Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slow DSL speed

Options
  • 06-10-2006 12:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭

My DSL broadband connection has being very slow recently so I done one of those speed test things, and it came up just under 100kbps. I'm supposed to have a connection of 3mb with Gaelic. Is there anyway way of getting it up around the 3mb mark?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Foxwood

Brian017 wrote:
    My DSL broadband connection has being very slow recently so I done one of those speed test things, and it came up just under 100kbps. I'm supposed to have a connection of 3mb with Gaelic. Is there anyway way of getting it up around the 3mb mark?
    If your phoneline isn't good enough, you will never get 3Mb from your 3Mb DSL connection.

There is usually a diagnostic menu on your router/modem that will give you some information about the characteristics of your line, and the speed that the modem has synched at. If you post that information here, someone will help you to interpret what the numbers mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,911 ✭✭✭Brian017

Ping target IP: xxx.xxx.x.xx
    Ping size: 60 Bytes
    Number of Pings: 1 (Range 1-100)
    Ping Interval 1000 milliseconds
    Ping Timeout 5000 milliseconds
    Ping Result: Pkt Sent:1 PktRecv:1 Avg Rtt:1.0

Is that what you mean?

Brian017 wrote:
    Is that what you mean?
    No. You need numbers that show line attentuation and SNR (Signal to Noise Ration).

This is what an example fro a ZyXEL modem/router:
    relative capacity occupation: 19%
    noise margin upstream: 31.0 db
    output power downstream: 17.5 dbm
    attenuation upstream: 11.5 db
    carrier load: number of bits per symbol(tone)

relative capacity occupation: 10%
    noise margin downstream: 46.0 db
    output power upstream: 12.0 dbm
    attenuation downstream: 13.5 db

Oh. Does anyone know how to get it from a Linksys wireless router? I can't seem to find it.

Brian017 wrote:
    Oh. Does anyone know how to get it from a Linksys wireless router? I can't seem to find it.
    What model? I don't think Linksys make any wireless ADSL routers, do they? You need to get the line statistics from the device that's plugged into the phone line, not from a router that's plugged into a "modem".

• Advertisement

Then you lost me because all that's plugged into the phone is a DSL filter with the phone line and the internet line plugged in it. EDIT: Are either of these the modem then? Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter or Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Foxwood wrote:
    What model? I don't think Linksys make any wireless ADSL routers, do they? You need to get the line statistics from the device that's plugged into the phone line, not from a router that's plugged into a "modem".

Tut tut Foxwood I am shocked:) http://www-ie.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C1&childpagename=IE%2FLayout&cid=1138743421035&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I have used the wag54g and the wag4gs recently and one of them had a facility to show the line stats and the other definitely hadn't cannot remember which though:)

dub45 wrote:
    Tut tut Foxwood I am shocked:) http://www-ie.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C1&childpagename=IE%2FLayout&cid=1138743421035&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper

I have used the wag54g and the wag4gs recently and one of them had a facility to show the line stats and the other definitely hadn't cannot remember which though:)
    Yeah, I was surprised when I checked the Linksys web site and couldn't find any wireless DSL routers.

I never thought to look at www.linksys.ie !!!!

Brian017 wrote:
    Then you lost me because all that's plugged into the phone is a DSL filter with the phone line and the internet line plugged in it.
    What's the model number?
    Are either of these the modem then? Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter or Realtek RTL8139/810x Family Fast
    No. They're the ethernet and wireless adapters in your PC.

Advertisement