaw chuck lathe could do this." :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

any turner fitter can

all you are looking for is a thread put on a glorified pipe
    it is that simple

Just takes a bit of care setting up to get it right!

Have dropped it in anyway and it will be ready on tuesday so ill soon have my rifle back with a nice addition to the barrel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭.243

wise decision,ive been to alot of guys and john is the best their is,it is true to a point "any fitter can put a thread on a gloified pipe"but you get what you pay for and its money well spent with john but when you get it back its done "right".As the post previous said take a look at the botch jobs he has on show and youll soon realise i rather spend an extra few bob getting it done right by a rifle builder than a "fitter",their both two completly different quailified people when i comes down to it.btw john is in an elite group of 25 patent guys that can true a barrel up on a lathe from the inside,try getting your fitter to do that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Concur with what Rovi and 243 said.Unless your Fitter has done gun work before.It is alot more than just bunging it in the three jaw and threading away.For one the barrel must be free from the action and run on accurately centerd plugs to run true in the lathe.The experiance comes when you CANT seperate the action from the barrel.AND a real test is ask if he can turn on interrupted threads,appropriate to your silencer.Which means that it only takes a half turn to put the silencer on,rather than a half dozen turns.
    It costs more in shop time setting up the lathe than actual work for a barrel job,hence the price.Not only that if you want to keep your iron sights they have to be reset.So that is gunsmith terrority.E80 well worth it.

Hope he wont be seperating the barrel from the action cause from what ive heard about other cz's its a no no the barrel is in there to stay others have had to cut the barrel from the action to get it done. I was under the immpression the the barrel is set in the lathe just to keep it centred and hand turned on the lathe i've no bases for that assumuntion though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,843 ✭✭✭Clare gunner

Thats why you are paying 80 quid to a gunsmith to do this right.;) :D

Advertisement