Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

US: Spoliers Season 03 Theory: Unnatural Induction

• 06-10-2006 12:18pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭

There is an organisation called Hanso, named after it's founding leader Alvar Hanso. They needed to change some of the core values of the Valenzetti equation, a mathematical equation able to predict the amount of time the world has left before certain destruction. The values of valezetti when translated corresponded this numerical set:

The Hanso org set up Dharma Department of Heuristics And Research on Material Applications . A scientific organisation based on a remote Island carrying out tests to try and change aspects and nature of physical reality in order to impact on the Valenzetti equation.

The experiment failed and the Hanso organisation was being subverted from within.
    The Island was ordered to close. But some scientits didn't want to leave. Some interests (apart from thsoe of saving the world) realised the Island had potenial for other uses in particular that testing viruses and altering genetic structures.

Ben, a senior ranked scientist convined some of the other DI's to stay with him and form a commnunity on the Island either by deceit, by telling them that the world has ended or by drugging and induction(more on this soon).
    The commnunity is set up to imitate a regular western one using props and materials form the original DI.

The Island is divided into 2 sides. One side contains the remnants of the old DI , various Hatches used for the experiments. The other side contains the underwter hatch,the commune and the control base which I suspect is still partly operational at least.
    Smokey is a security system designed to monitor activity of the experiment side. Smokey is an magnetic electronic device able to be controlled from base relaying image and audio back to base.

Hurley recieves the numbers in the real world. He gets out of Hospital and uses them in the lottery setting off a massive chain of events binding our group of losties through a series of vague connections to Hurley(locke box factory etc) and through another series of orchestrated fate and bundles our group into a situation where they all end up on the same flight.

Desmond is found after his body washes onto the shore of our lost Island by Kelvin Inman. An operative of the Swan hatch, the only part of the original DI still needed by Benrys people to disguise the Island from the outside, enable smokeys movement, provides a chamber for transmitting image and audio through the EMF.
    Kelvin is conned by Ben into manning the Hatch. He is a remnant of the DI not inducted into Benrys group. His button pressing in monitored. Agter Kelvin finds Desmond he realises that if he can convince desmond of the importance of pushing the button then he can finally be free of the Hatch using Desmonds boat to escape.
    Desmonds eventually follows Kelivn and end up accidentally murdering him and it is on this fataL day that the numbers reach zero and the magnetic fiel over charges and pulls flight 815 to each of the polar extremes of the Island.

Ben protecting his utopia orders the infiltration and monitorisation of any survivors. After much rigmorole and removing the childern there are lists made of the survivors. The real world files of these survivors are pulled from rela world contacts still retained ny Ben from the days of the DI.
    There is a meeting between Ben and his community as to what to do with these survivors. They decide that certain survivors of the crash should be inducted into their society as the only other alternative is murder. Using the files and the equipment left over after the DI, drugs for inducing lucid dreaming and the monitorisation and implanmentation center where they can project holograpic images and other advance sciences (Walt was able to escape long enough warn Shannon), they decide to put the Losties through a series of extreme tests starting with John Locke.

The big test with Locke is Faith and concludes with Ben having himself captured. Through a series of suggestion and manipulation,Iago style, Ben plants seeds of doubt in Lockes mind about his purpose, the buttons purpose and his relation to his fellow Losties.
    Locke fails his final test after Ben purposefully leads hm and Eko to the the Pearl. The Pearl was a Hatch for monitoring the Swan Hatch and essentially reported that the duty of the pushing button every 108 minutes was nothing more than a simple experiment.
    Every fibre of his being is tested but he fails. [An aside specualtion] Bens secret agenda is to have all the losties fail their induction thereby denying them a place in his utopia.[/\specualtion]

The Losties are then tested one by one by the others.
    Charlie and his drugs
    Claire and her baby.
    Sayid with Danielle
    Jack with Images of his Father
    Hurely with Dave
    Michael with Walt
    Locke with the Hatch

During this time some of them are drugged to make thme more complicit or invoke hallucinations etc.
    Finally a List is made of those worthy enough to face further testing. The List is
    Jack, Kate, Sawyer, Hurley. Hurley is sent back to alert rest of the gorup about what has happened. Hurley is snet back to alert other losties. There will now be a final series of tests for them (the other losties) aswell as the Jack, Sawyer and Kate.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

I like that these theories are starting to get a bit more focused and based upon the show (eg I never lked ultimate theory as it involved too many leaps in logic that couldnt really be explained). i think the lost experience gave alot of information which is useful for formulating theories (it probably couldn't hurt anyone to read a synopsis of its story on lostpedia).

I still don't think I quite agree with this theory though. While it's certainly a step in the right direction, some of the specifics such as the drugging, the DI's relationship with Kelvin, the testing of the survivors etc. I don't agree with. The basic outline is very good though, I think, so well done. Sorry, that was probably no help at all :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

The Kelvin bit is a bit cagey I agree and I also agree that the way theories in general are normalising out is a good thing.
    They made a point to show us the needle on the arms of Jack Kate and Sawyer. Drugging achieves complicity or invokes Hallucinations, I'd stand over this though. Kate was brought to the cage looking drowsy and complicit, she was heavily further drugged I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

stevejazzx wrote:
    They made a point to show us the needle on the arms of Jack Kate and Sawyer. Drugging achieves complicity or invokes Hallucinations, I'd stand over this though. Kate was brought to the cage looking drowsy and complicit, she was heavily further drugged I'd say.

Yeah that is certainly plausible at the very least. Maybe they were just taking a blood sample though just like they did to Michael (although his was also possibly to ascertain if he was Walt's biological father)?

Advertisement