Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marinading - room temp or fridge?

• 06-10-2006 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭

For hygiene reasons I can understand wanting to put it in a fridge when marinading but I've always thought that doing so causes the meat to contract and the marinade has less effect.

I tend to leave meat marinading for about 45 mins/hour before putting it into the fridge. Haven't had any nasty experiences but I was wondering what other people tend to do - fridge it or leave it at room temp.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I generally fridge only if leaving it out would be likely to cause health/safety problems.

So generally nothing stays out overnight, and in the height of summer (> 30 degrees, with humidity) I might consider putting fish/poultry/pork in immediately.

Now that you've brought up the subject though....does it make a difference if the marinading is done in an airtight container or not? Indeed, I would on occasion use a freezer bag and "push" all the air out. Some people say it worsens the marinading, others say it improves it. I do it for convenience reasons. Anyone any thoughts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭fatherdougalmag

I think we're wandering into Heston Blumenthal territory here but I'd imagine the (small) vacuum created by de-airing the bag would hinder the free movement of the marinade and, consequently, would stop it from getting into the meat. As for an air-tight container, that would probably be a happy comprimise between room temping and hygiene.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,472 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I always marinade stuff in plastic bags, because I can get away with using less marinade that way, it's less messy, plus it ensures that all sides of the meat are in contact with the marinade. As for fridge or not, it depends on what kind of meat and marinade it is. I'd say anything under an hour if I'm going to cook it straight away out of the fridge, longer marinades of say beef in red wine, in the fridge.

Advertisement