Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

AFT Release 1.2. All networks. New Features.

• 06-10-2006 12:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭

Has the same great features as before:
    - Use your free webtexts from your phone (costs as little as 0.25c per text)
    - Support for O2, vodafone, meteor, other features listed here )

For other features, see the wiki page here

New Features
    - New AFT contacts book, add names to those numbers!
    - Recent messages improved - now shows time sent and recipient.
    - Deletion of recent messages now included
    - Forward recent messages
    - Recent numbers increased to 10
    - No limit on message length (ie > 160 characters)
    - Supports advanced "AFTUser" feature for instant messaging (via msn) and other services

Bugs fixed
    - SE k800i bug where user couldn't enter zero for login name
    - Recent number bug where most recent number was added to bottom of list instead of top
    - For motorola phones there is now an option to switch off the vibration and screen flash, which caused the screen to go blank

Download the latest version from here.
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jar

NB. If you have previously installed a version of AFT, be sure to NOT keep the existing data when the phone installer prompts you.

Wiki page for details, bug reports, requested features etc. Here

This application is, and will always be, freeware.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Excellent Stuff Dal! :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Fantastic work,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

Finally its released :D

Now anyone up for a chat, sign up at http://sms.donutsoft.net (Read this wiki page for more details http://computer.donutsoft.net/sms/pmwiki.php?n=Main.GuideToSettingUpAnAccount )

Once you have your 959 account up, send me a text at 9591 and say hi :)
    To find other friends send findafriend to 95901 and it will go through the userlist and find you someone to talk to.
    Ill have the Directory enquireies (www.118.ie) up very soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 889 ✭✭✭byrnefm

Hi,

tried it just now on my Vodafone V1240 but it tells me "Invalid Java archive (jar). Do I need a .jad file for my phone to make it work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 590 ✭✭✭dal

byrnefm wrote:
    Hi,

tried it just now on my Vodafone V1240 but it tells me "Invalid Java archive (jar). Do I need a .jad file for my phone to make it work?

Have you ever downloaded AFT before and has it worked?
    Jad version is found here:
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jad

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    Have you ever downloaded AFT before and has it worked?
    Jad version is found here:
    http://www.killarneyonline.eu/o2text/aft.jad

I hadn't tried it before (had been meaning to but only got around to it today). Tried it with the jad file but I've gotten the same error message. In my Midlet Manager 'About' section, it says it has runtime MIDP 2.0, so I thought I'd give the above program a go to try to save on txt €€€!. I have installed other jar files on my phone before (BombSweeper being the most recent).

My phone runs WM 5.0 - I don't know if that has any bearing on the application?

byrnefm wrote:
    I hadn't tried it before (had been meaning to but only got around to it today). Tried it with the jad file but I've gotten the same error message. In my Midlet Manager 'About' section, it says it has runtime MIDP 2.0, so I thought I'd give the above program a go to try to save on txt €€€!. I have installed other jar files on my phone before (BombSweeper being the most recent).

My phone runs WM 5.0 - I don't know if that has any bearing on the application?

What is the exact error message and have you googled it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 488 ✭✭Brianb8802

Thanks for the great program Dal, best invention ever!!

Just a few bugs i spotted using my nokia 6680,
    The results screen is showing up balnk again, after i send a message the phone vibrates and i get a blank screen with result up the top. If i send the message to someone not in the phonebook the option to add the number to phonebook is there but nothing about how many text messages i have left. I tried it aswell if i have the wrong password, and the error message shows up no prob, "there was a problem sending the message".

After i installed the new version the program didnt work anymore, just wouldnt start up, i had to reinstall it, but when the pop up came up sayin did i want to save original application settings i had to click no, or else the program wouldnt work.

After sending a multi text, when you go to send another text, the new text is the same lenght of the last one, ie if i sent a 480 character message first the next message i send is going to be 480 chararters aswell. The easiest way to get about this is just to exit the program and go back into it again and it should be a 160 character message again.

These are only smalll bugs and dont take anything away from the great app, just thought youd like to know

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 786 ✭✭✭Akula

Working fine on my blackberry 8700g. Interface isn't really intuitive on bbos though. Would love to see somebody customise a version for the bb interface.

dal wrote:
    What is the exact error message and have you googled it?
    The only error I get is the "Invalid Java archive (jar)." and the installation process stops there.

I tried googling but didn't come up with any solutions, unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Hi Dal, great app, but the message length isn't unlimited like you said, well not for my Sony Ericsson J300i

Edit: never mind i got it working, i never saw the option in the menu.

Noelie wrote:
    Hi Dal, great app, but the message length isn't unlimited like you said, well not for my Sony Ericsson J300i

When your writing a message, click options and go increase message lenght, this will increase the message by 160 characters, you can do it a few times if you want to make even longer texts

Dal, i am in a bit of trouble. Downloaded it and it won't open on my SE k700i - Says Application Error.

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Just a few bugs i spotted using my nokia 6680,
    The results screen is showing up balnk again, after i send a message the phone vibrates and i get a blank screen with result up the top.

