Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hendrix

• 06-10-2006 1:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭

Been listening to a lot of Jimi in work this morning, for a guy whose (notable) career lasted all of 4 years, he put out a hell of a lot of suuuuuuuuuuuperb tunes, as well as his stellar guitar playing. Just starting on the Blues album now *tip of the hat to Ancient1*

Rockin :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Tis true! I dunno if there could ever be a definitve archive of Hendrix recordings but if there is one it must be pretty big, he never seemed to stop except for sex and drugs.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Doctor J wrote:
    Been listening to a lot of Jimi in work this morning, for a guy whose (notable) career lasted all of 4 years, he put out a hell of a lot of suuuuuuuuuuuperb tunes, as well as his stellar guitar playing. Just starting on the Blues album now *tip of the hat to Ancient1*

Rockin :)

That blues album is phenomenal....

Hendrix was, without a doubt, a genius...
    I have been listening to him for 18 years and even now, listening to a song I have heard 300 times, I still get blown away by things I forgot about. The "wah" part of the solo on "Along the watchtower" is an example...

A true genius and a pity he died so young...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Keyzer wrote:
    A true genius and a pity he died so young...
    As Bill Hicks once said, Jimi was not of this world. A flying saucer dropped him off and said "see you in 27 years Jimi".

It's amazing he did what he did by such a young age, compared to the current batch of boyband muppets who are hitting 30 and still trying to look like 14 year olds.

The thing that amazed me most about him was his right hand. He appears to be doing nothing on the neck of the guitar if you watch him, yet he's doing everything if you just listen to him playing.

Jimi was painfully shy about his voice and used to insist on recording vocal tracks in the studio in total darkness and behind a partition.

The famous guitar-burning at Monetrey came about as both Jimi and The Who didn't want to follow each other as both he and Townshend were in total awe of each other. Townshend, being more 'wordy' and verbally articulate won the argument and made sure he didn't have to follow Hendrix. Hendrix in return just listened to Townshend and said "Ok man, if I'm following
    you, I'm putting out *all* the stops" and that he did.

It's interesting to consider what Hendrix would have been doing had he lived. One thing is for sure, the guy was a gadget and technology freak and would burn the midnight oil in the studio obsessively trying out the latest effects boxes and experimenting with recording techniques. I'm sure he would have been one of the earliest exponents of electronic music had he lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭sinjin_smythe

yeah i never get tired of hey joe or the wind cries mary, and then to really show his electricity purple haze :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭*Tripper*

Anybody see the Hendrix documentary on Channel 4 or More4 during the week? It really was the best one I have seen. The things that emerged from it that i never knew were that he didnt want to do the burning guitar, knocking amp thing as his carear progressed and he would say "this is some new stuff" and the crowd would boo wtf???

Anyone else see it, theres way to much to type!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

I really have to be in the mood for Hendrix. Not that I think he's crap or anything but me and him never really saw eye to eye. There's only one song of his I can listen to any time and that's "Voodoo Chile". The main riff (but it's more than just a riff) just after the intro is face meltingly amazing. It's up there with the feedback solo on VU's "I Heard Her Call My Name". Those two songs make me go "Yeah!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

It's interesting to consider what Hendrix would have been doing had he lived. One thing is for sure, the guy was a gadget and technology freak and would burn the midnight oil in the studio obsessively trying out the latest effects boxes and experimenting with recording techniques. I'm sure he would have been one of the earliest exponents of electronic music had he lived.
    Maybe he could have had a synth phase. With Kraftwerk. Maybe.

Either way, like most dead legends, it was probably better for his music that he did die. There's always the possibility that he could have just faded away, which would have been a shame.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭Ancient1

Jimi was a bluesman at heart, and the Blues record is one of my all-time favourites.

It's incredible and it floors me every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Either way, like most dead legends, it was probably better for his music that he did die. There's always the possibility that he could have just faded away, which would have been a shame.

Or had a revival with covers and stuff like Sexbomb!

Mike.

Advertisement