When you say "blank" do you mean that there is a blank white screen with the backlight on? On some phones, the java call to make the phone vibrate/flash causes the backlight to shut off and nothing appears on the screen. In the latest release of AFT, this vibrate/flash is configurable. Have you tried turning them off?
    Brianb8802 wrote:
    If i send the message to someone not in the phonebook the option to add the number to phonebook is there but nothing about how many text messages i have left.
    Does the message actually send?
    Brianb8802 wrote:
    After i installed the new version the program didnt work anymore, just wouldnt start up, i had to reinstall it, but when the pop up came up sayin did i want to save original application settings i had to click no, or else the program wouldnt work.
    Yep, absolutely correct, I forgot to mention this in the first post. A clean install of the app is needed for AFT 1.2. So if the phone prompts you to keep existing data, say "no".
    Brianb8802 wrote:
    After sending a multi text, when you go to send another text, the new text is the same lenght of the last one, ie if i sent a 480 character message first the next message i send is going to be 480 chararters aswell. The easiest way to get about this is just to exit the program and go back into it again and it should be a 160 character message again.
    Again, correct, I probably should have created a decrease option. The thing is, even though the second message's limit is 480, if you write 160 characters or under, you will only use up one text.

Thanks for the feedback Brianb8802, it all helps to make the app better and the documentation better.

Webmonkey wrote:
    Dal, i am in a bit of trouble. Downloaded it and it won't open on my SE k700i - Says Application Error.
    When do you get this error? Have you done a clean install? ie opted not to keep the existing data?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭yapyap

byrnefm wrote:
    The only error I get is the "Invalid Java archive (jar)." and the installation process stops there.

I tried googling but didn't come up with any solutions, unfortunately.

I found you have to delete the previous version before installing this version. If you do not and select to use application data from AFT 1.0, it's a mess. Even if the previous installation doesn't work it has to be deleted

Would it be possible to save the details of each login so when switching I only have to change operator? I send texts from the three providers from the one phone depending on purpose and would like to simplify the change between providers

yapyap wrote:
    I found you have to delete the previous version before installing this version. If you do not and select to use application data from AFT 1.0, it's a mess. Even if the previous installation doesn't work it has to be deleted

Would it be possible to save the details of each login so when switching I only have to change operator? I send texts from the three providers from the one phone depending on purpose and would like to simplify the change between providers
    Thats a great idea and will definitely be top of the list for features in the feature release. I am gonna hold off on any major development though and just fix bugs for a while (and I will release a midp 1.0 version of AFT 1.2).

dal wrote:
    When you say "blank" do you mean that there is a blank white screen with the backlight on?
    The back light is on and i can see my background pic.
    dal wrote:
    On some phones, the java call to make the phone vibrate/flash causes the backlight to shut off and nothing appears on the screen. In the latest release of AFT, this vibrate/flash is configurable. Have you tried turning them off?
    Tried turning each on and off but still the same

dal wrote:
    Does the message actually send?
    Ya it sends normally but just without how many texts i have left popping up
    dal wrote:
    Again, correct, I probably should have created a decrease option. The thing is, even though the second message's limit is 480, if you write 160 characters or under, you will only use up one text.
    Ah right was wondering about that

Just one more question for ya dal, what is the force GET option for? Tried turning that on and off but didnt seem to change anything

Brianb8802 wrote:
    Tried turning each on and off but still the same.
    Ya it sends normally but just without how many texts i have left popping up

Thats very strange (and annoying). Are there any scenarios where you actually see how many texts you have left?
    Does anyone else have this problem?
    Brianb8802 wrote:
    Just one more question for ya dal, what is the force GET option for? Tried turning that on and off but didnt seem to change anything
    force GET is an advanced config for those having problems sending with vodafone or O2 (I think some phones don't support http POST). Anyway, I have to trawl through the last thread to see whose phone it was that didn't like http POST

Thats right, it was Moto V3s. Can anyone who has one of these please try again using force GET. (by the way, obviously only use force GET if AFT otherwise doesn't work for you)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,026 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Great work, dal!

Am giving it a try on my Nokia 6670 and will let you know how the new version turns out on it.

• Advertisement

dal wrote:
    Thats very strange (and annoying). Are there any scenarios where you actually see how many texts you have left?

Ah it not too annoying, once the program sends texts im happy. No it has never come up with how many texts i have left. Dont worry bout it, ill get over it.

Dal, all is well. Deleted the original app (instead of overwriting it like i did) and it works a charm.
    Again excellent work

Edit - An idea there, how about you implement a connection test feature. basically get the phone to send some info via post/get and verify it at server side and send back success response. It would help a lot of people isolate login problems to connection problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cupthehand

I installed it and tried to send msg but it just came up at the end...."there was a problem sending your message"........
    I tried using the button for force GET but to no use
    Ive got a Nokia 6233 using O2

cupthehand wrote:
    I installed it and tried to send msg but it just came up at the end...."there was a problem sending your message"........
    I tried using the button for force GET but to no use
    Ive got a Nokia 6233 using O2

double check your login details with those that work on o2 site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭maxitwist

what is the file size and should I be able to open it on my computer?

File size 17kb i think and no it ment to be opened on your phone.

Use Multitext if you want to use your pc

ya used definetly the same login details as if i was using O2 webtxt

Just re-installed there and this time when i press send its says..."please wait ur msg is being sent to....." and there is like a number in the top right hand corner flashin as if counting down from 300
    is this normal?
    There is no GPRS symbol or anything like that coming up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 461 ✭✭donutface

could be that your not giving the app permission to access the internet, with some or other phone i had to change the settigns to always allow it, forgot waht kind it was

• Advertisement

cupthehand wrote:
    That's normal. You didn't say if the message sent sucessfully?

The flash / vibrate unmark features are good in the Moto, but with and without the Force Get, this V3 (S/W R4515) still won't do the business on Meteor

On a separate but possibly related subject I wonder if the following could be done. Have an option to send a message as email with registered name and message contained in the subject line in an organised way. For what I have in mind this would be a no reply address - no spam. I just want the email sent in a particular format to generate a response on a separate server.

Advertisement